Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
You were in St. Louis and Chicago. There are other parts of the Midwest to check out, such as Columbus,OH among other places. And there are some segregated parts of the South too. I am very cynical as to believe race relations in the South are any better than in the North, or any worse. The way I look at it, the difference is that there are more liberals living in the Midwestern states. Not much better than the South. Personally, conservative politics are not my cup of tea. Suburban places are not my thing.
I've heard many great things about columbus. Never had the opportunity to live there. I think a place is only what you make of it. There are racist everywhere. Its all about a persons life style and finding a place that is conducive to who they are.

Don't make a move off of someone elses likes. I know magazines come out with the best place for this group or that group. The fact is its different for everyone.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:05 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I'll choose the (non-LA) integration of the west with libertarian and race-neutral whites and other non-blacks, over both of the north and south.
Huh? You must have forgotten about the riots that have occurred in LA. It's not necessarily all cool out West either. With that said, I'd probably be more of a Bay Area dude if I lived in CA.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:11 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Huh? You must have forgotten about the riots that have occurred in LA. It's not necessarily all cool out West either. With that said, I'd probably be more of a Bay Area dude if I lived in CA.
That's why I said "Non-LA" West; I'm excluding Los Angeles as a place where I would want to live in. It seems that when every time one wants to talk about the West being integrated (or just anything positive about the West or Cali in general), people always bring LA into the discussion, which is why I emphasized the "Non-LA" in quotations. The entire West (and even California) is - thankfully - not just Los Angeles.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
When alot of people rate the best places for African-Americans, alot of people seem to rule out the places west of the Mississippi river(other than in Texas). It is like if it isn't in the east or South, it can't be good. That is the opinion of some. There are good places and bad places.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
When alot of people rate the best places for African-Americans, alot of people seem to rule out the places west of the Mississippi river(other than in Texas). It is like if it isn't in the east or South, it can't be good. That is the opinion of some. There are good places and bad places.
It's because outside of California; the west lacks areas with vibrant black communities. You have lots of blacks move from the west to the south and the east to get the black experience that they missed out on growing up.

You could never convince me places like Portland or Seattle are great places for blacks because while they may be open-minded cities. I just can't get the culture and the experience I can in cities like Atlanta or Houston.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:01 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's because outside of California; the west lacks areas with vibrant black communities. You have lots of blacks move from the west to the south and the east to get the black experience that they missed out on growing up.

You could never convince me places like Portland or Seattle are great places for blacks because while they may be open-minded cities. I just can't get the culture and the experience I can in cities like Atlanta or Houston.
Which is why I call it the magnetic south. As a black person, I really don't care about culture that much nor do I believe I should stick to basically one culture.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Which is why I call it the magnetic south. As a black person, I really don't care about culture that much nor do I believe I should stick to basically one culture.
It's not about sticking to one culture; it's the fact that lots of black know little about their own ethnicity and heritage. I'm not saying Seattle or Portland are bad places, but they lack something that I admire.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
i too think that the south is still racists esp in nc. no opportunity for advancement. and one annoying thing i noticed is that a large majority,if u are not churchgoing they will ignore you. why must in the first conversation we have you ask what church i attend? pretty nosy on top of asking me if im married and have kids. one question: how come i dont see any black muslims{the ones with the bow ties and newspapers the final call} in the south trying to convert people like they do in the cities of the north?

Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I think the Nation of Islam was always more of a Northern urban thing. Their main mosque seems to be in Chicago and their first mosque was in Detroit. Although Elijah Muhammad was from Georgia and I don't know that it's exclusively Northern.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
i too think that the south is still racists esp in nc. no opportunity for advancement. and one annoying thing i noticed is that a large majority,if u are not churchgoing they will ignore you. why must in the first conversation we have you ask what church i attend? pretty nosy on top of asking me if im married and have kids. one question: how come i dont see any black muslims{the ones with the bow ties and newspapers the final call} in the south trying to convert people like they do in the cities of the north?
That is true that what church you go to can be conversation starter. That is starting to fade out though so I wouldn't get too up in arms about that one. I don't know if it's nosy or not I mean isn't any question nosy? I understand not wanting to talk about church. But asking if someone is married or has kids seems okay to me.

For me when I go home the first question anyone asks is what high school you went to and when you graduated. Once that's established it turns into a game of who do you know that I know. "Oh I bet you know So and so." "Yeah I remember so and so." "Yeah that's my cousin!" "Get out! I didn't know that was your cousin!"

I would say what high school one attended is more important than what church one goes to amongst the younger set. But if one is from New Jersey for example then the conversation might shift to what brought you down south. What neighborhood do you stay in now and then going back to seeing if you know some of the same people.

Music used to be a conversation starter but as I've gotten older people care more about kids and reminiscing than music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.