Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Seriously. Many things on your list are irrelevant to most Blacks in this country when it comes to living. The South has their own parks, their own arenas, their own fashion, their own gardens, their own beaches, their own festivals, their own culture. You're naming buildings. WHO CARES. Why don't you talk about the HBCU's that are plentiful in the South and how it is nowhere to be found in NYC. You have PR and Dominican Parades. That's wonderful. We have Juneteenth, BCR, Goombay, Memorial day Fest, Texas Beach Party, Texas Relays, State Fair Classic, and Bayou Classic. You hate touristy areas. The South has Bourbon Street and Ocean Drive. Your transportation system is to be envied. But the South has culture, arenas, sports, zoo's and aquariums, opportunities, and more as well. I can list different stuff for each city, if you'd like. Central Park is fun. But so is South Beach. But again, as I stated before. Most blacks in this country STILL live in the South and it will forever be that way. Blacks moving from the South are just returning back to the South. Your view of the South is still stuck in the 1920s. It is very different especially in the major cities of Dallas, Houston, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, and more.
Great response. And don't forget state fairs, HBCU homecomings, family reunions, and campmeetings.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,820,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
This underlines a difference in culture to me. Here, its alot less "go go go"...people are less materialistic. Northeasterners in general are always in a hurry, and never seem to stop and be content with what they have. Instead "Ok. I got this. Now I need this, and we gotta hurry about it. MOVE! Get out of my way!".

Sometimes what one person sees as mediocrity can be absolutely where someone else wants to be.

Im 22 years old....I like exploring and traveling. I dont mind hanging out in the hustle and bustle of a city for a while (Tokyo has NYC beat on this, IMO)...but when it all comes down to it I want to come home. Because ultimately this is exactly where I want to be.
I kind of have to disagree with this, because a lot of southerners (mostly urban) can be some of the most materialistic people around. I think this is just characteristic of America in general. Not really unique to New York.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
because:

-there is less to do
-the job market just isn't as good
-lack of opportunities in comparison to the north or the west
-pay scale is much lower in comparison to other regions

it just isn't worth it. the south is some place that a person should consider retiring to...the economic opportunities while you're young just aren't there in comparison to other regions. why settle for less?

and i'm saying that as an open minded liberal democrat btw.

Some very provincial and narrow mindedness in this post

Anyone who has traveled to or lived in the large Southern cities (ATL, Houston, Miami or Dallas) knows that the opportunities are endless in those cities

Old 11-10-2009, 06:28 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
A conservative looks at diversity as whatever liberals do.

I am conservative and enjoy hanging out with the 50+ ethnicites in my community and enjoying their company. Unlike SOME liberals, I don't try to segregate myself from different people and scream how tolerant I am from my gated community

Your views are very distorted from what reality is for many of us conservatives

Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
1. That's the DC Area you're looking at, not the entire states.
2. If those numbers are right, they are obviously heavily affected by a single county, Prince Georges County, which has 527,183 blacks out of a total population of 825,924. The only other (county-level) jurisdiction in Maryland with a black majority is Baltimore.
3. Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Suffolk, Portsmouth, and Richmond, Virginia are all at least 50% black.
I guess I should've been more specific. I meant Northern Virginia not the entire state. Of course I know that there are plenty of black folks in the entire state of Virginia.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times
I guess going back to the original question. I think most black folks are moving down south for the same reasons that any race would. It's cheaper and warmer. Yes there's racism in the south but this isn't the Jim Crow era there's plenty of opportunities down south just like there are up north or anywhere else in the country.

I don't really know about the argument of being around one's race as the reason. There are plenty of black folks in places like New York, Detroit, Chicago, Philly, and St. Louis to name a few.

As far as the New York superiority argument...well we certainly know how to enforce negative NYC stereotypes don't we?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,695,075 times
again, i'm not trying to imply or say that the south has nothing at all and that every person in the south is backwards, slow moving, slow talking, not about anything, etc. i'm not saying that there are no parks, no high paying jobs, etc. in the south.

reread what i'm saying.

and my list is not irrelevant to most blacks. please. you want things to do? opportunities (economic and cultural?) then come to nyc and experience it all. there's a reason nyc is how it is and the south is how it is. we believe in progression now. we believe in having, we believe in making something out of nothing, we believe in business first, personal stuff second.

also, spade, why would i talk about what the south has when the guy i quoted wanted me to post what the south doesn't have?

comprehend what you read. and most blacks live in the south because of the history of slavery in this country. thats where the roots are. ppl return because their great grand mothers and grand mothers lived there.

for *younger* ppl, which is what i said, you benefit from living in the north during your youth waaaay more than living in the south if you have a go getter mentality. you can make money here easily. the opportunities just aren't there in the south for "average" ppl, in comparison. key word, comparison.

i'm not talking about your lawyers, doctors, or anything.

*edit again*
and hell yeah i named buildings but guess what?

empire state building
twin towers before they fell
ubs

members of my fam work(ed) in the above. so they aren't just buildings, those are jobs.

let me add to that list:

mtv
nbc
ny daily news
wall st
steve madden (the person)
def jam

got fam that works for all of the above. all black.

there are opportunities that you'd never find in the south like that, that are accessible to "everyday people."

you won't need a masters degree and 1823432 years of experience to make 40k in the north.

Last edited by eek; 11-10-2009 at 09:01 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
for *younger* ppl, which is what i said, you benefit from living in the north during your youth waaaay more than living in the south if you have a go getter mentality. you can make money here easily. the opportunities just aren't there in the south for "average" ppl, in comparison. key word, comparison.
The Best Cities for New College Grads - ABC News

Houston, Dallas and Austin nabbed the top three spots on our list of best cities for recent college grads. Spurred by low costs of living and booming energy and tech industries, these metro areas have a lot to offer new professionals seeking a home.

This includes high starting salaries. At $44,100, Houston's average starting salary for those with bachelor's degrees is the second-highest in the nation, behind only San Francisco, No. 10 on our list. The average starting salary in Dallas is $41,000; in Austin it's $38,700...

Atlanta, Seattle, Charlotte, N.C., and Denver also made the list.

And that's just one list. Trust me, there's plenty more where the South ranks favorably.

Quote:
you won't need a masters degree and 1823432 years of experience to make 40k in the north.
Dude, I had a job with a major telecommunications corporation here in Charlotte with only a bachelor's and no experience in customer service/sales and was making 40K, easy. And 40K in NYC is almost a poverty-level wage with that sky-high cost of living there. According to salary.com's Cost of Living wizard tool, "The cost of living in New York, NY is 77.6% higher than in Charlotte, NC. Therefore, you would have to earn a salary of $71,028 to maintain your current standard of living." You seriously have no clue what you're talking about. And these days, bachelor's degrees are as commonplace as high school diplomas, so yes people are getting master's degrees to increase their earning potential. That's smart. As I said, this little diatribe of yours is less about what the South actually offers (which you know very little about) and more about the quality of people you know and hang out with that were from the South.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,820,583 times
Quote:
again, i'm not trying to imply or say that the south has nothing at all and that every person in the south is backwards, slow moving, slow talking, not about anything, etc. i'm not saying that there are no parks, no high paying jobs, etc. in the south.

reread what i'm saying.

and my list is not irrelevant to most blacks. please. you want things to do? opportunities (economic and cultural?) then come to nyc and experience it all. there's a reason nyc is how it is and the south is how it is. we believe in progression now. we believe in having, we believe in making something out of nothing, we believe in business first, personal stuff second.

also, spade, why would i talk about what the south has when the guy i quoted wanted me to post what the south doesn't have?

comprehend what you read. and most blacks live in the south because of the history of slavery in this country. thats where the roots are. ppl return because their great grand mothers and grand mothers lived there.

i'm not talking about your lawyers, doctors, or anything.

*edit again*
and hell yeah i named buildings but guess what?

empire state building
twin towers before they fell
ubs

members of my fam work(ed) in the above. so they aren't just buildings, those are jobs.

let me add to that list:

mtv
nbc
ny daily news
wall st
steve madden (the person)
def jam

got fam that works for all of the above. all black.

there are opportunities that you'd never find in the south like that, that are accessible to "everyday people."

You don't need all that down south either. In fact, most people I've met that make 40K usually only have an associates degree, and sometimes no degree at all.

I've come to the conclusion that you either LYING about having been down south, or you've only been to some small area of it where the majority of the people were disadvantaged and you're basing all your beliefs off of that experience. Either way you have no clue what you're talking about so just give it up.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I've come to the conclusion that you either LYING about having been down south, or you've only been to some small area of it where the majority of the people were disadvantaged and you're basing all your beliefs off of that experience. Either way you have no clue what you're talking about so just give it up.
Or his only point of reference is a few losers from the South who aren't very interested in improving their lot in life. A combination of all three is probably closer to the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.