Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:04 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times

Advertisements

Tulsa has plenty of country songs. Here's some off the top of my head:

"Take Me Back to Tulsa" Bob Wills
"Tulsa Time" Don Williams
"Rodeo" Garth Brooks
"Closin' Time at Home" Toby Keith
"Tell Me Something Bad About Tulsa" George Strait
"The Day That She Left Tulsa" Wade Hayes
"Don't Make Me Come to Tulsa" Wade Hayes
"Texas Women, Don't Stay Long" Brooks & Dunn
"White Line Casanova" Brooks & Dunn
"Blame It On Texas" Mark Chestnut
"I Ain't In Checota Anymore" Carrie Underwood
"The Tulsa Shuffle" The Tractors
"Tulsa Queen" Emmy Lou Harris
"If I Ever Get Back to Oklahoma" Jason Boland

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 11-02-2009 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:15 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I know the song isn't specifically about Indy, but I couldn't resist - it's the first thing that came to mind.

"God didn't make little green apples
And it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime..."
Excuse me, but I think you need to listen to the song. Here's a part of the words:

"Indianapolis, Indeed. Indianapolis, Indeed. Wherever I may go, its Indy that calls me to come home to sights and sounds I have known. From the Race to Union Station, the Heart of the Nation, its Indy I used to roam. Indianapolis, Indeed"..........and then she goes on the mention Monument Circle, Market Square (former) and how Hoosiers support their teams and the like. And you are going to tell me the song isnt specifically about Indianapolis?????????????????????? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL. I dont think you are thinking of the same song.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:51 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
For some smaller cities and towns with songs about or linked to them.

Okie from Muskogee by Merle Haggard
Henryetta, Oklahoma by someone named Marvin Rainwater
Statesboro Blues by Blind Willie McTell (refers to Statesboro, Georgia)

Hmm thought I would have or find more.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Rapper express crime, drugs, and all that, and I guess it's not the best way to express a city, but it's talent.
Typical stereotype

Chicago

YouTube - Kilslo - City of Mine

Old 11-02-2009, 10:40 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Excuse me, but I think you need to listen to the song. Here's a part of the words:

"Indianapolis, Indeed. Indianapolis, Indeed. Wherever I may go, its Indy that calls me to come home to sights and sounds I have known. From the Race to Union Station, the Heart of the Nation, its Indy I used to roam. Indianapolis, Indeed"..........and then she goes on the mention Monument Circle, Market Square (former) and how Hoosiers support their teams and the like. And you are going to tell me the song isnt specifically about Indianapolis?????????????????????? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL. I dont think you are thinking of the same song.
You're right...I wasn't thinking of the song you mentioned at all. I was talking about a different song, the one that has the line about little green apples in it. You misunderstood my repsonse - sorry.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:07 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
Cleveland has many.

Just off the top of my head:
Cleveland Rocks
Missing Cleveland
Cleveland is the city
Cleveland is the reason
C-Town
Cleveland

Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Nice. Good video connections there. Especially like "Lights", although nobody can prove it actually is about SF, but the circumstantial evidence is quite clear!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Albuquerque- Neil Diamond- the band Phish did it too

Albuquerque- Weird Al Yankovich

Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque-The Partridge Family

Albuquerque is also mentioned in Tim McGraws song-Everywhere

Albuquerque is also mentioned in TI's song- Bring Em Out

Santa Fe is mentioned in George Straits song-Amarillo by Morning

Santa Fe-Bon Jovi

South of Santa Fe- Brooks and Dunn

New Mexico is also mentioned in-

Is There a Heaven For a Gangster-Master P

Thug Mentality-Krayzie Bone

Last edited by desert sun; 11-02-2009 at 11:27 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 12:20 AM

463 posts, read 1,565,350 times
It's little known, but Yes actually wrote a song about Toledo, Ohio on their album 90125, I forget its name.

And a more well-known song about Allentown, Pennsylvania called "Allentown" by Billy Joel. The song uses Allentown as an archetype for declining mid-sized rust-belt cities, and was likely chosen because of Bethlehem Steel being located there (actually next door in Bethlehem). However, as the song was made in the early 80s, it is largely out of date as Allentown has largely rebounded. (Well, the area as a whole. Inner-city Allentown is still very dangerous).

And although everyone thinks Bruce Springsteen's 2002 song "My City of Ruins" is about New York, it is actually about Asbury Park, NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.