Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 07:55 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think the Nation of Islam was always more of a Northern urban thing. Their main mosque seems to be in Chicago and their first mosque was in Detroit. Although Elijah Muhammad was from Georgia and I don't know that it's exclusively Northern.
Yeah I would agree with that more of a northern thing but not exclusively northern my hometown has a mosque but its very small.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,273,775 times
I'm white and live in Charlotte for the last 15 years. I find that on an individual basis, everyone gets along great partially due to Southern politeness. I witness easy and friendly chatter between blacks and whites in the street, in stores, etc. Of course there are many progressive people here who are not racist, but when you look at the comment section in the local paper (where people don't have to give their name), you see that extreme racism does exist here.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I'm white and live in Charlotte for the last 15 years. I find that on an individual basis, everyone gets along great partially due to Southern politeness. I witness easy and friendly chatter between blacks and whites in the street, in stores, etc. Of course there are many progressive people here who are not racist, but when you look at the comment section in the local paper (where people don't have to give their name), you see that extreme racism does exist here.
Yep that's southern racism for ya. Oh so polite in your face but behind your back...watch out.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,145,451 times
The south is African American people Mexico. We was the Mexican immigrants traveling up north 30 or more years ago. Beside West Africa, it's a region where most of us can trace our roots. The deep south is cheaper than anywhere else, and 55% of black people live in the south. The south doesn't appeal to me and me being atheist is a complete contrast to the heavily religious southern cities. I plan to stay up North. My family been in Chicago since the 1950s.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 12-16-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,145,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
African Americans are moving to the South for various reasons, but in general, it's for the same reasons that ALL human beings move from one place to another--to obtain what they hope will be a better quality of life. Some of them are older people who were born in the South and are just moving back after they retire. They're ready for a slower pace and more relaxed life back around their relatives "down home." Plus, the lower cost of living allows them to do a lot more with their retirement funds.

But a lot of younger blacks from the North might be several generations removed from the South, not as familiar with it, and don't necessarily consider it "home." They move South simply because they become aware of opportunities down there; their's is simply a logical decision to move to southern cities with lower-costs of living, higher quality of housing, better environments to raise families, and so forth.

There are a lot of stereotypical and ignorant viewpoints expressed on this thread about the South. I can tell that some posters on here don't know what the hell they're talking about. They have views of the South based on TV & Movies--Hollywood images basically. Plus, most blacks in places like NY and Philly are the descendants of people who moved North several generations ago, at the height of the Jim Crow era. They were raised with memories of lynchings, oppression, extreme racism, lack of opportunity, etc., that were passed down from their "great-granparents" who migrated--so that's what they associate with the South. I'm unique in that I'm a first generation Philadelphian who was sent down South (GA) for a period during high school. I also spent time in various states when I was in the military. Then I went to college & grad school in different states. So I've been exposed to different places and don't have to rely on stereotypes.

Today, the South is no more racist than the North, so it's B.S. for some to try and portray that. I feel much more comfortable & safer driving through the rural South than in some of the lily-white, rural areas, deep in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana where I've been. Like Malcolm X said, if "the South" is the home of racism, then "the South" is anywhere & everywhere "South of the Canadian border."

Now, I do love the urban nature and culture of the northern cities (Philly, NY, Jersey etc.), but that's just my personal preference and taste. I love the urban feel that exists in the better black neighborhoods in areas of Philly like Mt. Airy, West Oaklane, Wynnefield, etc. I've visited the middle-class neighborhoods of my NY college buddies who were from areas in Queens, NY, Hempstead, Long Island, etc. My own NY relatives are scattered throughout the city in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Harlem--and I've spent time in all of those areas (although all the older ones that I was close to have moved South). I LOVE the urban North.

But honestly, there is NO black area in the Northeast that can compare to the type of affluent, middle-class, black areas in the Atlanta area, suburban Maryland (that's officially the South too), etc. I chose Maryland because it's like a combination of the North and the South, it has elements of both, so that was a good fit for me. Heard good things about the Houston area too, but I can't speak on that since I haven't experienced it for myself. I've spent time in North Carolina and dig it down there too. I could see myself living in the Raleigh area someday when I retire. Most likely though, I'll remain in MD unless there is some compelling reason for me to move further South.
I know Maryland is technically part of the south, but for some reason I view Baltimore and the rest of Maryland part of the North.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:37 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,452,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yep that's southern racism for ya. Oh so polite in your face but behind your back...watch out.
That depends on where in the South you are and to be honest I thought it was traditionally stated that the South is more "upfront" in racism. Strom Thurmond wasn't all that coy when he ran for President. In his opposition to the Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill Senator Overman of North Carolina said many things including this "the ignorant Negroes of the South would interpret the Bill as a Federal license to commit the foulest of outrages." He also stated the "decent hard-working Negroes of the South" live fine and wouldn't be lynched anyway.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...649D946395D6CF

Even in more modern times there has been several not-so-subtle racists in Southern history.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
It is becoming more and more like that now. Many who do try to hide it well, one can see through it in some cases.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That depends on where in the South you are and to be honest I thought it was traditionally stated that the South is more "upfront" in racism. Strom Thurmond wasn't all that coy when he ran for President. In his opposition to the Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill Senator Overman of North Carolina said many things including this "the ignorant Negroes of the South would interpret the Bill as a Federal license to commit the foulest of outrages." He also stated the "decent hard-working Negroes of the South" live fine and wouldn't be lynched anyway.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...649D946395D6CF

Even in more modern times there has been several not-so-subtle racists in Southern history.
Yeah I'm not saying that there aren't not-so-subtle racists in the South. But for example no one has said negro or harsher words to my face. I still say that modern racism is more subtle and rarely direct, particularly in the south.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:44 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm not saying that there aren't not-so-subtle racists in the South. But for example no one has said negro or harsher words to my face. I still say that modern racism is more subtle and rarely direct, particularly in the south.
I think both kinds exist. There have been the persons who have said the "N" word to my face, not to mention other foul names. There have also been the persons who try to hide it.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I think both kinds exist. There have been the persons who have said the "N" word to my face, not to mention other foul names. There have also been the persons who try to hide it.
Understood. Perspective is everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.