Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:04 PM

174 posts, read 500,651 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Grand Rapids, MI area. I am a college student though I want to be a professional writer and maybe open a small business. I am planning on relocating in two to five years, two years being the most realistic and five years being on the further end.

Allow me to explain what I want.

It is simply too cold around here. I prefer a warmer climate with less snow. I would go anywhere warmer, from only "mild" all the way to a hot desert climate. It is no preference as long as it is warmer and less snowy.

I want less taxes, fewer regulations, and a good business climate. I am not radical laissez-faireist or anything, I just err more on the free market side since I want ease of doing business.

I want to live in a large city as opposed to a medium city or small town. I would define anything from 100,000 and above as large. 100,000 would be below my ideal but a city the size of New York might be too much, although I wouldnt mind suburbs. In other words, I want amenities but I want it not too crowded. I am willing to balance the two, however I err on the side of amenities.

I like lots of variety in restaurants. I also like museums. I don't know why, I just do. I also like outdoor recreation. I DO NOT care about nightlife (not a party guy) or "high culture" (the opera etc) but I am not against them. I am not totally blue collar but I am also not an egghead. In other words, small town Texas is not cosmopolitan as I am, San Fransciso is much moreso than I am.

Also, I am fiscally conservative and socially moderate and I suppose to some extent I agree with people like that. I've been around radical hippys and felt uncomfortable and Ive also been around the religious right and felt the same. I err on the side of fiscal conservatism though. In other words I like a culture to be socially moderateaand also have a strong entrepreneurial spirit. In other words, I don't like high taxes, I like free markets, I don't mind alternative lifestyles, but I am sure as hell not becoming a vegan. I just dont want people preaching down my throat, whatever extreme. I dont want to go to Utah and have some Mormons shoving their ideas down my face and I dont want to go to Portland and have some hippy complain about me eating meat.

I also like a low cost of living. However, let me give a caveat. I want a low cost of living, not to be like NYC or anything, at the same time I recognize an extremely low cost of living is often correlated with poverty. So I want an area with a decent cost of living, but not in poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,957,687 times
Texas!

Look into Austin and San Antonio.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:27 PM

10,263 posts, read 12,460,070 times
We also can tell Houston ,Dallas ,Fort Worth

Old 10-31-2009, 04:32 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,628,810 times
From what you have described I'd go with Austin, Texas. I just love it there.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:33 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times
Anycity, TX!

Old 10-31-2009, 04:36 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,927,903 times
Suburban Dallas/Fort Worth sounds perfect for you.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:37 PM

10,263 posts, read 12,460,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Anycity, TX!

Texas might be a good place to start. Texas has the most globe-focused manufacturing sector in the country, with export sales at $69,268 per worker, the highest of any state. Another incentive for business owners is the cost of work .Texas has the lowest workers' compensation costs of any state. The Lone Star State also lacks an income or capital-gains tax for individuals.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:41 PM

I have thought of big city Texas. Really I like big cities. I see myself more at home in a big city than a small town, I grew up in a rural area about three miles from a city of 50,000 outskirts. I feel as if a big northeastern or midwestern or pacific city is too expensive has too high taxes etc. A small southern town is too conservative and insular and not good opportunities although a big southern city hits the nail on the head. or in the southwest. Ironically, I am looking toward where the economy and business climate is best and I see myself migrating southward for economic opportunity. Ironically, seventy years ago my grandfather came from the south to the north for a better economy, and now I might be doing the opposite.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:43 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times
With everything you mentioned I would put Houston and DFW at the top of your list and I would start thinking about which of the two you would prefer.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:46 PM

Actually I am looking at the following most of all. Phoenix, Las Vegas, Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Atlanta.

Which is the best business climate?

Which is the cheapest?

All have where I am looking for in climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.