Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
Ah, this guy comes riding in on the moral high horse. I hate to say it, but he is for the most part correct. Look at all the cities with the highest murder rates. The correlation between that and the % of blacks is pretty high.Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

EDIT: And I am not saying blacks have something in their genes that makes them violent. Rather that the situations they are in inspire it. Label me as racist, but Moderator cut: off-topic/personal I'm no more racist than anyone else.
What's your problem? It has nothing to do with race, but with the situation. You are blinded by the stats concerning big cities, there is a whole lot more out there that is small communities and rural areas that shows that there is little relation between race and homicide rates. It is the situation/lifestyle the people are placed in that determines how they are going to react, not the color of their skin. That simple fact has nothing to do with moral high-horse or anything else.

Last edited by Bo; 11-21-2009 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 AM

378 posts, read 1,284,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
What's your problem? It has nothing to do with race, but with the situation. You are blinded by the stats concerning big cities, there is a whole lot more out there that is small communities and rural areas that shows that there is little relation between race and homicide rates. It is the situation/lifestyle the people are placed in that determines how they are going to react, not the color of their skin. That simple fact has nothing to do with moral high-horse or anything else.
The guy said the "more Negroes the higher the crime," or something along those lines. You labeled that comment as racist, when for the most part it is actually true. And I agree 100% that it is more about the situation. The fact is that more blacks are in that type of situation. So the fact doesn't really change. I apologize for being so confrontational.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,445,585 times
Quote:
The guy said the "more Negroes the higher the crime," or something along those lines. You labeled that comment as racist, when for the most part it is actually true. And I agree 100% that it is more about the situation. The fact is that more blacks are in that type of situation. So the fact doesn't really change. I apologize for being so confrontational.
I think what was bothersome was his equation that "It all has to do with the number of negroes. Period!" That does strike me as racist because there are other factors involved. Also "negro" is antiquated at best.

Obviously the percentage or number of blacks is not the only factor.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:44 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
No it doesn't. I'm as white as a person can get, and even I am offended by your ignorant, racist statement.
If the discussion had been about pedophiles and someone stated ,"It all has to do with the number of whites in the area", would you have been as offended and considered it an ignorant and racist statement or would you have looked at the statistics to see if it is true.

36.5% of all homicides are committed by 13.4% of the population, that 13.4% being blacks or african american.

32.8% are committed by 74% of the population

29% are unknown

Some have tried to put it all on circumstances and living situations.

About 8.2% of whites live under the poverty line and 24.7% of blacks the same.

So you have 18,000,000 whites, give or take, living below the poverty line and 9,000,000 blacks, give or take, living below the poverty line.

If we said that the majority of the murders were committed by those below the poverty line then you still have a disproportionate amount being committed by blacks.

While the poster may have phrased his post in a way that rubbed many the wrong way the base point of his post was in effect true. By putting "Period" as if that was the only reason was where he was wrong.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,445,585 times
In my case I don't think it's necessarily poverty. In fact there are some small mostly-black towns in Oklahoma that are poor, but have relatively low crime. I think there are some in Mississippi like that too.

I think urban poverty is often a factor. Many poor whites live in rural areas where everyone knows everyone's business so it's harder to commit crime or, in some cases I know, crimes are not reported because a person is "part of the town."

Still age and family structure, from what I looked up at this site and have read elsewhere, I think is likely more significant. Whites on average are older than Blacks or Hispanics. Violent crime is generally most common among 16-30 year old men. Blacks tend to have the highest rate of unmarried pregnancy and single parenthood. As well as teen pregnancy. Education might also be a factor. White men, in their "most dangerous years", are more likely to be in college than black men.

Suburbs/districts like Glenarden, Maryland or Spencer, Oklahoma have these factors despite having above average poverty. Their crime rates are relatively low. The highly white town of Princeton, West Virginia has a low rate of family households along with poverty. It's worse than those two in crime. (This does not always work, I have found towns with poor family structure and poverty that do relatively okay)

//www.city-data.com/city/Prince...-Virginia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Glenarden-Maryland.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Spencer-Oklahoma.html

Old 11-02-2009, 07:57 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If the discussion had been about pedophiles and someone stated ,"It all has to do with the number of whites in the area", would you have been as offended and considered it an ignorant and racist statement or would you have looked at the statistics to see if it is true.
I would have thought it an ignorant and racist statement, and also looked up the stats; just as I did in this instance.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
I know in 2007 Iowa had 37 homicides, for a rate of 1.23/100,000

Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,044,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
What I want to know is why states like Iowa,Minnesota,Utah, Idaho, Wisconsin,Montana have such low murder rates and other states have high ones, what sets them apart?
There is no reason to trust the data. No one really knows how many crimes have been committed inside a particular state.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,044,046 times
Quote:
Ah, this guy comes riding in on the moral high horse. I hate to say it, but he is for the most part correct. Look at all the cities with the highest murder rates. The correlation between that and the % of blacks is pretty high. Don't let your sad need to feel like a good person blind you from reality.

EDIT: And I am not saying blacks have something in their genes that makes them violent. Rather that the situations they are in inspire it. Label me as racist, but then go **** yourself because I'm no more racist than anyone else.
A charge of racism is the last refuge of a liberal who is losing an argument.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:31 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,166,599 times
Quote:
Ah, this guy comes riding in on the moral high horse. I hate to say it, but he is for the most part correct. Look at all the cities with the highest murder rates. The correlation between that and the % of blacks is pretty high. Don't let your sad need to feel like a good person blind you from reality.

EDIT: And I am not saying blacks have something in their genes that makes them violent. Rather that the situations they are in inspire it. Label me as racist, but then go **** yourself because I'm no more racist than anyone else.
Well that's not necessarily true. Houston and Atlanta both have a very large black community and yet they normally rank somewhere in the middle as far as crime rates of big cities. It has a lot more to do with the poverty rate than it does race. If anything, it shows how disproportionally high the poverty rate is for the black community even to this day.

IMO it's 2009 and I find something very wrong with the fact that there is STILL to this day such a poverty rate in the black community. That shouldn't be the case anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.