Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,192,015 times

Advertisements

I see members posting dialect maps once in a while, but this, so far, is the best one I've seen. I'm assuming that anyone studying linguistics or speech already knows about this site, but I didn't find any links on this board.

There's a huge map on this page:
American English Dialects

ETA: I searched for the URL when I should have searched for "American English Dialects." There are probably several threads about this already. Sorry if this is the case!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,706,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
I see members posting dialect maps once in a while, but this, so far, is the best one I've seen. I'm assuming that anyone studying linguistics or speech already knows about this site, but I didn't find any links on this board.

There's a huge map on this page:
American English Dialects

ETA: I searched for the URL when I should have searched for "American English Dialects." There are probably several threads about this already. Sorry if this is the case!
Wow, good stuff. great post. Looks like the only place in the US that speaks "American" is Iowa/Nebraska lol.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:10 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,972,827 times
This is great! It takes some time looking at it and figuring out all the symbols, colors, lines, etc. Most intense accent or dialect map I've ever seen. And I like the fact that incorporates more than just the U.S.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,000,072 times
Hoosier Apex!!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,704,557 times
I have to wonder though if they are basing some of their accent map on the "Audio Samples of Local Dialects" links below the map. If they are they are missing the boat on a few places I checked that I have lived. They use a Clip from Senator Susan Collins as being representative of the Caribou, ME area. Not even close. Yes she is from Caribou, but she sounds very different than the average person there. Not even her Brothers or other family members sound like her. And yes I know all her Brothers and most of her extended family as well there.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:56 PM

9,433 posts, read 10,704,058 times
This map cannot be right. It seems to suggest that people in parts of Mich, Wisc, Ill and eastern Iowa have a similar dialect to most of New york state and even part of New Jersey. I have been out east and i can tell you thier accents are VERY different than a midwest accent. Ive never noticed that people in Ohio have that many different accents their either.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,037,665 times
While that map is certainly detailed, not all Chicagoans talk like mayor Daley. Thank God.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM

398 posts, read 1,312,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This map cannot be right. It seems to suggest that people in parts of Mich, Wisc, Ill and eastern Iowa have a similar dialect to most of New york state and even part of New Jersey. I have been out east and i can tell you thier accents are VERY different than a midwest accent. Ive never noticed that people in Ohio have that many different accents their either.
I can attest to your statement regarding Ohio. Just in my little corner of SW Ohio there are a few very distinguishable accents. Some "natives" around here sound just like the Fox news reporter, some have heavy southern type accents, and some have Appalacian type accents.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
San Francisco and Oakland have a different accent from San Jose? Never thought about that. Interesting.

Say hope u don't mind, I put it on SSP(but I did give you credit).

Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,706,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Remember that it's upstate New York (not the city) and heavily blue-collar NW New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.