Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM

92,032 posts, read 122,173,887 times

Advertisements

Like I've stated before on this topic, I can understand why many Black folks move to the South. As a person just a generation removed from the South, it's not like I would be so far removed from the region.

As for the North, what people forget is that many whites in the NE and MW are only 3-5 generations separated from their jome of origin. So, attitudes might vary due to timing.

People also forget that Blacks have deep roots in the NE, including slavery. For instance, Crispus Attucks was born into slavery in MA and helped to spark the American Revolution at the Boston Massacre. Sojourner Truth was borm into slavery in NY. NY slave built the wall for the Dutch when it was New Amsterdam and that's where Wall Street gets it's name from. Paul Cuffee was born in MA in 1759 and was a businessman, abolitionist and patriot. Slavery in NY didn't end until 1827. So, there are Black folks with deep roots in the NE.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:08 PM

314 posts, read 756,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
have gave you my answer to everything you brought up.Have you.NO.My feelings did not get hurt but what i would like to know how "Brother Keeper" is keeping his brothers?You are very accusatory but yet you cant answer your own reason you pt others down.3 or 4 pages later its still the same.You have no self esteem or motivation but deter others in th life they live.Yet what ARE YOU doing?
All talk and bravado,typical makings of a hypocrite.If I am all that you say am then there is nothing let to say to you.We disagree.Yet someone so deep and dedicated in the struggle has absolutely NO words of wisdom?

Oh I get it you just another DICtator .You DICtate but never follow.Your plans are for you only.Ok I give up and I submit to YOUR devine knowledge and leadership.Ok so now.So where do we start Mr.Omar Al-bashir? Or can you do that without more insults?
Sure your feeling weren't hurt..I guess that's why you snitched to the Mods and had my answers to your inquiries removed

No i'm an strong and proud blackman whom took offense to your spreading misinformation about my people, making us look weak and Toming in general.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Like I've stated before on this topic, I can understand why many Black folks move to the South. As a person just a generation removed from the South, it's not like I would be so far removed from the region.

As for the North, what people forget is that many whites in the NE and MW are only 3-5 generations separated from their jome of origin. So, attitudes might vary due to timing.

People also forget that Blacks have deep roots in the NE, including slavery. For instance, Crispus Attucks was born into slavery in MA and helped to spark the American Revolution at the Boston Massacre. Sojourner Truth was borm into slavery in NY. NY slave built the wall for the Dutch when it was New Amsterdam and that's where Wall Street gets it's name from. Paul Cuffee was born in MA in 1759 and was a businessman, abolitionist and patriot. Slavery in NY didn't end until 1827. So, there are Black folks with deep roots in the NE.
All that said..No place ion this continent is our ancestral home or a place we should be attached to for that matter.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,941,177 times
Whatever. In a general sense, whatever. I am an nth generation white southerner, and also one who appreciates the struggles that blacks have had in the South. I am also one who lives here now, and was raised by southern parents, in the South. Things are very different here than they once were. We live together, work together, and play together like nowhere else in the nation. Most of the old school train of thought is gone. There is nowhere else in the United States where whites and blacks coexist together in the numbers that we do here. You can continue to keep your antiquated view of race relations in the south if you wish, but it is counterfactual. I welcome anyone of any race who chooses to call this great part of the country home.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
All that said..No place ion this continent is our ancestral home or a place we should be attached to for that matter.
History is what it is, and it's not subject to contemporary morality in the case of location. If you were born in Georgia, to me, you are from Georgia. People can choose to be loyal to homes more distant, but I, for one, will not fault someone for a loyalty to what they know. I am a proud Georgian, and am prouder of native son Martin Luther King than I am The Allman Brothers Band, no matter the country of origin of either of their earliest ancestors.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,905,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Whatever. In a general sense, whatever. I am an nth generation white southerner, and also one who appreciates the struggles that blacks have had in the South. I am also one who lives here now, and was raised by southern parents, in the South. Things are very different here than they once were. We live together, work together, and play together like nowhere else in the nation. Most of the old school train of thought is gone. There is nowhere else in the United States where whites and blacks coexist together in the numbers that we do here. You can continue to keep your antiquated view of race relations in the south if you wish, but it is counterfactual. I welcome anyone of any race who chooses to call this great part of the country home.
That's all good, but to be blunt, do blacks and whites date together, live together (in the same houses), and "sleep" together. At this point, those are the measuring sticks of progress in the South. And to be blunt again, I have only really seen those things on the rise in Texas, North Carolina, and Virginia (and I'm not just counting NoVA), nor I am counting South Florida neither.

I know I sound like a buzz-killer, but I'd love to give the South a chance, Only thing is it needs to prove itself! But if it makes you feel any better, the North/Midwest isn't that much better in current comparison.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
History is what it is, and it's not subject to contemporary morality in the case of location. If you were born in Georgia, to me, you are from Georgia. People can choose to be loyal to homes more distant, but I, for one, will not fault someone for a loyalty to what they know. I am a proud Georgian, and am prouder of native son Martin Luther King than I am The Allman Brothers Band, no matter the country of origin of either of their earliest ancestors.
Oh...I agree to a degree but for clowns to claim the South as the ancestral home of African Americans as we didn't have history before slavery or for blacks to be so proud of their Southern roots that they defend the South's racist history or claim that it's okay cause their alleged great grandpappy might have been plantation owning swine pig is crossing the line.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,145,451 times
Quote:
To some AAs, America is our ancestral home too since we have 400 years of history here. Native Americans originally come from Eurasia/Siberia, but after living on this continent for thousands of years, you won't find an Native American identifying as Asian. I'm sure them Arabs in North Africa for the most part identify with the African continent or see themselves as North Africans at the very least. I can see the same happening for us if our people stay here long enough. I call myself African American, but America is home and Africa is properly the motherland. I think there is going be a time in the distant future where multi-generational Americans will identify as American first and put whatever their long distance relative homeland behind them.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 02-06-2011 at 11:07 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times
Quote:
Sure your feeling weren't hurt..I guess that's why you snitched to the Mods and had my answers to your inquiries removed

No i'm an strong and proud blackman whom took offense to your spreading misinformation about my people, making us look weak and Toming in general.
Dude.I would not engage you and waist time telling the mods about you.I know you are full of delusions.You are not an equal that I would need help with.Point is YOU STILL CANNOT ANSWER MY QUESTIONS.Yet you have more 2nd grade name calling in your repertoire!I think you are all talk and have never ste foot in a Big Brother progrm,feed people at a home shelter,created an organization i College to strengthen ties and understanding between Africans and African Amercans.I have and do.You are the type that will let a crack dealer hang out to sell drugs to kids rather than "snitch" to the police.
You're acting like a two 2 bit hustler claiming moral and mental superiority due to your somehow able to receive more enlightened knowledge because us Southern blacks are just uncle toms .And you really think you can get to me so easily with name calling?I give you one.This is my favorite character:Maybe he reminds you of me?I really dont care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrYRtCui5EE

Old 02-06-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
That's all good, but to be blunt, do blacks and whites date together, live together (in the same houses), and "sleep" together. At this point, those are the measuring sticks of progress in the South. And to be blunt again, I have only really seen those things on the rise in Texas, North Carolina, and Virginia (and I'm not just counting NoVA), nor I am counting South Florida neither.

I know I sound like a buzz-killer, but I'd love to give the South a chance, Only thing is it needs to prove itself! But if it makes you feel any better, the North/Midwest isn't that much better in current comparison.
Interracial dating is extremely common here. Another misconception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.