Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
The bottom line is racism has been a part of this WHOLE country from the beginning. Not just the south. The southern white male has just been made into a scapegoat by the rest of the country in order to preserve the image of the rest of the country. If this country were to really start looking like the great oasis they have been trying to sell to the rest of the world they needed to pin the negatives of racism on a scapegoat.

Ever since the Civil War the north has been no better than the south. At the beginning of the war the north swore that it was a "White man's war for Union" and had nothing to do with slaves or blacks therefore blacks would not be taken into the union army. However, they changed their tune when they were losing early on.

Heck even old Abraham Lincoln who many people idolize today had some interesting words in his debates with Stephen Douglas:

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything"

Those are some words from the NORTHERN great emancipater.

Hell the biggest racists and exploiters of blacks today aren't rednecks in the south (who are actually the last of our worries if you ask me). They are in high powered positions whether it be corporations or with the government.

It has also been my understanding that race relations in many southern cities are better than they are in places like Chicago and New York.

I'm not saying the south is perfect because obviously some terrible things have happened here. But as a black man who has had a father from Brooklyn who experienced northern racism first hand, it makes me angry when I hear northerners try to sweep what has happened and still happens there under the rug and project some false image. That's just not the case and it irritates me every day that they have gotten away with it.
Could not have said it better.Great post.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
The bottom line is racism has been a part of this WHOLE country from the beginning. Not just the south. The southern white male has just been made into a scapegoat by the rest of the country in order to preserve the image of the rest of the country. If this country were to really start looking like the great oasis they have been trying to sell to the rest of the world they needed to pin the negatives of racism on a scapegoat.

Ever since the Civil War the north has been no better than the south. At the beginning of the war the north swore that it was a "White man's war for Union" and had nothing to do with slaves or blacks therefore blacks would not be taken into the union army. However, they changed their tune when they were losing early on.

Heck even old Abraham Lincoln who many people idolize today had some interesting words in his debates with Stephen Douglas:

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything"

Hell the biggest racists and exploiters of blacks today aren't rednecks in the south (who are actually the last of our worries if you ask me). They are in high powered positions whether it be corporations or with the government.

It has also been my understanding that race relations in many southern cities are better than they are in places like Chicago and New York.

I'm not saying the south is perfect because obviously some terrible things have happened here. But as a black man who has had a father from Brooklyn who experienced northern racism first hand, it makes me angry when I hear northerners try to sweep what has happened and still happens there under the rug and project some false image. That's just not the case and it irritates me every day that they have gotten away with it.
Great post, UTH!

Old 01-31-2010, 02:31 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:

What's also interesting and missing within history books is that many Northern states had slavery. For instance, NY had slavery until July 4, 1827. Most of the slavery in NY was Downstate and along the Hudson and Mohawk River Valleys. If you could get the book North Star Country by Milton Sernett, a former Syracuse University professor, it breaks down the good and bad in regards to slavery in NY. North Star Country Upstate New York and the Crusade for African American Freedom by Milton C. Sernett :: Syracuse University Press Syracuse New York
North star country: upstate New York ... - Google Books

I think the difference between the North/West and the South is the degree of blatant and covert racism.

This post also made me think of this book too: Amazon.com: Forced into Glory: Abraham Lincoln's White Dream (9780874850857): Lerone Bennett Jr.: Books

and an opposing view to that book: "Forced into Glory" Book Review by Edward Steers, Jr.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually,I thought what you said in that post that he is referring to was intended to be understood as you stated it.(You made a blanket statement about a place that you obviously know little about but made negative comments about the inhabitants of the area.)So seriously where was the sarcasm?You did sound serious.Anyone who tends to write often ,can understand that sarcasim just does not convey well in written form,unless it is just blatantly obvious.No one knows you on here so we have no way of knowing how you really feel.You seem to know how to use the smile icons,So I would suggest you use the when denoting sarcasism so as to avoid confusion of your true meaning.

Also too answer your critical views of how less progressive Southern Blacks are.You should consider these things.
Martin Luther King Jr from Atlanta had as his most trusted fiend and advisor Bayard Ruskin a black openly gay man who actually was the brains and organizer of the March on Washington,was forced out by NEW YORK STATE Representative and SCLC board member Adam Clayton Powell jr.

Billionaire Blacks
Oprah Winfrey-Mississippi
Robert Johnson-MS(BET Founder)
Donald Watkins-Alabama Donald Watkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reginal Lewis-VA First black man to complete an LBO of a Billion dollar company

Douglas Wilder-VA first Black (elected) Governor of a US State
PBS Pinchback-Georgia fist appointed Govermor of a U.S. state in 1868.Wealthy landowner

Andrew Young-Louisiana first UN ambassador

Walter Massey-MS Former Morehouse College President,Now Chairman of the Board of Bank of America
Success for African-Americans isn't limited to the South.

Bill Cosby - born ad raised in Philadelphia,PA and got his degree from Temple University in Philadelphia.

Carl Stokes - First African-American mayor of a major city(Cleveland,OH, born and raised)

Wellington Webb - from Denver,CO. First African-American mayor of Denver. Also, Norman B. Rice is from Denver,CO as well. He was the first African-American mayor of Seattle. Philip Bailey(member of Earth Wind and Fire) is also a Denver native.

Motown was fouded in Detroit.

Jet Magazine was founded in Chicago,IL.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Success for African-Americans isn't limited to the South.

Bill Cosby - born ad raised in Philadelphia,PA and got his degree from Temple University in Philadelphia.

Carl Stokes - First African-American mayor of a major city(Cleveland,OH, born and raised)

Wellington Webb - from Denver,CO. First African-American mayor of Denver. Also, Norman B. Rice is from Denver,CO as well. He was the first African-American mayor of Seattle. Philip Bailey(member of Earth Wind and Fire) is also a Denver native.

Motown was fouded in Detroit.

Jet Magazine was founded in Chicago,IL.
Yes of course I know that.The question was more about progressive blacks.Although success often can be the same thing.My point was a response to what I have come across repeatedly from blacks from the North over the years.(Mainly North east).These are also my relatives,whose parents or Great-grandparents fled the South due to all the violence and hardship.They act as if black people are still living the lives of "Amos n Andy".As if we are "stuck" and incapable of moving forward.I find it particularly offensive when I here some blacks who move from up North or still live up North refer to cities like Atlanta a success because of all the "black people from the North who have come."They really think Atlanta would have not have been what it is without their "Northern Aggression"

They have to be reminded that through all that hardship when many of "blacks could not take it."That those who did not want to or could not leave paid a severe price so that their children did not have to live a life of depression,servitude or walk with their heads hung down.

Yes they have to be reminded that:
Madame C.J. Walker---LA-- was the FIRST black or WHITE female millionaire.
George Washington CarverMO (January 1864[1][2] – January 5, 1943), was an American scientist, botanist, educator and inventor.
Quote:
Before and after his death, there was a movement to establish a U.S. national monument to Carver. However, because of World War II such non-war expenditures were banned by presidential order. Missouri senator Harry S. Truman sponsored a bill anyway. The bill passed in both houses without a single vote against.

Henry O.Flipper-GA-first black to graduate from West Point
Eartha Kitt-NC-Catwoman(Batman 1960's)Political activist
Nina Simone-NC
Little Richard-Macon,GA
Dr.Louis Sullivan-Born November 3, 1933 in Atlanta, Ga. Claim to Fame - A phsyician; first African American cabinet member (Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services) in President George Bush's Adminsitration; first dean and president of Morehouse School of Medicine.
Alice Walker-Eastman ,GA-Author of "The Color Purple"

The list goes on and on.I have heard on this very forum someone from NYC talk about the fact that in Atlanta (or South) "we don't have a P.Diddy,Jay-z,or a Russell Simmons."Yet they forget that the wealthiest black neighborhoods are in the South or that every black Billionaire has been from the South.NONE.

Atlanta has had a black bourgeoisie class dating back to the early 1900's.
WEB Dubois,he moved to Georgia, where he established the Department of Social Work at Atlanta University (now Clark Atlanta University Whitney M. Young school of Social Work).

Anyone interested in learning more about the old money and black middle class in the few cities that had them(such as Atlanta-Auburn Ave, Louisiana,New York Harlem,Philadelphia,and even L.A.)should read this book by Lawrence Otis Graham.http://www.lawrenceotisgraham.com/images/books/our_kind_of_people_lg.jpg (broken link)
All of his books are great.Including:The Senator and the Socialite: The True Story of America's First Black Dynasty
This is the true story of America’s first black dynasty and follows three generations of a family that rose from slavery to the U.S. Senate. Born a Mississippi slave in 1841, Blanche Kelso Bruce amassed a real estate fortune and became the first black to serve a full Senate term. He married Josephine Willson, the daughter of a wealthy black doctor, and they broke racial barriers as a socialite couple in 1880s Washington. By hosting white Republicans and blacks like President Grant and Frederick Douglass, Bruce gained appointments under four Presidents, culminating with a Treasury post which placed his name on all U.S. currency.

Frankly I find the whole thing silly.It is absolutely nothing more than a "slave mentality" that these blacks from up North(regardless if they have roots in the South or Carribean)are being use to implement that old but proven "divide and conquer strategy".Just as blacks fighting Hispanics or any other minority.We are all coming from a disadvantage place,yet we keep fighting for "the crumbs instead of our piece of pie"

Old 02-01-2010, 09:59 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:

Ok I hear what you are saying here. However, the South is more racist than the North. I can pinpoint places of the South where there are racist parts. You said, "It has also been my understanding that race relations in many southern cities are better than they are in places like Chicago and New York." Well you are incorrect. Chicago is very diversed, so how can the South be less racist than Chicago?

Ultimately, in everywhere there is racism. However the south is more racist than the north. Let us remember that the South were confederate states before. Also most of the KKK groups are located in the south if not, all.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes of course I know that.The question was more about progressive blacks.Although success often can be the same thing.My point was a response to what I have come across repeatedly from blacks from the North over the years.(Mainly North east).These are also my relatives,whose parents or Great-grandparents fled the South due to all the violence and hardship.They act as if black people are still living the lives of "Amos n Andy".As if we are "stuck" and incapable of moving forward.I find it particularly offensive when I here some blacks who move from up North or still live up North refer to cities like Atlanta a success because of all the "black people from the North who have come."They really think Atlanta would have not have been what it is without their "Northern Aggression"

They have to be reminded that through all that hardship when many of "blacks could not take it."That those who did not want to or could not leave paid a severe price so that their children did not have to live a life of depression,servitude or walk with their heads hung down.

Yes they have to be reminded that:
Madame C.J. Walker---LA-- was the FIRST black or WHITE female millionaire.
George Washington CarverMO (January 1864[1][2] – January 5, 1943), was an American scientist, botanist, educator and inventor.
Henry O.Flipper-GA-first black to graduate from West Point
Eartha Kitt-NC-Catwoman(Batman 1960's)Political activist
Nina Simone-NC
Little Richard-Macon,GA
Dr.Louis Sullivan-Born November 3, 1933 in Atlanta, Ga. Claim to Fame - A phsyician; first African American cabinet member (Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services) in President George Bush's Adminsitration; first dean and president of Morehouse School of Medicine.
Alice Walker-Eastman ,GA-Author of "The Color Purple"

The list goes on and on.I have heard on this very forum someone from NYC talk about the fact that in Atlanta (or South) "we don't have a P.Diddy,Jay-z,or a Russell Simmons."Yet they forget that the wealthiest black neighborhoods are in the South or that every black Billionaire has been from the South.NONE.

Atlanta has had a black bourgeoisie class dating back to the early 1900's.
WEB Dubois,he moved to Georgia, where he established the Department of Social Work at Atlanta University (now Clark Atlanta University Whitney M. Young school of Social Work).

Anyone interested in learning more about the old money and black middle class in the few cities that had them(such as Atlanta-Auburn Ave, Louisiana,New York Harlem,Philadelphia,and even L.A.)should read this book by Lawrence Otis Graham.
All of his books are great.Including:The Senator and the Socialite: The True Story of America's First Black Dynasty
This is the true story of America’s first black dynasty and follows three generations of a family that rose from slavery to the U.S. Senate. Born a Mississippi slave in 1841, Blanche Kelso Bruce amassed a real estate fortune and became the first black to serve a full Senate term. He married Josephine Willson, the daughter of a wealthy black doctor, and they broke racial barriers as a socialite couple in 1880s Washington. By hosting white Republicans and blacks like President Grant and Frederick Douglass, Bruce gained appointments under four Presidents, culminating with a Treasury post which placed his name on all U.S. currency.

Frankly I find the whole thing silly.It is absolutely nothing more than a "slave mentality" that these blacks from up North(regardless if they have roots in the South or Carribean)are being use to implement that old but proven "divide and conquer strategy".Just as blacks fighting Hispanics or any other minority.We are all coming from a disadvantage place,yet we keep fighting for "the crumbs instead of our piece of pie"
The slave mentality is not a good thing.

Something else I think about is that most African-Americans have resided in the South, therefore, many persons who have made it came from the South. Many African-Americans that were mentioned moved to the Northern states. Oprah moved to Chicago and lives there now. Nowadays many African-Americans are moving back to the South, although Atlanta is the main destination. I am of a different school of thought. I believe that you don't have to live in Atlanta or Charlotte to be successful. I CAN, be conservative on maybe one of two issues, but I can be liberal on many issues(and libertarian on a few issues). For me, on a political level, I question the state of Georgia and other states in the South.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Ok I hear what you are saying here. However, the South is more racist than the North. I can pinpoint places of the South where there are racist parts. You said, "It has also been my understanding that race relations in many southern cities are better than they are in places like Chicago and New York." Well you are incorrect. Chicago is very diversed, so how can the South be less racist than Chicago?

Ultimately, in everywhere there is racism. However the south is more racist than the north. Let us remember that the South were confederate states before. Also most of the KKK groups are located in the south if not, all.
This is true and that's why you have other hate groups called Skinheads, Neo-Nazis, White Nationalist and more.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post

I can guarantee you that it is not all. Let me introduce you to Indiana especially Southern Indiana. Chicago is very diverse. HOWEVER, it is also very segragated. It is interesting that you didn't bring that up. I find Houston much more integrated than Chicago. Also in the South, you will find blacks in just about every inch of the area. They are the majority in small towns well away from major urban areas and they also have a very large presence in these towns. Let's be real. The people in the North had no problem with Blacks UNLESS they lived side by side with them in their cities. In the South, Blacks and Whites could live amongst each other because they had no choice.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:51 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:

Truer words were never spoken about current race relations. For one, the "big bad Southern rednecks who are racist" really have no potency over their hatred and ramblings. Most of them are just sitting in their trailers rotting away and living crappy lives anyway. In the Bos-Wash Northeast corridor, It's the nouveau-riche whites and their preppy/yuppie offspring who I find to be the most racist, along with the "model minorities" (Asian & South Indian) who too obsessed to assimilating (usually to the preppy/yuppie culture), and "middle-minorities" (i.e. Latinos & Middle Easterners) who are obsessed with not assimilating at all. These are the individuals who hold the power, high-paying jobs, and decisions in the region I'm in, and from my experience, they pretend to live as if all blacks are just plantation-minded ghetto jiggaboos, and intelligent and normal blacks don't exist. At least from my experience, the homogeneous Midwest whites and people from rural/small town parts of Northeastern states at least take time to tell the difference between non-stereotypical normal blacks and stereotypical ghetto trash blacks (except most people from racially segregated Chicago). They may be politically incorrect, but at least treat assimilated and respectable blacks like Obama, Powell, and Oprah with respect. This is definitely not the case with "BosWash Northeastern non-black person."

For example, the ever-so-transitioning Washington DC Area. Even though DC gets people from around the world, most of the transplants to DC are from the Northeastern major cities (Philly, NYC, Boston). And every single year, I notice that the whites in the area, specifically DC and Maryland (and other non-black minorities) are becoming more snooty and racist, no matter which age they are. And of course, it's all in a covert fashion. And since the Maryland suburbs are considered part of the "North," or at least not as Southern as Virginia, many NYC, Philly, and Boston transplants reside in the MD suburbs more than the VA suburbs. And BTW, native Marylanders aren't that impressive neither on the way most of them (black, white, Latino, or Asian) treat people of other racial groups, especially the treatment of blacks. Compare this to the VA suburbs where transplants from the South are more likely to relocate to. All I've noticed through the years is more racial diversity and integration, not just between black and white, but between people of all races. And unlike in Maryland where white males seem to have the first (if not exclusive) choice of dating whoever they want while most black males are socially excluded and discouraged from IR dating, it's fair game in the Northern VA suburbs. Although I will admit that Arlington County (right across the river from DC) has somewhat of the elitist borderline-racist attitude I've seen more than enough of in DC and MD, it dies down the most westward one goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.