Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i've lived in the south before and have been to various countries...

it is what it is, tho. i'm entitled to my opinion about the south. i just don't understand what would make an african american want to move from the west or the northeast to the south other than:

-financial reasons (such as not being able to afford living in the north due to gentrification, for example)
-older ppl trying to connect to their parents/childhood (ppl retiring, older ppl moving to take care of their parents, etc.)

a hell of a lot...speaking from a nyer's point of view.
Intriguing.....I'm sure you could name somethings you guys do up there in the big city that us country folk never get to experience.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,291,021 times
Quote:
i've lived in the south before and have been to various countries...
I seriously doubt that.

Anyone that has spent more than an hour in the South would be embarrassed to post the nonsense you do.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:44 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,695,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Intriguing.....I'm sure you could name somethings you guys do up there in the big city that us country folk never get to experience.
see, i'm not one of those ppl that thinks ppl from the south are "country," "slow," "backwards," etc...although some ppl from the south can be. so forget the "country" and "big city" thing.

its more about mindset. i just find that a lot of southern ppl are just...
like just content with having just enough.

mad ppl (and this is everywhere) having babies that they can't afford...working in walmart part time, no benefits, living with their parents...etc.

i wish i could take these ppl to 6th ave and have them walk around and see what is out there. on that note, i wish i could take ppl in NYC and show them other regions, particularly the south, so that they can appreciate what they have. i feel like we (nyers) don't fully appreciate what we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I seriously doubt that.

Anyone that has spent more than an hour in the South would be embarrassed to post the nonsense you do.
lol @ this foolishness. go ahead and doubt it.

a lot of nyers have fam in the south and/or have lived in the south.

but you wouldn't know about that, tho.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
eek..

Name something that an average person would have access to in the north that they wouldn't in the south?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
see, i'm not one of those ppl that thinks ppl from the south are "country," "slow," "backwards," etc...although some ppl from the south can be. so forget the "country" and "big city" thing.

its more about mindset. i just find that a lot of southern ppl are just...
like just content with having just enough.

mad ppl (and this is everywhere) having babies that they can't afford...working in walmart part time, no benefits, living with their parents...etc.

i wish i could take these ppl to 6th ave and have them walk around and see what is out there. on that note, i wish i could take ppl in NYC and show them other regions, particularly the south, so that they can appreciate what they have. i feel like we (nyers) don't fully appreciate what we have.

OK......but what about my question???

Old 11-09-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
lol @ this foolishness. go ahead and doubt it.

a lot of nyers have fam in the south and/or have lived in the south.

but you wouldn't know about that, tho.

No, of course not. I just happen to live in the metro that gains the most of them.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM

815 posts, read 2,125,231 times
Quote:

the south is full of min wage jobs or 20-30k jobs for ppl. screw that. ppl with degrees working in gas stations til they can find something making 30...and they're happy with that. smh.

What are you talking about dude??? Seriously???? Atlanta and Houston have the most affluent black communities in the country, that in of itself is a reason why they move here. And if you still reside in Jamaica Queens, unless you’re a drug dealer, you’re not making any serious change either there buddy, if you do then I would advise you to move. You’re from Jamaica Queens and trying to talk down on the blacks in the south for not having any money. That’s like someone from New Orleans making fun of someone from Baltimore because it’s violent and ghetto. But all jokes aside, NYC despite its overall size does not have a black communtiy that can compare to other cities like Atlanta, DC, and Houston. Like it's not even close.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Seeing as though you are from Jamiaca Queens and seeing as though this thread was about African Americans in the south I can assure you that there is no area in Jamica Queens or even a black area in the entire NYC that can even come close to comparing to an affluent black area in Atlanta, Dallas or Houston. Jamaica Queens???? Seriously???? And you want to ask why do blacks move down south??? Pure comedy!! And for blacks, trust there is just as much if not more to do in Atlanta than NYC. Can't speak for Dallas and Houston but I am sure they are on the same level in regards to social options for blacks.
Actually, there are parts of Jamaica Queens that are fine. Actually, Queens has some of the most affluent Black neighborhoods in the country and is the most "diverse" county in the US.

While I have love for the South, I think images like this stick in the mind of many people in this country:

Tchula, Mississippi

YouTube - Economic meltdown in Mississippi - 10 July 08

This is my father's hometown, by the way. Holmes County

Here's scenes and info. from my mother's hometown:

YouTube - S.C Highway 41 - Mullins, SC
Mullins High School: Spotlight > "Who Will Be Crowned the New 2009-2010 Homecoming Queen? ..." (http://www.mhs.marion2.k12.sc.us/?PageName=LatestNews&Section=Spotlight&ItemID=7416 &ISrc=School&Itype=Spotlight&SchoolID=3356 - broken link)
Welcome to the City of Mullins, South Carolina

Old 11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,695,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
eek..

Name something that an average person would have access to in the north that they wouldn't in the south?
a 50-70k job coming out of college.
possible connects that work on 6th ave (google>images 6th ave).
our art scene (this is a given)
our music scene (nyc is the only place i know where ppl happen to know ___ mogul. ex. i have a cousin that knows and worked for russel simmons...now he works on wall st)
our news scene (have a cousin that worked for nbc, then nydailynews then mtv)
our transportation system is superior, period. if you don't have a car in the south, you're done. your life is over til you get one unless you live and work/chill in a very small area within your city.

ppl from OTHER STATES travel to nyc everyday/night to work then go back home, using our transporation system.

my uncle lives in jersey city and works in manhattan, for example. i know ppl that live in CT that work in NYC.

random other thoughts:

yankee stadium during the playoffs/world series
various parades:
dominican day
pr day
west indian, etc.
chinatown in manhattan and in flushing
our various world class museums
6th ave, in general
the opportunities our transporation bring 5th ave, in general
our zoo and aquarium
tourist stuff like the statue of liberty
empire state building
42nd st in general
madison square garden
botanical gardens
central park
5 pointz
our music scene, in general
our art scene in general
our fashion scene in general
soHo
etc.

and thats just in nyc. and there's more to that list. now picture being in jersey city and having access to all of that plus whatever is in jersey city?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:01 PM

^Yawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.