Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 04:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
There was also an old thread about the good cities for black people in the west
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...cans-west.html
If I had to pick a city in the West outside of CA to move to; I'd definitely pick Denver.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Ok...you appear to have a critical spirit...having a bad week???

I hope it gets better. I honestly do..Not being sarcastic here.

I am not sure who informed you that you set the barometer for sarcasm or criticism. But you don't--

Have a great week--er a better one. Really I pray you do.
So I'm the one being critical, yet you're the one painting all Black people in the South with such a broad brush, as if you've interacted with every Black person in the South? Take the beam out of your own eye first, how about that?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,122,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I think it's just coincidence that those cities have a relatively low black population. It's not the reason why they're so popular/'cool.'
I don't think so. Let's be honest: There are things that, a white people consider popular/cool that black people (or other races) may not. While all of this rests on the individual, it is clear there are areas where black people (or minorities) lack a significant presence.

Extreme sports, country, indie music and opera come to mind...

It's like when someone "Oh, such and such a place is amazing, because there are places to ski and there's lots of live music." Someone else might not give a rat's ass. It works in the opposite way too.

This just touches on the fact that American media and perception is primarily dominated by white culture, because white people are the predominant ethnicity.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,050,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
So I'm the one being critical, yet you're the one painting all Black people in the South with such a broad brush, as if you've interacted with every Black person in the South? Take the beam out of your own eye first, how about that?
Daily I am trying to do that my brother...

Old 01-28-2010, 03:14 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,352,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I don't think so. Let's be honest: There are things that, a white people consider popular/cool that black people (or other races) may not. While all of this rests on the individual, it is clear there are areas where black people (or minorities) lack a significant presence.

Extreme sports, country, indie music and opera come to mind...

It's like when someone "Oh, such and such a place is amazing, because there are places to ski and there's lots of live music." Someone else might not give a rat's ass. It works in the opposite way too.

This just touches on the fact that American media and perception is primarily dominated by white culture, because white people are the predominant ethnicity.
That's true in a sense, but I think it does oversimplify things. There are black people who are interested in extreme sports, opera, country, and indie music (I'm part black, and interested in all of those things). There are many white people who could care less.

I think the biggest factor in where the majority of the black population is located is family history and past migration patterns. Most blacks were brought to the South to be slaves, after slavery most migrated to the Northeast, Eastern Midwest, or California to escape Jim Crow and work factory jobs. Very few ended up in places like Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, or North Dakota, not because those places were racist or unappealing to blacks, but because (at the time) they had little opportunities for unskilled labor, and little existing industry beyond farming or ranching.

Also, during the Great Migration, to arrive at any of those locations meant to pass through other areas that would be acceptable for blacks. Many poor blacks in the South bought the cheapest possible train ticket to a Northern/Western locale. For those in the Carolinas, that was NYC or Philadelphia; for those in Georgia, that was Ohio, Buffalo, Rochester, or Pittsburgh; for those in Tennessee and Alabama, it was Indiana or Michigan; for those in Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas, it was Chicago or St. Louis; and for those in Texas, it was California.

The reason many blacks didn't go to places like Minneapolis, Boston, or Fargo is that they would have had to pass through Chicago, Philly, or New York to get to those locations, and most figured it would be easier to just stay in those locations than continue to cities located farther away.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,583,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I'm looking mainly in the metropolitan areas of Denver, Seattle, San Diego, and even Houston and Austin.

I've always wanted to go out West. The history of it's libertarian-minded and independent spirit is what still drives me to that part of the country. The problem has been the economy of those areas and me just getting out of college. I currently have an entry-level job with the federal government, so it's very secure to say the least. I still want to at least visit the areas to get a feel of those places and how progressive they are.

Regardless, it's not a matter of "if" but "when" a matter of any open jobs that are relevant to my career goal are available. Not that the current one is completely irrelevant, but the sooner I have the career I'm passionate about AND in an area where I can feel renewed (especially in the racial sense), the better!
Regarding the whole libertarian thing: I can see Denver and Austin fitting that image, but Seattle seems to come of more left-wing than libertarian, and have its fair share of "open-minded" people who censure everyone who doesn't think and vote like them.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,291,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Regarding the whole libertarian thing: I can see Denver and Austin fitting that image, but Seattle seems to come of more left-wing than libertarian, and have its fair share of "open-minded" people who censure everyone who doesn't think and vote like them.
As much as I love Seattle, what you stated is very true. I would say that Seattle may be even MORE left-leaning than the Bay Area, and they are very proud of it.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
That's true in a sense, but I think it does oversimplify things. There are black people who are interested in extreme sports, opera, country, and indie music (I'm part black, and interested in all of those things). There are many white people who could care less.

I think the biggest factor in where the majority of the black population is located is family history and past migration patterns. Most blacks were brought to the South to be slaves, after slavery most migrated to the Northeast, Eastern Midwest, or California to escape Jim Crow and work factory jobs. Very few ended up in places like Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, or North Dakota, not because those places were racist or unappealing to blacks, but because (at the time) they had little opportunities for unskilled labor, and little existing industry beyond farming or ranching.

Also, during the Great Migration, to arrive at any of those locations meant to pass through other areas that would be acceptable for blacks. Many poor blacks in the South bought the cheapest possible train ticket to a Northern/Western locale. For those in the Carolinas, that was NYC or Philadelphia; for those in Georgia, that was Ohio, Buffalo, Rochester, or Pittsburgh; for those in Tennessee and Alabama, it was Indiana or Michigan; for those in Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas, it was Chicago or St. Louis; and for those in Texas, it was California.

The reason many blacks didn't go to places like Minneapolis, Boston, or Fargo is that they would have had to pass through Chicago, Philly, or New York to get to those locations, and most figured it would be easier to just stay in those locations than continue to cities located farther away.
It's very true. You may like those things, hell I'm black and I like them a little bit too, but they are also defined by their racial connection to white society. Why is that? People who are stars in those fields are white. Also many cities where such things are popular have large white populations. There are always exceptions, but there are major correlations as well.

I believe it has little to do with bus tickets, because I figure that people will go where they feel comfortable are accepted, regardless. We're not living in those times so why are people still there?

Going to simplify again. (You have to simplify if you're going to make a point.) It's about what those cities offer as a climate for a particular race. It's really a cycle. If Boston provides an environment that is conducive to black people living there, more black people will move there and in turn invite more black culture into the area.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,352,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
It's very true. You may like those things, hell I'm black and I like them a little bit too, but they are also defined by their racial connection to white society. Why is that? People who are stars in those fields are white. Also many cities where such things are popular have large white populations. There are always exceptions, but there are major correlations as well.
I'll give you some of that. However, there are black stars in each of those arenas. Also, most cities in the U.S. are majority white. That doesn't mean they are entirely bereft of blacks.

Quote:
I believe it has little to do with bus tickets, because I figure that people will go where they feel comfortable are accepted, regardless. We're not living in those times so why are people still there?
At the time (1920 - 1970), all of those cities (Chicago, NYC, LA, Detroit, etc.) had very low, if not non-existent black populations. Blacks traveled to where they could find jobs, and they often did choose the cheapest travel opportunity to those locations. Boston or Minneapolis weren't any more racist than Detroit or Pittsburgh, they were just much harder to reach from the Deep South in the 20th century.

As to why they are still there? Most people don't like moving. They grew roots in those areas, made connections, started families, had children, and started businesses; and most don't want to leave that behind. Why are blacks still in Mississippi, a state that is known for its past violence, racial intimidation, and hatred? The same reason, people are established there and don't like to move.

Quote:
Going to simplify again. (You have to simplify if you're going to make a point.) It's about what those cities offer as a climate for a particular race. It's really a cycle. If Boston provides an environment that is conducive to black people living there, more black people will move there and in turn invite more black culture into the area.
So, you're basically saying that those cities are racist and are deliberately trying to keep blacks out. That's not the case. Most of the cities the OP named (Austin, Portland, Boston, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc.) have stable black populations, and the cities are trying to attract more minorities. Boston, specifically, has always had a large and prominent free black population, even during the 19th century when most American blacks were slaves. Even places like small-town North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, etc., places where you would NEVER expect to find black people, have SOME black residents. It's not that these areas are racist and trying to stop black Americans from moving in, it's that they never had the systemic factors to attract out-of-town blacks in the first place.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
So, you're basically saying that those cities are racist and are deliberately trying to keep blacks out. That's not the case. Most of the cities the OP named (Austin, Portland, Boston, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc.) have stable black populations, and the cities are trying to attract more minorities. Boston, specifically, has always had a large and prominent free black population, even during the 19th century when most American blacks were slaves. Even places like small-town North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, etc., places where you would NEVER expect to find black people, have SOME black residents. It's not that these areas are racist and trying to stop black Americans from moving in, it's that they never had the systemic factors to attract out-of-town blacks in the first place.

No.

I'm definitely NOT saying that. I know Boston (and the other cities) have a black and latino population. I'm just saying these places do not necessarily cater to black culture the most, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.