Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,327,755 times

Advertisements

Obviously the name implies everything between Boston and Washington, but I've seen some define it as everything from Norfolk to Maine. What's your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,437,590 times
I'd say it starts in Portland, Maine and ends in NoVa

Old 11-03-2009, 12:15 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,854,145 times
I'd say Bos and Wash are about the right endpoints of the real corridor. This would extend into northern VA and southern NH, to include the metro areas of the cities at the endpoints. South to about Norfolk and north to maybe a bit north of Portland could be regarded as the outermost fringes of the Northeast Corridor, or as something more like transitional zones between the Corridor and areas that lie entirely outside, sort of part of the Corridor and sort of not.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:42 AM

141 posts, read 478,163 times
Boston to Northern VA

Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,722,235 times
I think it's useful to think of the core, the fringe, and the penumbra of the BosWash corridor. I think the core would be the metros of Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, and DC.

Fringe would be, say, Albany, Lancaster, Harrisburg, Hagerstown, Richmond, Norfolk, where much of the economy depends on providing services to the core corridor. The fringe are might be intercommutable at least with the edge cities of the core metros - lets say for example, I know couples living in Gettysburg where one works in Harrisburg and the other in Gaithersburg. I'm not sure where Hartford, Springfield, Providence, Wilmington would fall between "core" and "fringe."

Then the penumbra would be areas beyond the fringe where land values and some services (such as truss and pallet manufacturing, landfills, weekend resorts, etc.) are affected by proximity to the corridor, but beyond the range of normal commuting. Places I'd put in the penumbra would be Staunton VA, Elkins WV, Cumberland MD, State College PA, Glens Falls NY, perhaps all of Vermont.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,396,380 times
Boston to Washington... that is why it isn't called PortWash.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,205,511 times
The northern edge is in southern Maine north of Portland, and the southern edge is in Fredericksburg, VA. The western edge, as was discussed above, includes places like southern New Hampshire, Albany, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg, Hagerstown, and Winchester, VA.

Places like Richmond and Hampton Roads/Norfolk area are arguably part of Megalopolis as well (though not BosWash if you use that name).

Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,880,126 times
It is the Boston CSA to the DC CSA, and all other CSAs located along the I-95 corridor between those points. Effectively, each CSA merges with the next, which is why it's considered to be a megalopolis. So Portland is part of it, as is NOVA, but I wouldn't describe it as running from Portland to NOVA.

It is one of the largest urban conglomerations in the world both in terms of area and population.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,708,562 times
Manchester, New Hampshire to Arlington/Alexandria, Virginia.

Does not include Richmond or Tidewater; big distance and culutral gap. I also don't think Western PA, extreme Western MD, or Maine are included.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:09 AM

542 posts, read 985,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Obviously the name implies everything between Boston and Washington, but I've seen some define it as everything from Norfolk to Maine. What's your thoughts?
Historical definition: Boston to DC. Amended for modern times will come to include Portland, ME to Norfolk, VA. The census designated areas already border from Norfolk to Richmond, and Richmond to DC. The culture and distance argument doesn't quite hold up because the distance between Baltimore and Philly is the same as between DC and Richmond. And you can't say the culture of Boston is the same as DC. Heck I'v heard a million times that Baltimore culture is completely different from DC's, and they're only separated by 38 miles! Between Boston and New York is a little sketchy for unbroken urbanism, but the metros of Hartford and Providence do border to complete the string. If you look at nightime images of the east coast, there is a pretty definable string of lights from Norfolk to north of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.