Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 05:31 PM

72,805 posts, read 62,114,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Understood. Perspective is everything.
It is about perspective. In 2004, I watched a TV program by Henry Louis Gates Jr called America Beyond The Color Line. I was a few months away from graduating high school and I was a distressed teenager who hated where he lived. I heard about African-Americans going to the South in record numbers. Considering what I was going through in high school, being around some small-minded attitudes, I thought of that migration as crazy at the time. I thought of it as "Why would you go South? I don't even want to live down here." I was 17 and I didn't know everything. I look back on it and the people who move to the South have their reasons.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:58 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,051,212 times
I am black and live in the south and agree the blacks in the south are not as progressive as up north. I dislike Atlanta, although I reside in Fla. I wouldn't want to live in the North east unless it was the burbs....But I guess it depends on the perspective and the drive of the individual that predicts how their outlook and outcome. I don't think the brothas in my state have much drive and ambition....Now when you head up to VA, the Chi, Cali (some parts), Dallas they act like grown men and have drive and ambition and very well accomplished. Too much of the uneducated trying to bling out and be about my hustle goin on in the South for me...I'm up

Old 01-24-2010, 11:48 AM

92,053 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I am black and live in the south and agree the blacks in the south are not as progressive as up north. I dislike Atlanta, although I reside in Fla. I wouldn't want to live in the North east unless it was the burbs....But I guess it depends on the perspective and the drive of the individual that predicts how their outlook and outcome. I don't think the brothas in my state have much drive and ambition....Now when you head up to VA, the Chi, Cali (some parts), Dallas they act like grown men and have drive and ambition and very well accomplished. Too much of the uneducated trying to bling out and be about my hustle goin on in the South for me...I'm up
You mean to tell me that all of the Black males in Florida act in that specific way? Interesting......

Old 01-24-2010, 03:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,785,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Didn't know you have such extensive experience with Blacks from all corners of the South and the Northeast to the point that you can make such blanket statements. Interesting.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM

631 posts, read 1,222,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Didn't know you have such extensive experience with Blacks from all corners of the South and the Northeast to the point that you can make such blanket statements. Interesting.
Isnt that A bit off lol. I was reading that thing and was like... Im glad he is not talking about me. Maybe he is watching to many Rap videos. As in Atlanta we have the highest number of educated blacks with degrees in the South. this label he has put on blacks in the South is very untrue because some blacks up north have the same mentality.....

Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,003,470 times
I'm guessing when people say that the best place for black people to move is the "northeast" they mean ny & nj. Basically all of new england is extremely white, very little diversity compared to the rest of the country. If I were black and looking for a place with a lot of "black culture" then new england is the last place I would go.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I'm guessing when people say that the best place for black people to move is the "northeast" they mean ny & nj. Basically all of new england is extremely white, very little diversity compared to the rest of the country. If I were black and looking for a place with a lot of "black culture" then new england is the last place I would go.
Actually, the city you claim has a Black population and is in Connecticut, which has other cities like New Haven and Bridgeport with high Black populations too. Windsor is one of the few communities where Black families actually make more on average than White families(barely, but they do) and it is about 27% Black. Stamford, Waterbury, New Britain, New London and Danbury have quite few Black folks too. Same with Providence, Boston, Springfield and some suburban communities outside of these cities(Cambridge, Lynn, Hamden, Stratford, Bloomfield, West Haven and East Hartford).

Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,051,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Well now you know...very interesting....

Old 01-25-2010, 01:52 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,905,650 times
Please remember that discussions like this is what make many people think blacks are a monolithic race, which is anything but true. It all depends on the person.

-The black person who's more in-tune with their race (or has been treated with love and embrace from their race) would probably love moving to a place in the South where an active black community is present, i.e. Atlanta and Charlotte.

-The black person who has career ambitions would shine in particular places where their career path is most visible: for finance, it's NYC; for politics & law, it's DC; for computer & programming, it's San Jose/Silicon Valley.

-The black person who is more Americanized will want to move to other places where one's cultural affiliation determines more of a person's worth than their skin color. For these people, the Western States in general would serve their needs.

-The black person who is directly descended from Africa or the Caribbean would probably find more of a cultural attachment in places within South Florida and other cities where a high presence of Caribbeans or people from their respective African country reside.

See what I'm saying. Not every place is for everyone! All blacks don't want to go "back" to the South, and we all know that from the reaction of more "loyal & militant blacks" that ALL blacks wouldn't be accepted in the "Black Meccas," let's be honest here.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Please remember that discussions like this is what make many people think blacks are a monolithic race, which is anything but true. It all depends on the person.

-The black person who's more in-tune with their race (or has been treated with love and embrace from their race) would probably love moving to a place in the South where an active black community is present, i.e. Atlanta and Charlotte.

-The black person who has career ambitions would shine in particular places where their career path is most visible: for finance, it's NYC; for politics & law, it's DC; for computer & programming, it's San Jose/Silicon Valley.

-The black person who is more Americanized will want to move to other places where one's cultural affiliation determines more of a person's worth than their skin color. For these people, the Western States in general would serve their needs.

-The black person who is directly descended from Africa or the Caribbean would probably find more of a cultural attachment in places within South Florida and other cities where a high presence of Caribbeans or people from their respective African country reside.

See what I'm saying. Not every place is for everyone! All blacks don't want to go "back" to the South, and we all know that from the reaction of more "loyal & militant blacks" that ALL blacks wouldn't be accepted in the "Black Meccas," let's be honest here.
Actually, I think the "Black Meccas" would actually have a variety of Black folks that fit the wide range of examples you gave. I understand and actually agree with what you are getting at, but even within said metro aras, you will see a varience. So, a Black person that lives in inner city Charlotte might have a different experience than a person that lives in Davidson, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.