Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 07:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,354,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
The West is more of the destination for blacks who are more culturally and socially integrated into the "mainstream" American culture and/or blacks who are (or feel like they are) excluded from the general "black community." The South is more for blacks who have felt welcomed into the "black community" for all of their lives.
In either case, either regions are much better for nearly all blacks than the urbanized BosWash Northeast and most parts of the Midwest.
I fall into the "mainstream American culture" category, and I've had no problems with the Midwest. In fact, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else (except Alaska). Not all of the Midwest is like southern Ohio and Indiana.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,354,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Nah, you can keep the hypocritical racists. Let me know where you stand from the get go. You'll get that much more respect from me. Furthermore, calling me the "n" word is one thing. I can just shrug that off. But denying me a job or an opportunity solely due to my race, which is the type of racism you seem to prefer, does more actual damage.

Aren't you Black?
I'll take the covert "I'm-not-racist-but" type over the in-your-face KKK types any day. To each his own.

Yes, I am black, among other ethnicities. The "racism" I'm talking about that is more prevalent among blacks is the intolerance given to people who do not fit the typical black cultural mode, and don't not espouse the ideas and beliefs of the "black community." People who don't fit the stereotypes are called "oreos" or "Uncle Toms," and are said to "act white" or "talk white" or "dress white." I've experienced that type of intolerance my whole life.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:59 PM

725 posts, read 1,503,717 times
^^^^^
Yeah I feel ya, but those that are honest with there opinions and believe in what they believe in are more likely to be challenged and have to confront those feelings and they are more likely to change than those that conceal it.

For me I like to know where the snakes are... either way they are harmless to me. I am more concerned that they don't hold that hate inside... what for?

As for the rest that's unfortunate

Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,905,959 times
Quote:
The West is more of the destination for blacks who are more culturally and socially integrated into the "mainstream" American culture and/or blacks who are (or feel like they are) excluded from the general "black community." The South is more for blacks who have felt welcomed into the "black community" for all of their lives.
Who in the world told you this nonsense?

Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,905,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
The "racism" I'm talking about that is more prevalent among blacks is the intolerance given to people who do not fit the typical black cultural mode, and don't not espouse the ideas and beliefs of the "black community." People who don't fit the stereotypes are called "oreos" or "Uncle Toms," and are said to "act white" or "talk white" or "dress white." I've experienced that type of intolerance my whole life.
That's not racism. That's people picking on you for your likes. My suggestion if you are an adult, don't spend time around people like that. If you are kid, ignore them.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:32 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,024,466 times
Quote:

In either case, either regions are much better for nearly all blacks than the urbanized BosWash Northeast and most parts of the Midwest.
A drink to that.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,721,268 times
Quote:
No,this is not true.(Not in my case).I grew up mainly in the South and as an adult have lived all over.Yet most of the people I seem to get along with the most are either white southerners(except the overly religious ones,which in any case that's true for blacks too).If you look at the fabric of Atlanta,you actually will see Blacks are well represented in ALL segments of society.AS another poster said;"to claim you cannot get a job cause you are black is nonsense if you live in Atlanta"

Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 AM

148 posts, read 549,500 times
Blacks in the south are more racist . More keeping the racist going too. Moved to the south 4 years ago As a out sider just sitting back watching. Not all blacks use the race card. but, if a white person claim racist they just laugh. We belong to one race thats human race. People need to get over the civil war era and get with the 21 st century. It is history. Not all blacks not all whites are racist. Nor Hispianics . It is mostly the people who want to cause trouble for others who keep throwing up racist. Those white have the KKK The blacks have the Black panthers .Those who dislike other "races" bully those who get along with other "races" claiming they are traders to their race if they do not agree with them or look out for their own race. It is nice to learn other culture But, don`t hate a person because of the skin color. I grew up in the 60`s My best friend was black . My cousin is Korean My great great great grandfather was NativeAmerican My sister in law is Black . Her two children from her first marriage are the joyof this Aunts life and I have Cez, Irish, German, Scotts, Austrua, Hispanic in my family bloodline So the community I belong to is the ( Human Race) So, when someone uses that racist crapp I look at them and tell them your ignorant

Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 AM

47 posts, read 99,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Interesting comment. Why is the Northeast the best place for black people?

I guess I don't view the South as progressive...at least not politically. We can always count on that region of the country to vote the way the klan does, for the Conservative agenda. This despite so much black presence.

For your info MLK was a Republican i.e. conservative & so was Lincoln if you want to know the true roots of the klan it was democrats who helped create the ugly kkk.

You are right on the south voting for democrats back in the day but now it's diverse & it can be anyone's ball game in the political realm.

cites: African American History I & II & American History I & II

Last edited by lizzy1981; 02-16-2010 at 05:36 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 06:59 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,721,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
Blacks in the south are more racist . More keeping the racist going too. Moved to the south 4 years ago As a out sider just sitting back watching. Not all blacks use the race card. but, if a white person claim racist they just laugh. We belong to one race thats human race. People need to get over the civil war era and get with the 21 st century. It is history. Not all blacks not all whites are racist. Nor Hispianics . It is mostly the people who want to cause trouble for others who keep throwing up racist. Those white have the KKK The blacks have the Black panthers .Those who dislike other "races" bully those who get along with other "races" claiming they are traders to their race if they do not agree with them or look out for their own race. It is nice to learn other culture But, don`t hate a person because of the skin color. I grew up in the 60`s My best friend was black . My cousin is Korean My great great great grandfather was NativeAmerican My sister in law is Black . Her two children from her first marriage are the joyof this Aunts life and I have Cez, Irish, German, Scotts, Austrua, Hispanic in my family bloodline So the community I belong to is the ( Human Race) So, when someone uses that racist crapp I look at them and tell them your ignorant
I agree with the unity bit,but I gotta say its easier for you to speculate without always being a party what is going on when you are not the target.Racist and prejudice are 2 different things.Racist is a belief put to action by some one who is able to have the power to do so.Im not saying there are not black people who do not have negative views towards other races but it usually there is no way they are able to cause the same effects other than verbal.

For example:The KKK as you mentioned in much of the South had the support of the community and the police.In fact in most cases,many of these KKK members were the community and the law.The fact that you would equivocate the KKK to the Black Panthers is part of the problem as to why some blacks feel white people do not want to account for racist behaviour of the past and present.Looking for a scapegoat.Where have you EVER read of an incident that involved the BLACK Panthers attacking,raping,lynching and burning property of innocent white people?I admit the Black Panther party was radical,but it was out of self defence that the Black Panther Party came to be.
J.Edgar Hoover(The head of the FBI) detested King.He did everything in his power to discredit him.Illegally wire tapping his home.When was the last time a black person had that kind of power to do that and actually had the nerve to use it?This is called "institutional racism".This is not some long forgotten time during the Civil War.Many people are alive today(as you are)

Many of the blacks you claim are racist in the South probably seem that way because they have money and are empowered not to accept what they once had too.That thinking is also flawed because many blacks(especially if you live in the city)are not even from the South,but the entire African Diaspora.Im sure if you had said these things to me in person perhaps I would not been as friendly as well.

So yes I agree that we are all human,I also believe we need to move forward.This is America and in spite of racism,everyone can still make it.To be black and use that as an excuse is disingenuous.However using it just as a "happen stance" is not unjustified to acknowledge it for what it is.
What I have noticed,(sittin back and watching),That typically whites that are educated,open minded,and usually well travelled,tend to be more aware of the nuances of race in America and typically avoid using generalizations or stereotypes hoping to avoid simplifying such a complex matter such as race.The civil war has nothing to do with why there was Jim Crow Segrgation in which my parents had to endure.The civil war had nothing to do with why I lost my Grandfather at the age of 5 in the early 1970's at the hands of 3 racist white men that only served 3years in jail after countless appeals and almost 6 years(1979)time gone by.AM I using the race card if I make reference of these terrible circumstances in my life just to make certain people feel more comfortable?

It takes more just to be able to say you are not racist because you have relatives that are multi-racial/ethnic.Indeed you may not be racist,but you do have prejudices.That is you are ignorant and naive to the struggles of people who are unfortunately not able to blend into the "mainstream".Your knowledge is limited,yet you make so called informed opinions.That is almost as dangerous as the people who actually are racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.