Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 07:02 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,759,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
If you haven't noticed, a lot of other genres, particularly rock, are being incorporated in hip hop, R&B, and even Gospel.

"Too many churches"? What is "too many"? Maybe you're unaware of the role that the church has played in the history of Black America, but you can attribute many of the freedoms you now enjoy in society to the role and nurturing influence that the Black church has historically had on our communities and in society as a whole.
I have always wondered why there are no nation of islam mosques in the countryside in the south. Anyone can tell me why b/c I'm curious.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
It sounds about right to me. Ask about any black professional and they all are familiar with being told they are "trying to be white". Ask a black guy who likes rock music or classical music or who prefers doing math instead of playing basketball.
Regarding the comparisons between blacks from the south vs the north,some things are more pronounced in the south,such as the trying to be white thing. Also,for some strange reason,a lot of blacks in the south are envious of me because I'm middle class. Its seems (the bucket of crabs syndrome)like its way more prevelant in the south than the north.these so called church people will make up lies to bring u down to their level. Also,I noticed blacks in the south are a lot less tolerant than in the north. For instance,I wear an afro and have a muslim name. Everyone looks at me like I came from outer space and scoff when they hear my name.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I have always wondered why there are no nation of islam mosques in the countryside in the south. Anyone can tell me why b/c I'm curious.
Good question...I think it is because the NOI started in an urban setting and the group was one that was created due to the condition of Black folks in such environments, particularly in the North.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM

I've noticed that there are different types of racism in different regions. For example,in the north I hear white people say that we should go to school and better ourselves, if you have an equal or more education than them they welcome you and encourage you. However,in the south I hear from white people the opposite,that we have gone too far and they resent you for having a better education than them. So in essence white people from the north resent the fact we haven't attained higher education while in the south they resent us for it.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good question...I think it is because the NOI started in an urban setting and the group was one that was created due to the condition of Black folks in such environments, particularly in the North.
But,conditions in the south were worse,so why don't black country folk from the south join? Or rather,how come they never took root in the south? Would it not have helped southern blacks more?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 PM

965 posts, read 1,874,364 times
Quote:
I've noticed that there are different types of racism in different regions. For example,in the north I hear white people say that we should go to school and better ourselves, if you have an equal or more education than them they welcome you and encourage you. However,in the south I hear from white people the opposite,that we have gone too far and they resent you for having a better education than them. So in essence white people from the north resent the fact we haven't attained higher education while in the south they resent us for it.

Whites in the South are generally VERY resentful of Blacks who seek educational attainment. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that from when I was doing my time down South. When people found out I was obtaining my Master's degree, they would say some of the most ignorant things, I guess trying to put me in my place... Basically, no matter how much education you attain or economic level you aspire to reach, you're still just a "n****r" to them

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 02-28-2010 at 08:05 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
But,conditions in the south were worse,so why don't black country folk from the south join? Or rather,how come they never took root in the south? Would it not have helped southern blacks more?
I think it is just a thing of "there are different ways to skin a cat", per se. Meaning, the mode of faith that is used in the South by Blacks there could be the way they get by and to help overcome what was going on there. Even in the North, it's not like everyone is in the NOI or use that faith based institution to combat the social issues of the day for those in the Black community.

Just look at the time of the Civil Rights Movement and see where many of the leaders were from. What you will also find is that most were Southern, educated mainly from HBCUs and were Christian. So, there are different ways to use your faith to combat real issues in society.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The south is where it all started for the African Americans.
It wasn't a good start, but they still have the most African Americans more so than any other region which everyone should already know.

I know a guy who has wanted to go down south for the longest time because he likes the whole lifestyle there that portrays a more classic view of African Americans (the north is much too diverse, while the south is mainly black/white). The price tag could be another reason though.
What is meant by "more classic?

Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,145,451 times
Quote:

There is an old saying and it goes something like this: In the North you can climb up the ladder and have more money than whites, but don't live too close. In the south, you can live in the same area, but don't be more successful. I'm not sure the south ever had white flight on a large scale. In the Midwest in cities like Chicago and Detroit, blacks who made it to the middle class try to move in white neighborhoods only to see whites leaving like it was a hurricane coming through. When my grandparents moved to the suburbs of Chicago in the 60s, they literally seen white families on the block packing up their bags and leaving overnight.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 02-28-2010 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 08:10 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
Quote:
The NOI in its heyday seems to have been mostly an urban Northern phenomena, as in that time they wouldn't have been well-received by Southern whites, I'm sure. But I doubt Southern blacks would have received them all that well either. Rural blacks in the South are overwhelmingly traditionally Christian and have a long history of organizing for civil rights in their communities using their own churches as a base. Now there are mosques in some of the cities. I know Houston has a NOI presence, though their impact is negligible among blacks there overall. From what I've seen in recent times, the NOI is a fringe group that mostly appeals to the formerly incarcerated and other marginalized blacks, and perhaps some curious college students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.