Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 08:06 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Also please let us keep in mind that Puerto Ricans are not immigrant. Even those that are born in Puerto Rico, because PR is part of the US.
True...I meant in the context of going to NYC.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,905,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
What I would like to say to you is this: How about who cares? Anywhere you go there will be racist people and racist black people. If you want these kind of people to go away, be the change you want to see.
You know what...

That's just what I needed to hear.

Thank you. And thanks to the others who gave some advice.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:21 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,127,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
It's 2009! You Yankees act like it's still Reconstruction down here. I'm so sick of going to every forum and seeing people run down the South as the ultimate redneck landfill representing everything bad in America. The South did NOT invent racism and you will hear racial slurs from Northern, Midwestern, and even New England accents. (Even though most people on this forum seem to believe New England is something approaching a perfect utopia) There are plently of progressive Southerners. Bill Clinton, Al Gore? Ever heard of them? And most Southerners don't view the Confederate flag as a racist symbol at all. It is merely a symbol of our region and heritage. I have one hanging in my cabin, and I voted for Barack Obama. Yes, of course there are racist people in the South, just like everywhere else on planet earth, but don't characterize an entire culture based on a few bad apples.
Yeah tell me about. They are making it seem as if racism only exists in the South. It's no more there than there is north.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,409,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
What I see in many majority African-American areas is lack of flexibility, especially when it comes to taste in music and even fashion. Even in majority middle class and upper middle class black neighborhoods I'm familiar with, the dress code, slang, and music taste is identical to what you hear if you were in the hood. The same rap and rnb crowd. Don't get me wrong, I listen to a lot of Rap and RnB, but I like to switch it up a bit and listen to other genres too.
To be fair, it's a very small percentage of white people that do their own thing in terms of music and fashion as well!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Even in majority middle class and upper middle class black neighborhoods I'm familiar with, the dress code, slang, and music taste is identical to what you hear if you were in the hood. The same rap and rnb crowd. Don't get me wrong, I listen to a lot of Rap and RnB, but I like to switch it up a bit and listen to other genres too.
If you haven't noticed, a lot of other genres, particularly rock, are being incorporated in hip hop, R&B, and even Gospel.

Quote:
And also, I personally wish there were more secular/atheist blacks in the black community. I think there are too many churches in predominately black neighborhoods. Beside myself, I don't know another black person who is secular or atheist and outside the internet.
"Too many churches"? What is "too many"? Maybe you're unaware of the role that the church has played in the history of Black America, but you can attribute many of the freedoms you now enjoy in society to the role and nurturing influence that the Black church has historically had on our communities and in society as a whole.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:50 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
If you haven't noticed, a lot of other genres, particularly rock, are being incorporated in hip hop, R&B, and even Gospel.

"Too many churches"? What is "too many"? Maybe you're unaware of the role that the church has played in the history of Black America, but you can attribute many of the freedoms you now enjoy in society to the role and nurturing influence that the Black church has historically had on our communities and in society as a whole.
Yeah and I don't see how having more secular/atheist blacks will enchance the black population in any type of way. Relgious blacks are just as worldy and sucessful; I wish more people would quit relating religious to the word close-minded.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:16 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
I agree with the last two posts. Why are people so quick to associate religion and close-mindedness, when in fact there are many aspects in which Christ showed examples of open-mindedness. So, I agree that people need to stop with that nonsense.

Also, like akhenation stated, many historically Black music genres do incorporate Rock into their music and vice versa. Then, you got Black folks like Darius Rucker, Cleve Francis, Rissi Palmer and Cowboy Troy, that do Country music, among some others. So, I think Black folks should not short change themselves in terms of knowledge of what we are invovled in. It's called research.......

Old 02-27-2010, 07:30 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,938,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree with the last two posts. Why are people so quick to associate religion and close-mindedness, when in fact there are many aspects in which Christ showed examples of open-mindedness. So, I agree that people need to stop with that nonsense.
Another example of people who pride themselves on being "open minded" and "thinking for themselves" being just as rigid in their thinking as the Christians they regularly criticize. It's really comical.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,145,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

I am aware of that. MLK and Malcolm X were big on religion. I personally think there are too many churches/houses of worship. In many predominately black areas, there are around 10-15 churches within a mile radius. Some only a block away from one another. I just like to see more secular/atheist blacks around my way.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:57 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,623,678 times
Quote:
I am aware of that. MLK and Malcolm X were big on religion. I personally think there are too many churches/houses of worship. In many predominately black areas, there are around 10-15 churches within a mile radius. Some only a block away from one another. I just like to see more secular/atheist blacks around my way.
One of the most difficult things for the modern American liberal to stomach is the fact that most minorities are more socially conservative than whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.