Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,088,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
My older brother and his family moved to Christian County KY in the 90s (tiny Crofton) and the first thing that struck me was the fairness of the people there. You don't have too many people of Mediterranean background (Italian, Greek, Portuguese, etc..) or Jewish background that you do on the either coast. I was in England for nine months and I always thought white Americans in Southern states like Kentucky definitely show their British origins from a features and coloring point of view. I think that Native American influence on them is vastly overstated if not a myth.
-----------

Preobably the English that went there were from a very specific region and they evolved into people that don't bear any resemblance with modern day English people. Most people in England are not fair, and there's certain abondance of dark looks in certain areas such as Wales, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Brits tend to have a very different dressing style- I would not say they are better dressed. They have a more Euro flair..the younger generation is trendy but the older circles are very dowdy.
I agree with the poster before mine that generally Americans put greater emphasis on appearance- despite what people around the world think of many American subgroups that represent otherwise.
-------

No way. English are a sore thumb in any European country. They dress strange and cheap for the most part except a minority. One wonders how a country that created the best fashion for men dresses in such a way.

Last edited by Manolón; 01-30-2011 at 07:21 AM..

Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 AM

Just another thing....
There's no official English look.
British looks are very diverse, ranging from Sean Connery, Mr. Bean, Zeta-Jones, to Beckham.
It depends if the area is inhabited by descendants of Britons, Saxons or the people inhabiting UK since Neolithic.
British ethnic base is not Anglosaxon, there's a common substrate shared by all UK, Ireland and the Northern Atlantic coast.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:32 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,557,490 times
Its mostly about clothes......
If there is a guy in the room with pleated chinos/jeans especially are an inch or two too short exposing white socks he will usually be American.
British guys very rarely wear their shirt tucked into their trousers when dressing casually. In the UK you buy shirts that are cut to be worn outside. Most of the British guys I know would never go out in the evening wearing trainers. In fact they wouldn't be allowed in lots of bars wearing them.
Aussie guys are happy to go out in thongs - British guys don't like sandals let alone thongs....
In my experience Aussie guys are less interested in grooming and are a bit more 'wash and go'.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,149,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
Its mostly about clothes......
If there is a guy in the room with pleated chinos/jeans especially are an inch or two too short exposing white socks he will usually be American.
British guys very rarely wear their shirt tucked into their trousers when dressing casually. In the UK you buy shirts that are cut to be worn outside. Most of the British guys I know would never go out in the evening wearing trainers. In fact they wouldn't be allowed in lots of bars wearing them.
Aussie guys are happy to go out in thongs - British guys don't like sandals let alone thongs....
In my experience Aussie guys are less interested in grooming and are a bit more 'wash and go'.
A bit more wash and go, well it does work well for Aussies with Canadian women

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/201...18_480x360.jpg

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 AM

11 posts, read 25,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Totally different.
Americans dress more conservatively, using their own sport style.
You can spot English by their clothing and shoes right away.
Except for a minority, English wear strange shoes, strange sandals and strange colours, pastel colours.
Americans tend to be larger and fatter and many are from different ethnic groups such as southern Italians, Jews, Polish...
Yes, there are southern Italians, etc..in Europe, but they are not that large and fat and they dress in a different manner.
English also are ethnically different, in the UK you've got the Welsh, English North England, South England, West England, Scots, Lowlands and Highlands and there are differences and nuances among them, such as dark or reddish hair, blonde hair and they are not thoroughly mixed or not mixed at all.
Probably most English that went to America were from very definite regions and are not representative of England at large, and of course, Americans are mixed.
Pretty much this. I've always found it interesting as I'm from Europe, but career wise I'm more international and how loads of foreign friends. The US is heavily influenced by immigration without a doubt. But where Australians and English tend to have that pasty, ginger thing going on, the US is more like Scandinavians, though with more ethnic diversity and fat (loled). Personally I think it's remarkable how similar the US and Norway/Sweden/Denmark are people wise. Politics is widely different, but looks, interests, conservative values etc, are pretty similar. Though I guess the massive scandinavian settlements in the 1800's didn't help

Old 04-18-2012, 04:12 PM

68 posts, read 163,355 times
Yes. And it's probably due to their genetic mixtures. Americans are a mixture of many European nationalities (and others). Britain is more a single ethnicity, or at least, they used to be.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,320,459 times
Aussie's are more fit than US/UK residents, UK residents dress funky/more US are heavier than UK as well otherwise similar looking if cauc, greater diversity in US than Australia, UK is diverse like US

Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,656,809 times
Most of my ancestry is from the British Isles. I compared pictures of myself and my family to a few people of Scottish ancestry and I was surprised how much my family still looks like them, mainly on my Dad's side.

I would say many Americans look different than Brits and Australians. Much of America's European-based ancestry is also German & Scandinavian.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 AM

7,646 posts, read 18,046,263 times
My dad always said that the British have a look of their own (in the face).

One group that at least people from around here look like are Germans. I can never seem to tell the difference between people around here and Germans. For example, my high school once hosted a group of German students (who in turn earlier hosted students from my high school). They were practically indistinguishable from local students. I recently was looking at my sister's yearbook and saw that a group of students went to Germany on a similar exchange. I could not tell the American kids from the German kids. They seem to dress the same and wear the same make-up, in addition to being physically indistinguishable. (If the group was 30+, on the other hand, they probably could be distinguished). Compare this to Italian, Spanish, or French kids, who are usually (at least in my experience) much thinner than American students. Not necessarily less obese - just skinnier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.