Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,145,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
When you talk about the Midwest, the most racist part is the eastern lower Midwest, i.e., states like Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and even southern Michigan (although MI is NOT THAT BAD). There is very little racism in states like Wisconsin, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas.

Also, the Midwest is not nearly as racist as the South. I don't consider Southern Indiana to be the Midwest, it has many more affinities with the South.
It does depend where in the Midwest. Minneapolis is supposedly the third best city for interracial dating/couples, behind San Francisco and Seattle being #1 and #2.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 02-07-2010 at 01:38 AM..

Old 02-07-2010, 08:26 AM

7,704 posts, read 12,543,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm a young black male living in Southern California. It seems like everyone I've known or grew up with has moved to the old school South. Now my views about the South isn't positive, just anywhere outside the West. It would be cool if all my old friends returned to LA. Be like old times.

What is it about the South that attracts blacks and probably other Americans to the region?
I wouldn't move South if I were you. You are very privileged to be living in a place where your not ostracized by peers because of your race and the way you speak and act. Living in Texas and Florida, I have dealt with that time and time again. Unless you grew up there, I would not be so keen on the idea that it is a "hotspot" for African-Americans. Most likely, all your friends just moved to the south for college or because they purchased a home like alot of So.Cal Natives i've met.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 AM

749 posts, read 2,426,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
When you talk about the Midwest, the most racist part is the eastern lower Midwest, i.e., states like Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and even southern Michigan (although MI is NOT THAT BAD). There is very little racism in states like Wisconsin, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas.

Also, the Midwest is not nearly as racist as the South. I don't consider Southern Indiana to be the Midwest, it has many more affinities with the South.

Ha ha .....I know better because I've spent a lot of time in both places. I would listen to a CB radio in my car and I could not believe what I was hearing in Grand Rapids, MI. At least 3 racial slurs per sentence. It was a rare occasion in the South to hear any of that. (keep in mind a lot of CB users are home based so you just can't blame it on the truckers).

Also in FL take a look at the workforce of city and county employees.......overwhelmingly black. I can't recall one instance of seeing a black city or county worker in a non -administrative position in MI's small to medium size towns.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I wouldn't move South if I were you. You are very privileged to be living in a place where your not ostracized by peers because of your race and the way you speak and act.
Yeah because this doesn't happen in other places in abundance throughout the country.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
It does depend where in the Midwest. Minneapolis is supposedly the third best city for interracial dating/couples, behind San Francisco and Seattle being #1 and #2.
Columbus,OH is among those cities as well. In fact, of the top 10 cities that were considered the great ones for interracial dating/couples, none of them are in the South.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:18 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,905,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah because this doesn't happen in other places in abundance throughout the country.
Good point. This happens a lot in the Northeast and Great Lakes/Eastern Midwest too.

I think we've covered all of the regions where blacks are overly ostracized.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:00 PM

92,036 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Columbus Ohio is up there in that regard too. So, it does depend on where you are in the Midwest.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Columbus,OH is among those cities as well. In fact, of the top 10 cities that were considered the great ones for interracial dating/couples, none of them are in the South.
Oops, didn't see this post, but you are correct. Many of the Big 10 college towns seem to be good about. Ironically, Ann Arbor MI is definitely one of them.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's kind of hard for half those places in the Midwest to be racist when they barely have any blacks (Iowa, Wyoming, The Dakotas, Minnesota,etc)
I was thinking the same thing, but even those states have some history that show otherwise. Here's one example: Duluth lynchings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No matter what you consider what place could be. Southern Indiana is still the Midwest. Whether you like it or care about it or not.
A story on Sountern Indiana I know about was that my wife's grandmother and her husband had to move to a community about 20 minutes west of Evansville because their jobs were moving there. She told me that the American Legion there supposedly wouldn't allow Blacks in. This was in the late 80's-early 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.