Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 03:20 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times

Advertisements

Most of this is NYC-centric and would apply to other cities across the country and not the South in general, but what the hell, I'll take a stab at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
a 50-70k job coming out of college.
That is very much possible in the South. Most of my friends and colleges chose to go straight to graduate or law school, so when they finally came out of school, they were making much more than this.

Quote:
our music scene (nyc is the only place i know where ppl happen to know ___ mogul. ex. i have a cousin that knows and worked for russel simmons...now he works on wall st)
We've got music industries in the South, namely in Atlanta, Austin, Nashville, etc. It's not NYC's music scene, but they are robust, reputable industries in certain cities in the South.

Quote:
our news scene (have a cousin that worked for nbc, then nydailynews then mtv)
Check out Atlanta in this regard.

Quote:
our transportation system is superior, period. if you don't have a car in the south, you're done. your life is over til you get one unless you live and work/chill in a very small area within your city.
Yes, but don't act like we don't have any form of mass transit down here, because we do. And furthermore, I like my car. I can go anywhere I need to go at any time, in the city or off to another city, unhampered by a set schedule. It really is a beautiful thing, believe it or not.

Quote:
ppl from OTHER STATES travel to nyc everyday/night to work then go back home, using our transporation system.

my uncle lives in jersey city and works in manhattan, for example. i know ppl that live in CT that work in NYC.
That's due to NYC's proximity to those states more than anything, duh. There are several metros in the South that cross state lines, including my own. I used to live just across the state line in SC and commuted into Charlotte for work. That's not unusual.

Quote:
yankee stadium during the playoffs/world series
We've got high-energy sports scenes down here, too.

Quote:
various parades:
dominican day
pr day
west indian, etc.
We've got cultural festivals down here.

Quote:
our various world class museums
We have notable museums.

Quote:
our zoo and aquarium
PLENTY of those here in the South, including the world's largest aquarium.

Quote:
tourist stuff like the statue of liberty
We've got "tourist" stuff. Beaches down here are wonderful tourist attractions.

As much you seem to think so, we're not deprived down here in the least. I have a cousin who lives in Queens who's itching to get down here. I once told a guy who had lived in NYC and DC and now lives in Charlotte that I wouldn't mind living in the North for a little while, and he was like "Don't even waste your time," LOL. His mother was hesitant about visiting him down here, but when she finally did, she got back to NY, put her house on the market, and followed him down here. There are a million stories like this, all over the South.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:40 PM

815 posts, read 2,125,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Most of this is NYC-centric and would apply to other cities across the country and not the South in general, but what the hell, I'll take a stab at it.

That is very much possible in the South. Most of my friends and colleges chose to go straight to graduate or law school, so when they finally came out of school, they were making much more than this.

We've got music industries in the South, namely in Atlanta, Austin, Nashville, etc. It's not NYC's music scene, but they are robust, reputable industries in certain cities in the South.

Check out Atlanta in this regard.

Yes, but don't act like we don't have any form of mass transit down here, because we do. And furthermore, I like my car. I can go anywhere I need to go at any time, in the city or off to another city, unhampered by a set schedule. It really is a beautiful thing, believe it or not.

That's due to NYC's proximity to those states more than anything, duh. There are several metros in the South that cross state lines, including my own. I used to live just across the state line in SC and commuted into Charlotte for work. That's not unusual.

We've got high-energy sports scenes down here, too.

We've got cultural festivals down here.

We have notable museums.

PLENTY of those here in the South, including the world's largest aquarium.

We've got "tourist" stuff. Beaches down here are wonderful tourist attractions.

As much you seem to think so, we're not deprived down here in the least. I have a cousin who lives in Queens who's itching to get down here. I once told a guy who had lived in NYC and DC and now lives in Charlotte that I wouldn't mind living in the North for a little while, and he was like "Don't even waste your time," LOL. His mother was hesitant about visiting him down here, but when she finally did, she got back to NY, put her house on the market, and followed him down here. There are a million stories like this, all over the South.

Although we may disagree when it comes to issues in regards to North Carolina and GA, LOL, I must say that I agree with this post 110%. Especially about the car culture. I always find it funny how NY'ers brag about riding the train and looking down on us for being so tied to our cars. While I do hate to sit in traffic, I love my car plain and simple and would not want it any other way. After a good wash or occasionally a wax on a Saturday morning I actually look forward to driving my car, and allot of other people I know feel the same way about their car as well. They can save all that mess about sitting in traffic, paying high gas prices, etc. etc….The car culture in southern cities like Miami, Atlanta, Houston, and pretty much all over the south and out west as well is something they will never understand. In fact I’m currently looking for a 1973 Monte Carlo, and once I find one you can rest assured that I will put the biggest gas guzzling crate engine under the hood that I can find, and I will look forward to the sunny Sunday afternoons when I can take it out for a spin

Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Although we may disagree when it comes to issues in regards to North Carolina and GA, LOL, I must say that I agree with this post 110%. Especially about the car culture. I always find it funny how NY'ers brag about riding the train and looking down on us for being so tied to our cars. While I do hate to sit in traffic, I love my car plain and simple and would not want it any other way. After a good wash or occasionally a wax on a Saturday morning I actually look forward to driving my car, and allot of other people I know feel the same way about their car as well. They can save all that mess about sitting in traffic, paying high gas prices, etc. etc….The car culture in southern cities like Miami, Atlanta, Houston, and pretty much all over the south and out west as well is something they will never understand. In fact I’m currently looking for a 1973 Monte Carlo, and once I find one you can rest assured that I will put the biggest gas guzzling crate engine under the hood that I can find, and I will look forward to the sunny Sunday afternoons when I can take it out for a spin
Absolutely. Ideally, I'd like to have a mix of the two--take mass transit to and from work, and drive other times.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,065,529 times
Quote:
That one incident alone didn't help me form an opinion, my father and his experiences growing up in Chicago helped as well. And I’m not the first person on here who has said Chicago is the most racist big city in the country, so I'm not the only one who thinks that way. But for me to grow up in the supposedly more racist south, and never have a racial incident, and for me to spend a summer in Chicago, and only after 3 weeks of being there have that incident happen speaks volumes. Not to mention when at that time when I told my cousins who live in Chicago about the incident, they seemed as if was normal. Myself being young at the time was inclined to go around the neighborhood and look for those guys, and I remember my cousin had this passive almost subservient attitude about it. He was like "its best not to mess with those guys and stir up trouble". You will never hear blacks in Atlanta say something like "oh no, don’t go and stir up trouble with the white folks". I’m sorry but taking that route is a foreign concept to me. At the age I was then If that would have happened in Atlanta trust we would have been in their neighborhood that very same night looking for anyone who even came close to looking like those morons in that car.
So you are going off of others stories of Chicago being so racist, and one experience you had, yet, there are thousands upon thousands that live here in Chicago that have never had any incident like this. So, if it is racist here, explain how that is so?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:15 PM

815 posts, read 2,125,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
So you are going off of others stories of Chicago being so racist, and one experience you had, yet, there are thousands upon thousands that live here in Chicago that have never had any incident like this. So, if it is racist here, explain how that is so?

Aside from my own personal experience, and aside from my father and his brothers experience, I have heard that from other people as well. Even saw someone here on C-D say the same, there was a whole thread, where the topic was about something else, but digressed into the very same thing we are talking about. Dont feel like searching for it, but you are more than welcome to. Aside from the racism, anyone can look at a map and see how segregated Chicago is. I dont have to be from there to know that.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:35 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,065,529 times
Quote:
Aside from my own personal experience, and aside from my father and his brothers experience, I have heard that from other people as well. Even saw someone here on C-D say the same, there was a whole thread, where the topic was about something else, but digressed into the very same thing we are talking about. Dont feel like searching for it, but you are more than welcome to. Aside from the racism, anyone can look at a map and see how segregated Chicago is. I dont have to be from there to know that.
So in other words, you can't answer the question. that would of been just as easy to say. Yes a good portion of Chicago is segregated, there is no denying that. But, it doesn't mean that people have to deal with incidents like the one that happened to you.

Going off of the stories of others, and what I have read on here, and one personal incident that happened in the ATL to me, I should conclude that Atlanta is a very racist city right?

Thats my point, I wouldnt do that to Atlanta, so, I feel others shouldnt do that to Chicago. I live here, and I can tell you, it is nothing like the way you are trying to portray it.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:02 PM

92,037 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Bruh real talk, and I hate to say this on here. But f*ck it, thats the problem with allot of us all over the map, not just in NYC, ATL, or DC. Everywhere, we dont own our own stuff. I was floored when I went Jamaica (the island) and saw Indians and Pakistanis owning all the little stores and shops down there.
While there does seem to be merchants of other backgrounds in mostly Black neighborhoods, there are directories showing Black owned businesses in this country:

iZania - Black Owned Business Directory
Black Business Directory - Use Black Owned Black Operated – USEBOBO.com Use Black Owned Black Operated, a national African American business directory, lists Black businesses, Black churches, Black social organizations and Black professional organiza
BlackAtlas - Your Passport to the Black Experience
Business Directory : Black Business Directory
Black Business Directory at Blackrefer.com

There are about 1.2 million or so Black owned businesses in the US, btw.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:42 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,005,209 times
Quote:
because:

-there is less to do- ROTFLMAO
-the job market just isn't as good-

Depends on what you know and who you know.

-lack of opportunities in comparison to the north or the west -See above.

-pay scale is much lower in comparison to other regions- So are the taxes and COL

it just isn't worth it.-
To you.

the south is some place that a person should consider retiring to...the economic opportunities while you're young just aren't there in comparison to other regions. why settle for less?

Because to some it isnt "settling". To some it is home.

and i'm saying that as an open minded liberal democrat btw.
Quote:
i've lived in the south before and have been to various countries...

a hell of a lot...speaking from a nyer's point of view.

i'm not saying that one can't be successful in the south but the majority of the ppl that *i* (and again, i don't speak for an entire region, obviously) know and went to college with that are from the south didn't really do much with their lives...they come from ppl who didn't have many opportunities which in turn shaped their outlook on things.

its hard to want more if you don't know that more is out there.

the south is full of min wage jobs or 20-30k jobs for ppl. screw that. ppl with degrees working in gas stations til they can find something making 30...and they're happy with that. smh.

there is way more to life than settling for making pennies and just making it. forget just existing. it just seems like the south is full of content with the status quo ppl...nothing wrong with that if thats what you're into but i'm not.

i just don't see why anyone would want to settle on mediocrity.
This underlines a difference in culture to me. Here, its alot less "go go go"...people are less materialistic. Northeasterners in general are always in a hurry, and never seem to stop and be content with what they have. Instead "Ok. I got this. Now I need this, and we gotta hurry about it. MOVE! Get out of my way!".

Sometimes what one person sees as mediocrity can be absolutely where someone else wants to be.

Im 22 years old....I like exploring and traveling. I dont mind hanging out in the hustle and bustle of a city for a while (Tokyo has NYC beat on this, IMO)...but when it all comes down to it I want to come home. Because ultimately this is exactly where I want to be.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:59 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
a 50-70k job coming out of college.
possible connects that work on 6th ave (google>images 6th ave).
our art scene (this is a given)
our music scene (nyc is the only place i know where ppl happen to know ___ mogul. ex. i have a cousin that knows and worked for russel simmons...now he works on wall st)
our news scene (have a cousin that worked for nbc, then nydailynews then mtv)
our transportation system is superior, period. if you don't have a car in the south, you're done. your life is over til you get one unless you live and work/chill in a very small area within your city.

ppl from OTHER STATES travel to nyc everyday/night to work then go back home, using our transporation system.

my uncle lives in jersey city and works in manhattan, for example. i know ppl that live in CT that work in NYC.

random other thoughts:

yankee stadium during the playoffs/world series
various parades:
dominican day
pr day
west indian, etc.
chinatown in manhattan and in flushing
our various world class museums
6th ave, in general
the opportunities our transporation bring 5th ave, in general
our zoo and aquarium
tourist stuff like the statue of liberty
empire state building
42nd st in general
madison square garden
botanical gardens
central park
5 pointz
our music scene, in general
our art scene in general
our fashion scene in general
soHo
etc.

and thats just in nyc. and there's more to that list. now picture being in jersey city and having access to all of that plus whatever is in jersey city?
Seriously. Many things on your list are irrelevant to most Blacks in this country when it comes to living. The South has their own parks, their own arenas, their own fashion, their own gardens, their own beaches, their own festivals, their own culture. You're naming buildings. WHO CARES. Why don't you talk about the HBCU's that are plentiful in the South and how it is nowhere to be found in NYC. You have PR and Dominican Parades. That's wonderful. We have Juneteenth, BCR, Goombay, Memorial day Fest, Texas Beach Party, Texas Relays, State Fair Classic, and Bayou Classic. You hate touristy areas. The South has Bourbon Street and Ocean Drive. Your transportation system is to be envied. But the South has culture, arenas, sports, zoo's and aquariums, opportunities, and more as well. I can list different stuff for each city, if you'd like. Central Park is fun. But so is South Beach. But again, as I stated before. Most blacks in this country STILL live in the South and it will forever be that way. Blacks moving from the South are just returning back to the South. Your view of the South is still stuck in the 1920s. It is very different especially in the major cities of Dallas, Houston, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, and more.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,583,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Why do you feel the south is undesireable to people in their 20s? Hilarious how northerners beat you over the head with how open minded and liberal they are when actuality they are some of the most closed minded people there are. And i'm saying this as a liberal democrat btw.
This. Especially on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.