Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 AM

265 posts, read 327,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
The lower cost of living and job opportunities has to be the only reason.
Another reason is historical; the South is the ancestral homeland of African Americans. So for some of us, the reverse migration is "coming home" in a sense.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:12 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,637,612 times
Even though I am not from the South.....when I go South I feel like I am at home. Stranger yet.....when I go to Africa I feel like I am at home as well. Its kind of like I was "adopted" by the North but my real folks are the South and Africa are my Grand Parents. However, I still love my adopted folks because its all I basically know. I lived in Atlanta for a bit and liked it. However, I just like the North (except I hate winters here). The South to me is new and shiney and attracts a lot of people. However, when the shine wears off its not going to be that attractive. There are two stages were things have the most value. When they are brand new......and when they are old classics. After the South stops being brand new....its going to be in the less valued stage while the older North will go up in value for its "classic" appeal.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Even though I am not from the South.....when I go South I feel like I am at home. Stranger yet.....when I go to Africa I feel like I am at home as well. Its kind of like I was "adopted" by the North but my real folks are the South and Africa are my Grand Parents. However, I still love my adopted folks because its all I basically know. I lived in Atlanta for a bit and liked it. However, I just like the North (except I hate winters here). The South to me is new and shiney and attracts a lot of people. However, when the shine wears off its not going to be that attractive. There are two stages were things have the most value. When they are brand new......and when they are old classics. After the South stops being brand new....its going to be in the less valued stage while the older North will go up in value for its "classic" appeal.
Everything in the North hasn't exactly aged gracefully, if you haven't noticed.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:41 PM

711 posts, read 1,137,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Another reason is historical; the South is the ancestral homeland of African Americans. So for some of us, the reverse migration is "coming home" in a sense.
Yup.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
It depends on where you are in the North.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
The North allowed its inner cities to decay while it created a lot of new stuff in the suburbs and those suburbs are now in the stage of they shine being gone and now people are refurbishing a lot of old abandoned warehouses, homes and building that were there before the automobile explosion.

Like I said.....I like the south a lot.....but I like being up North more. I liked the south for the immediate constrast coming from the North. However, after awhile the contrast just became a memory and I started noticing more things that I don't like. Its kind of like dating. You date one person for a long time and things kind of get boring like after you chew the same peice of gum for awhile. In order to get that suger high again, you got to pop in a new piece to get that high again.....but then after that suger is gone....you start noticing that the previous stick you had was better after the sugar was gone than the new stick of gum after the sugar was gone. That is just how it was for me. Once you take away all the newness, the shine and the sugar.....which always happens, then you can best judge what is best for you.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The North allowed its inner cities to decay while it created a lot of new stuff in the suburbs and those suburbs are now in the stage of they shine being gone and now people are refurbishing a lot of old abandoned warehouses, homes and building that were there before the automobile explosion.

Like I said.....I like the south a lot.....but I like being up North more. I liked the south for the immediate constrast coming from the North. However, after awhile the contrast just became a memory and I started noticing more things that I don't like. Its kind of like dating. You date one person for a long time and things kind of get boring like after you chew the same peice of gum for awhile. In order to get that suger high again, you got to pop in a new piece to get that high again.....but then after that suger is gone....you start noticing that the previous stick you had was better after the sugar was gone than the new stick of gum after the sugar was gone. That is just how it was for me. Once you take away all the newness, the shine and the sugar.....which always happens, then you can best judge what is best for you.
I just like how I feel like I'm a part of the rise of the South (my city in particular). I'm seeing it become major before my very eyes. Of course there are benefits to living in a city that's already been established for some time, but I also like being at the opposite end and knowing that in some small way, I'm doing my part in helping to shape the region's and my city's future. And even if one wants a city that's more mature with less "shine and sugar," we've got our older urban centers here in the South too, of the larger and smaller variety.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM

314 posts, read 756,282 times
Quote:
Last time I checked Africa is the historical home of AAs ancestors...The Amerikkkan South is among the places European criminals our ancestors they kidnapped and held them in bondage..

Last edited by brother's keeper; 02-05-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I just like how I feel like I'm a part of the rise of the South (my city in particular). I'm seeing it become major before my very eyes. Of course there are benefits to living in a city that's already been established for some time, but I also like being at the opposite end and knowing that in some small way, I'm doing my part in helping to shape the region's and my city's future. And even if one wants a city that's more mature with less "shine and sugar," we've got our older urban centers here in the South too, of the larger and smaller variety.
Yeah....I can dig it. Who knows.....I may one day end up living in the South. The bottom line is that, first and foremost, its economic opportunity. If everywhere has the same opportunities then I would stay North....however if forced by economics I would move South and would be happy. Wherever you are you have decide to make yourself happy and not be dependent upon a place to make you happy.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-05-2011 at 08:41 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Last time I checked Africa is the historical home of AAs ancestors...The Amerikkkan South is among the places European criminals our ancestors they kidnapped and held them in bondage..
Actually I thought Africa was the birthplace of ALL mankind?
Africa is a continent.What country(pre-colonial),customs, region,or tribal affiliation from which do you come?Do you know?I dont?I just started tracing my family history on both sides and I can tell you with my grandmothers great grandfather because he was probably white and on the other side my great grandfather was full blooded Choctaw dating back to around 1860.From what I understand is that more than half of blacks in this country are in the same boat.

Way I see it.They(my white ancestors)never intended for blacks to be more than what they were as slaves.Now through blood ,sweat and tears we have claimed what is rightfully ours and i see that work is still not done.Ill never forget that this my home now.It will be the home of my children.Either we work with each other to make it better or we all perish.If that happens then we deserve what we get.Let it be a lesson for people who come after us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.