Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:43 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth are 30 minutes apart. But the Dallas westernmost city limits to Fort Worth's easternmost city limits are as much as 10 miles apart. They both grew into each other and share basically the same things such as media markets and airport. DFW is much more of a single metro than Washington/Baltimore. There is still open land between Washington and Baltimore.
There is no vacant land within the San Francisco Bay Area , so why in
the world wasn't it considered one metropolitan area until just recently
that has always been a very complexing mystery to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 PM

Default Good Try You Both Are Wrong..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
^ The MSA does not count San Jose in with San Fran and Oakland because of distance and the long commute time. In the CSA it's included because it is in more land mass.
Nice attempt at explaining it , but you and the U.S. Census are
completely wrong....San Francisco is the Principal City because
it's a Alpha World Class City and both Oakland and San Jose are
secondary cities within the Metropolitan area...

Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 PM

Default The Census Rationale Is Flawed...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The rationale behind a MSA is travel and commute patterns. If people do not travel between two areas in sufficient numbers, then those two areas are not part of the same MSA, even if there is a continuous belt of suburban development between them. In that concept, a MSA is equivalent to our general concept of "city".

In the case of SF and San Jose, the local people are not willing to travel between them to the extent required, and that splits them into two independent regions. And they are, in fact, economically and socially independent. Both San Jose and SF-Oakland could survive if they were split and seperated.

The same thing seems to apply to both Washington and Baltimore. They are independent in terms of travel/commute, and have independent economies.

In the case of Dallas-Fort Worth, FW is integrated into the Dallas metro. WE know that because 30% of the local county commutes to jobs in Dallas county. Obviously, the local people believe that it is feasible to travel between Dallas county and and Tarrant county (Fort Worth) for entertainment and jobs. If Tarrant county (Fort Worth) were to be seperated from DFW metro and moved to another part of the state, its economy would collapse. 30% of its workforce would be unemployed.
The U.S. Census Rationale is flawed , what should determine Metro
area is continual development and not commute time and work force
dependant on the principal urban city.That type of logic punish power-
ful urban regions where you have two or three or even four power-
ful cities in the same general area and rewards Metropolitan with
Multiple Cities and only one Dominate City.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:21 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
There is no vacant land within the San Francisco Bay Area , so why in
the world wasn't it considered one metropolitan area until just recently
that has always been a very complexing mystery to me.
Wait - no vacant land in the San Francisco Bay area? You can't be serious with that one...

Old 11-07-2009, 11:30 PM

Default Yeah Northern California Is Rapidly Turning Toward Sacramento To Stockton Metropolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Wait - no vacant land in the San Francisco Bay area? You can't be serious with that one...
Yeah you know that northern California is rapidly turning to the Sacramento to Stockton Metropolitan Stretch of LAND , and tossing in Modesto to BOOT.....

Old 11-07-2009, 11:32 PM

254 posts, read 693,135 times

Old 11-07-2009, 11:34 PM

254 posts, read 693,135 times
For some reason I couldn't type what I wanted in the above pic I posted, but there is definitly no vacant land between San Francisco and San Jose. Even if they are both seperate MSA's, the Bay Area still functions as one metro.....

Old 11-07-2009, 11:34 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
all of them except for LA/SD - if that's one metro then so is NYC/Philly

Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
For some reason I couldn't type what I wanted in the above pic I posted, but there is definitly no vacant land between San Francisco and San Jose. Even if they are both seperate MSA's, the Bay Area still functions as one metro.....
So you're saying that there isn't so much as a vacant lot anywhere in the Bay Area? That just is not true.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:01 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Not to spoil the endless Bay Area discussion but....
I'd like to make comment about the nature of MSA's and CSA's in my two homes: Raleigh and Miami.

In the case of South Florida, the Census Bureau insists it's one MSA. I don't know that I agree from the point of view of Miami-Dade. While I see lots of interplay between Miami-Dade and Broward, I don't see the relationship between Miami-Dade and Palm Beach County. I personally don't know anyone in Miami-Dade who makes that regular commute. It's simply a nightmare. The distance from West Palm Beach to Miami is 70 miles. that's 20+ more miles than the distance between San Jose and San Francisco. I just don't see how West Palm is considered in the same MSA as Miami....but, it is. That said, the people in Broward would probably have more interaction with Palm Beach County but I guess that MiamiDade is still more prominent in the lives of Broward residents. I think that MiamiDade and Broward should be one MSA and West Palm should anchor another that grows further north. They could then be combined into a CSA. For now, there is not South Florida CSA, only the 3 county MSA.

In the case of Raleigh and Durham, I think this is a huge blunder on the part of the Census Bureau. In fact, it might be the biggest blunder in the country. These two cities used to belong to one MSA until they grew larger and towards each other so much that they now touch borders. So, what does the Census Bureau do? They separate them into two MSA's. It makes no sense to me at all. One would think that the opposite situation would be true: that they would have been separate in the past but united now that they have grown larger and more interdependent.
The commutes between the two metros would certainly back my case since the main employment center actually straddles the two MSAs (Durham and Wake Counties) and many, many, many employees cross MSA lines each day to go to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.