Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 03:17 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,050,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Please remember that discussions like this is what make many people think blacks are a monolithic race, which is anything but true. It all depends on the person.

-The black person who's more in-tune with their race (or has been treated with love and embrace from their race) would probably love moving to a place in the South where an active black community is present, i.e. Atlanta and Charlotte.

-The black person who has career ambitions would shine in particular places where their career path is most visible: for finance, it's NYC; for politics & law, it's DC; for computer & programming, it's San Jose/Silicon Valley.

-The black person who is more Americanized will want to move to other places where one's cultural affiliation determines more of a person's worth than their skin color. For these people, the Western States in general would serve their needs.

-The black person who is directly descended from Africa or the Caribbean would probably find more of a cultural attachment in places within South Florida and other cities where a high presence of Caribbeans or people from their respective African country reside.

See what I'm saying. Not every place is for everyone! All blacks don't want to go "back" to the South, and we all know that from the reaction of more "loyal & militant blacks" that ALL blacks wouldn't be accepted in the "Black Meccas," let's be honest here.
Very Well Said!! I completely agree...I am of Carribean descent and I am in south Fla...Ready to be up...I prefer the West coast..Moving there soon

Old 01-25-2010, 05:46 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,352,431 times
Quote:
Please remember that discussions like this is what make many people think blacks are a monolithic race, which is anything but true. It all depends on the person.

-The black person who's more in-tune with their race (or has been treated with love and embrace from their race) would probably love moving to a place in the South where an active black community is present, i.e. Atlanta and Charlotte.

-The black person who has career ambitions would shine in particular places where their career path is most visible: for finance, it's NYC; for politics & law, it's DC; for computer & programming, it's San Jose/Silicon Valley.

-The black person who is more Americanized will want to move to other places where one's cultural affiliation determines more of a person's worth than their skin color. For these people, the Western States in general would serve their needs.

-The black person who is directly descended from Africa or the Caribbean would probably find more of a cultural attachment in places within South Florida and other cities where a high presence of Caribbeans or people from their respective African country reside.

See what I'm saying. Not every place is for everyone! All blacks don't want to go "back" to the South, and we all know that from the reaction of more "loyal & militant blacks" that ALL blacks wouldn't be accepted in the "Black Meccas," let's be honest here.
Very valid points! I'm an American who happens to be black, and I would like nothing more than to live in rural Michigan, North Dakota, or Alaska. I wouldn't be caught dead in the Southern "black meccas," not because I don't like black people, but because I can't stand the South and have much more affinity with Northern culture and way of life. Plus, I love four season climates (especially WINTER!) and can't stand humid heat. So, it's different for different people, just like any other race.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Well now you know...very interesting....
Of course I was being sarcastic, but you obviously don't know. What you said was pretty ignorant.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Of course I was being sarcastic, but you obviously don't know. What you said was pretty ignorant.
I guess you aren't too comfortable with sarcasm as well

Have a great week!!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I guess you aren't too comfortable with sarcasm as well

Have a great week!!
If what you said in this post is considered sarcasm, then you sure have a poor way of getting that across.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,632,569 times
Fairfaxian: I see your status update says that you're thinking about the West. Whereabouts do you think you might want to move?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
If what you said in this post is considered sarcasm, then you sure have a poor way of getting that across.
Ok...you appear to have a critical spirit...having a bad week???

I hope it gets better. I honestly do..Not being sarcastic here.

I am not sure who informed you that you set the barometer for sarcasm or criticism. But you don't--

Have a great week--er a better one. Really I pray you do.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,905,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Fairfaxian: I see your status update says that you're thinking about the West. Whereabouts do you think you might want to move?
I'm looking mainly in the metropolitan areas of Denver, Seattle, San Diego, and even Houston and Austin.

I've always wanted to go out West. The history of it's libertarian-minded and independent spirit is what still drives me to that part of the country. The problem has been the economy of those areas and me just getting out of college. I currently have an entry-level job with the federal government, so it's very secure to say the least. I still want to at least visit the areas to get a feel of those places and how progressive they are.

Regardless, it's not a matter of "if" but "when" a matter of any open jobs that are relevant to my career goal are available. Not that the current one is completely irrelevant, but the sooner I have the career I'm passionate about AND in an area where I can feel renewed (especially in the racial sense), the better!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,352,431 times
Quote:
I'm looking mainly in the metropolitan areas of Denver, Seattle, San Diego, and even Houston and Austin.

I've always wanted to go out West. The history of it's libertarian-minded and independent spirit is what still drives me to that part of the country. The problem has been the economy of those areas and me just getting out of college. I currently have an entry-level job with the federal government, so it's very secure to say the least. I still want to at least visit the areas to get a feel of those places and how progressive they are.

Regardless, it's not a matter of "if" but "when" a matter of any open jobs that are relevant to my career goal are available. Not that the current one is completely irrelevant, but the sooner I have the career I'm passionate about AND in an area where I can feel renewed (especially in the racial sense), the better!
Stay away from Houston and Austin, and Texas in general. Those are still Southern cities and still have many of the issues found in other parts of the South. Houston specifically is very conservative and has a large black population. Seattle, Denver, and San Diego would all be good choices. Also look into Boise and Billings, which are up-and-coming Western cities.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,632,569 times
Quote:

I'm glad you're narrowing things down. I know a lot of people gave you a hard time on your other thread about being non "stereotypical" and looking for a place that is truly open-minded when it comes to race. Your list is a pretty good one.

I lived in Seattle one summer for an internship and found people to be very community-minded, fair, and tolerant. Though Seattle's black population is fairly small, I saw plenty of friendly interaction between the two races. Also, the fact that there really isn't a bad neighborhood in Seattle that is nearly all-black helps the situation. I walked around Seattle's "black" neighborhood a few times and saw a very good mix of people coexisting. The Pacific Northwest really doesn't have a history of racism, and due to the small black population and absence of "ghettos" that can be found in other regions of the country, people likely aren't socialized to fear blacks and think negatively of black neighborhoods as they are in other regions.

I don't know too much about Denver but I've heard good things with regards to diversity and integration. Houston is diverse, but more segregated than Western Cities, minus Los Angeles. San Diego is known to be home to a lot of conservatives (whom lots of people presume to be more racist than liberals... but that often is NOT the case at all), but I have heard that there are better race relations there than further north in the Los Angeles area.

Finally, I think it would be worth looking into Austin as well. Central Austin and the hills to its west and northwest are known to be home to a lot of tolerant people. There aren't too many blacks there either and it is right on the border of where the South stopped and the West began, so there really isn't much of a legacy of racism or fear of blacks there, to my knowledge. Also, due to the University of Texas being a highly-respected research university, there are plenty of intellectuals who care more about what you read or what you aspire to do than about the color of your skin. I don't have much experience with Austin, though, and am primarily going by what friends who have lived there before tell me.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.