Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:33 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,325,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I dunno. It seems like the Peninsula barely wants to have anything to do with the Southside and vice-versa (I have family in the Seven Cities). I can't see them uniting with Richmond-Petersburg anytime soon.

But I've always thought Williamsburg was sort of the midway point between the two.

I wouldn't say the Peninsula has nothing to do with the southside.

They have no choice, reallly. And Williamsburg is in Hampton Roads

And that's coool about your family and that you know the term Seven Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,243,874 times
BosBirm - Boston to Birmingham.

I could see this in the near future.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:13 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I wouldn't say the Peninsula has nothing to do with the southside.

They have no choice, reallly. And Williamsburg is in Hampton Roads

And that's coool about your family and that you know the term Seven Cities
I think the metro is a lot more united since the tolls were taken off the tunnel way back when as well as the fact that tons of people commute back and forth between the Peninsula and the Southside. But it still feels "separated" to me. Water can be just as much of a psychological boundary as it is a physical one. When I lived in Tampa Bay, it seemed that the St Pete side was very separate from the Tampa side.

My aunt in Hampton commutes daily to her job in Richmond FWIW, but ian it still pretty rural between the two regions?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,325,444 times
It's rural, but there are many small towns in between. Hampton to Richmond can't be fun! lol.

One problem we have with creating a unified metro is that it can take an hour to get from Norfolk to Hampton/Newport News because the two bridge-tunnels are always jacked.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:57 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,706,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
BosBirm - Boston to Birmingham.

I could see this in the near future.
lol. maybe if the year 3009 is the "near future." Even then I just don't see that happening Southern states are way too big, and the cities are to far spread out and lack density.

The BosWash Northeast Corridor:

Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,712,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
-Cumberland MD away from the penumbra ~ prices are not effected by the Bal/Wash metro
Rural land values in Allegany Co. are definitely higher than they would be an hour+ further out - even Garrett Co. has weekenders based in the core metro. Deep Creek Lake and Rocky Gap are weekender resorts for the core metro, not national destinations. Conversely, in-town prices in the City of Cumberland might as well be in northwest PA - nobody wants to be an in-town weekender. There seems to be a strong gradient in land values from the SE corner to NW corner of Bedford County, PA, despite the NW corner being much better ag land. I would call that part of the penumbra effect. The penumbra would be easier to detect from the outside looking in, vs. the inside looking out.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:00 AM

Western MD, except for maybe be Frederick (and not Hagerstown) is not part of BosWas, the definitions of the corridor should encompass suburbs, and exurbs within an hour or so of anchor cities (DC, Balt. Wilmington, Philly, Trenton, Newark, New York, New Haven/Bridgeport, Providence, and Boston). Besides its all Steelers fans out there.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:26 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,288,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
lol. maybe if the year 3009 is the "near future." Even then I just don't see that happening Southern states are way too big, and the cities are to far spread out and lack density.

The BosWash Northeast Corridor:
LOL. Try again. You have obviously never driven I-85.

Just curious - have you EVER been South of D.C.?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL. Try again. You have obviously never driven I-85.

Just curious - have you EVER been South of D.C.?
No, I've never left my state, or my house for that matter. Yeah, I'm one of "those" guys. For the record I've been to (not "passed through") every single state from Massachusetts to South Florida (yep, that's a state) multiple times, except for West Virginia which I've only driven through, but only in my dreams of course.

I've been down I-85 between Richmond and Winston-Salem countless times ever since some family moved there from NYC, and to put it on the same level of I-95 DC-BOS (now or the near future) is laughable. But why am I even telling you all of this? I'm a person who prefers facts (if available) to opinions when it comes to making assertions, so let's see...

Let's compare the density of both corridors by totaling the populations (from CB) of their metro areas (CSA's) and dividing by the length of each corridor. Exurban MSA's (Metropolitan Statistical Areas) with pop <200K are excluded, so I won't post the actual total pops. for the CSA's. MD-Metropolitan Division

I-95 (DC to Boston):
Baltimore-Washington CSA

Washington DC MSA (DC-MD-VA): 5,286,227
- Bethesda-Gaith.-Fred. MD
- Washington-Arl-Alex. MD
Baltimore-Towson MSA (MD): 2,658,405
Hagerstown-Martinsburg MSA (MD-WV): 261,198

Philadelphia–Camden–Wilmington CSA (Delaware Valley)

Philadelphia–Camden–Wilmington MSA (DE-MD-NJ-PA): 5,838,471
- Camden MD
- Philadelphia MD
- Wilmington MD

New York-Newark-Bridgeport CSA

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island MSA (NY-NJ-PA): 18,815,988
- New York-White Plains-Wayne MD
- Nassau-Suffolk MD
- Edison-New Brunswick MD
- Newark-Union MD
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk MSA (CT): 902,775
New Haven-Milford MSA (CT): 846,766
Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown MSA (NY): 667,742
Trenton-Ewing MSA (NJ): 366,256

Boston-Worcester-Manchester CSA (Greater Boston)

Boston-Cambridge-Quincy MSA (MA-NH): 4,411,835
- Boston-Quincy MD
- Cambridge-Newton-Framingham MD
- Essex County MD
- Rockingham County-Strafford County MD
Worcester MSA (MA): 783,262
Providence-New Bedford-Fall River MSA (MA-RI): 1,622,520
Manchester-Nashua MSA (NH): 401,291

I-85 (Richmond to Montgomery):

Raleigh-Durham CSA

Raleigh-Cary MSA (NC): 1,088,765
Durham MSA MSA (NC): 489,762

Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord CSA

Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord MSA (NC): 1,701,799

Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA

Greenville-Mauldin-Easley MSA (SC): 624,715
Spartanburg MSA (SC): 280,738
Anderson MSA* (SC): 182,825

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville CSA

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA: 5,376,285
Gainesville MSA* (GA): 184,814

Richmond-Petersburg MSA (VA): 1,225,626
Burlington MSA* (NC): 148,053
Greensboro-High Point MSA (NC): 705,684
Auburn-Opelika MSA* (AL): 133,010
Montgomery MSA (AL): 365,924

* I-85 MSA's that contradict the <200,000 rule, but whatever.

->
I-95:
Total pop.- 42,862,736
distance (Alexandria-Manchester)- 478 mi.
person/mi.- 89,670

I-85:
Total pop.- 12,508,000
distance (Montgomery-Richmond)-692 mi.
person/mi.-18,075

So you see, no comparison.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:44 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,711,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Rural land values in Allegany Co. are definitely higher than they would be an hour+ further out - even Garrett Co. has weekenders based in the core metro. Deep Creek Lake and Rocky Gap are weekender resorts for the core metro, not national destinations. Conversely, in-town prices in the City of Cumberland might as well be in northwest PA - nobody wants to be an in-town weekender. There seems to be a strong gradient in land values from the SE corner to NW corner of Bedford County, PA, despite the NW corner being much better ag land. I would call that part of the penumbra effect. The penumbra would be easier to detect from the outside looking in, vs. the inside looking out.
Oh i see. I wasn't even thinking of Deep creek lake, as overrated as it is. I guess prices are slightly effected there. But definenlty not in the populated areas of Allegheny county (frostburg etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.