Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:26 AM

102 posts, read 308,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Well, one thing I've noticed from living in the Northeast, especially as an African-American, is that to a certain extent, people in this region talk about race and race-class interaction and people in the South live it
I couldn't have put it better myself. Living in the DMV we always discussed racial issues in school, whether it be history class or English class after reading books like Huckleberry Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Langston Hughes. But nobody in any of my classes had actually experienced anything like that in those books.

Fast foward to me moving to the South and I am actually meeting people who have the same ideologies as people in those books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
If we're talking about the small towns/rural areas then yes, the South is a lot less progressive racially.

However, if we're talking about the major cities, and since Atlanta is the city mentioned, then it's definitely not fair to make blanket statements about the north being more racially progressive than the south. For all the people I've heard talk Boston up as some type of progressive utopia, my parents (black and latino) experienced decidedly more race-based nastiness up there than any of the other places they've lived, and a friend of ours who went to Harvard Law immediately left for DC, because he saw barely any black people of status up there. I'd say Boston has at least as many, if not more, racial issues than places like Atlanta, Charlotte or Louisville. And let's not forget Howard Beach and Bensonhurst in NYC.
I don't know too much about Boston but I'd guess it would be the exception. Didn't Boston have school integration issues worse than Little Rock? And also, remember the guy who killed his wife and said a black guy did it? Followed by malicious police harassment in the city's black neighborhoods for the next few days/weeks. Thats what comes to mind when I think about Boston.

-Scalpy

Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
If we're talking about the small towns/rural areas then yes, the South is a lot less progressive racially.
Well I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison since Blacks in rural areas of the South (outside of the foothills/mountains) are a common occurrence whereas they're not in other areas of the country.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,400,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
"Insulting and unjust"? I guess that depends on whether you are a conservative in denial. Unfortunately for this country, "conservative" is synonymous with "racist", and the conservative agenda has more in common with the klan ideology than it does not. Conservatives have more than an "unfortunate history", they have a SHAMEFUL history of supreme ignorance in this regard.

I don't trust a region of the country that is always painted red even when the conservative party has shown itself to be an utter failure and a detriment to this county over the previous 8 years. Painted red even when their candidate is vastly inferior to opposition candidate. Painted red because an educated black man is running and I've heard some say that they "can't never vote for no black man." Shameful.
Alexus, you're a one-trick pony.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:04 PM

925 posts, read 2,597,055 times
They want to be around a lot of blacks, and the South has tons of blacks.

Perfectly understandable, as it is for whites to want to be around other whites, but some people get all up in arms about whites wanting to look out for their group interests, or wanting to be around their own. Talk about insane thinking.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Interesting comment. Why is the Northeast the best place for black people?

I guess I don't view the South as progressive...at least not politically. We can always count on that region of the country to vote the way the klan does, for the Conservative agenda. This despite so much black presence.
Please expound, providing evidence that prove what you say is the truth.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is a broad and rather unfair maligning of a large swath of America.

I really doubt the Klan wants people like Joseph Cao and Bobby Jindahl in office, but conservatives did. Even Sarah Palin I doubt fit the Klan ideal of women, which traditionally tends to be domestic and submissive. It was also a conservative woman, Elizabeth Rickey, who maybe did the most to expose and derail David Duke.

There is an unfortunate history of racism and segregationism in the conservative movement, but to say it "votes the way the Klan does" is insulting and unjust.
What's to "expose" about Dr. Duke? He was in the klan over thirty years ago, and it wasn't a violent chapter of the klan. If you've ever listened to the man, he makes it apparent that all peoples should have the right to look after their own collective interests, a far cry from some politicians who argue that some races, namely non-white, should have advantages over whites.

I'm sure that you must be proud of yourself, buffing up about "exposing" Dr. Duke, a man who has more cajones than the politically correct brainwashed masses.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 PM

404 posts, read 1,090,197 times
What attracts LA African Americans to the south....? This will be unpopular, but I don't care.

Imagine the most dangerous parts of LA. Now imagine that those people moved to the south eastern 1/4th of the country and setup a city every 100 miles emulating it. That's the south. Full of the most dangerous, crappy cities in America. There has been some gentrification, but pretty much every southern city beginning at Richmond is total crap.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:43 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
What attracts LA African Americans to the south....? This will be unpopular, but I don't care.

Imagine the most dangerous parts of LA. Now imagine that those people moved to the south eastern 1/4th of the country and setup a city every 100 miles emulating it. That's the south. Full of the most dangerous, crappy cities in America. There has been some gentrification, but pretty much every southern city beginning at Richmond is total crap.
It's not unpopular...try untrue.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,452,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
What's to "expose" about Dr. Duke?
Holocaust denial, white separatism, etc. Those were ongoing when Rickey did it and are now. She was a woman who died in poverty and obscurity after a life largely of helping people.

Also Duke's "Doctorate" is from a private university in the Ukraine that's been called "one of the most persistent anti-Semitic institutions in Eastern Europe" by the US State Department pre-Obama.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:38 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,820,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
They want to be around a lot of blacks, and the South has tons of blacks.

Perfectly understandable, as it is for whites to want to be around other whites, but some people get all up in arms about whites wanting to look out for their group interests, or wanting to be around their own. Talk about insane thinking.
That's not the same thing.

Seriously, unless they live in a place like Detroit or inner DC, when would white people ever have to "look out" for other white people?

blacks, on the other hand can find themselves in cities where there's practically no trace of black culture. All the way to the point where they can't even find hair products or a decent salon/barber shop in the city they live. White people never have to deal with anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.