Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:43 AM

12 posts, read 23,752 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering moving to the United States within the next 1 or 2 years from England and I am struggling to find a city that best fits my needs. I have recently graduated from university with a bachelors degree in Information Technology. I am looking for a city with....

-Low crime
-Good schools
-Majority white sub-urban areas
-Houses between $200k to $350k
-Lots of IT jobs available
-Four seasons
-Friendly people
-Green landscape

I started researching 6 months ago and have looked closely at Madison, Wisconsin. The city seems to meet all of the requirements on my check list however I have heard that is has some extreme weather in the spring which I really don’t like. I have had many other cities/towns recommended to me but there always seems to be one big factor that forces me to look elsewhere.

If you can, could you please help me with my research,

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 AM

318 posts, read 950,719 times
Well, unfortunately, the major cities with technology/IT hubs tend to have much higher housing and cost of living expenses, particularly on the West Coast, (ex: SF Bay Area/San Jose/Silicon Valley, Seattle/Redmond-Bellevue Eastside)

Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Pittsburgh might be a city that people sleep on in regards to IT/High Tech. You actually might like my area, Syracuse NY. We have some high tech companies and jobs:Central New York Jobs in Information Technology

Central New York Information Technology

We have 4 seasons, good schools, low crime(even within the city it is relatively low in comparison), a lot of greenery, generally friendly people and one of the most affordable housing markets in the US. Our suburbs are majority White. So much so that I don't think there is a suburban community that is less than 80% White. Even the city of Syracuse is 60% White, with some neighborhoods that have a higher White percentage than that within the city limits.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
You've heard correct. Madison (as with most of the upper midwest) often keeps their winter weather throughout much of spring. Last year there was snow on the ground until May. It happens.

You could try Seattle...it is pricier than the midwest, but not too unreasonable. You could definitely find a house for under $350k. And the salaries tend to be pretty high.

Maybe somewhere in the research triangle of NC (Raleigh, Durham, etc.).

If you're willing to overlook the four seasons thing, you could try Austin, TX. That would be affordable and would fit most of your criteria.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:15 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkers233 View Post
Hello, I am considering moving to the United States within the next 1 or 2 years from England and I am struggling to find a city that best fits my needs. I have recently graduated from university with a bachelors degree in Information Technology. I am looking for a city with....

-Low crime
-Good schools
-Majority white sub-urban areas
-Houses between $200k to $350k
-Lots of IT jobs available
-Four seasons
-Friendly people
-Green landscape
With the exception of price (and perhaps friendly people), you basically just described Boston. We've got a ton of tech jobs. Both high-tech and biotech. It's also about as white as it gets when looking at the suburbs (my town and all others surrounding it are all over 90% white).

If you haven't checked it out already, then you may want to look it up!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks for all of your help, I am looking closely at Syracuse, however after doing some research on the city there seems to be a lot of crime (I maybe incorrect, that's just what I read). Apart from that Syracuse looks very good although I am unsure about the crime rate. Can someone help me with the crime in Syracuse and tell me if it is bad or actually quite good.

Also can I have some more city recommendations please, so far this forum has helped me a lot.

Thank you to everyone who has replied and who continue to help me.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
What part of England?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
North Providence, Rhode Island

-Low crime- CHECK
-Good schools- CHECK
-Majority white sub-urban areas- CHECK
-Houses between $200k to $350k- CHECK
-Lots of IT jobs available- CHECK
-Four seasons- CHECK
-Friendly people- CHECK
-Green landscape- CHECK

It's also near beaches and in the heart of New England.
Good luck!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,175 times
here, check out this article. 100 best places to work in IT for 2009.
They have a map and you can filter by region, company size

Best Places to Work 2009

Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 AM

I live in the North West of England in a city called Chester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.