Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

New England and Utah are really the only places with a strong English ancestry majority. In terms of accent, history and culture they seem as English as Australia. The place itself is quaint and charming, miles apart from the rest of the country. CT, RI etc doesn't seem like N.E. proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 07:43 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
[quote=WILWRadio;11608821]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

Actually SW CT is considered part of the NYC metro area.

Once you get away from Fairfield County, the rest of CT is more like New England than NY.
I would actually agree that it is but apparently the office of budget and management does not include it in the metro area.

I really don't even care. It's just that, for some reason, there always seems to be some CTer declaring that they are New Yorkers. It's borderline pathetic.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:10 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
New England and Utah are really the only places with a strong English ancestry majority. In terms of accent, history and culture they seem as English as Australia. The place itself is quaint and charming, miles apart from the rest of the country. CT, RI etc doesn't seem like N.E. proper.
The Midwest is mostly German which explains all the problems I've had living and working in many areas out here.

You need to visit rural CT and RI to get a better feel for it. For example, visit the Old Wethersfield section of Wethersfield and you'll think you have stepped back in time to the Colonial era.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:40 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Rhode Island still seems to be solid New England, and anything North or East of Hartford would qualify as well.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:44 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
NYC Metro culture all the way to the RI border? That's still ridiculous. I have been in many places in CT and anything east of I-91 is beautiful, rural New England. That includes all of the coastal cities east of New Haven. I would also add that anything north and nw of Hartford is New England, with the exception of maybe Torrance, NYC can have that if it wants. I look at Connecticut as the New England state with the most people who commute to New York, that's it!

Meanwhile Hartford is the murder capital of New England with almost twice Boston's rate. Good luck with that!
I didn't say NYC Metro all the way to RI border. I said NYC influence. I.E. Summer homes, companies with satellite offices, commuter traffic. I said about 50% of CT's population is in the NYC Metro - if it went to the RI border, it'd be closer to 100%. Reading comprehension, Joshie, reading comprehension.

Quote:
In other words you watch New York TV news and root for teams that purchase..er..um..win championships.
Typical bitterness. Can't say I'm surprised (especially considering the Sox's payroll is similar).

Quote:
When some CTers actually feel confident enough to say that they are from the great state of Connecticut rather than the 6th borough of NYC.
Even folks in Byram and Old Greenwich make it a point to tell people they're from CT. It sounds nicer, even though they're less than 20 miles from city limits.

Quote:
we're from Connecticut and we're more tied to NYC than to New England".
It is what it is. Accept it and move on.

Quote:
BTW Connecticut is not a part of the NYC Metropolitan Area
For educational purposes:

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The largest urbanized area in the United States is at the heart of the metropolitan area, the New York–Newark, NY–NJ–CT Urbanized Area (with a population of 17,799,861 as of the 2000 census).

Moreover, a total of 1,939,612 Connecticut residents reside in this metropolitan area.

Again, you're clueless. It's incredibly funny how insecure and territorial Bostonians become when it comes to NE vs NY.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:31 PM

243 posts, read 774,030 times
Alot of you are crazy.

Connecticut is Connecticut, it's own distinct state. I know that there are people in Greenwich and New Canaan that don't associate with New York at all. Just as I know there are people in New Haven suburbs that do associate with New York. It's all personal preference.

Fairfield County is without question a part of the NYC Metropolitan Area, the Tri-State. You will find in EVERY town in Fairfield County people who either work in the city or have some sort of tie to the city, such as family or friends, etc.

People in SW Connecticut associate with NYC because alot of companies have moved there, alot of individuals have moved here as well to escape the sky high cost of living that is just about anywhere in NYC, even the undesirable areas. This part of CT gets NY news, sports, traffic, etc. We don't consider ourselves better because of it, it's just what it is. SW CT is more or a less a suburb of NYC, a far suburb but a suburb none the less.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
We don't consider ourselves better because of it, it's just what it is.
Exactly! For some reason, when CTers say they're part of metro NYC, northern/central New Englanders take that as an insult.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:56 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly! For some reason, when CTers say they're part of metro NYC, northern/central New Englanders take that as an insult.
It's your tone.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:02 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
Okay, I really don't have much to say about CT that hasn't been said and clearly there are a lot of people who feel far more passionately than me. Basically, Connecticut is New England because it is one of the 6 states. period. However, SE Connecticut is also undeniably in the NYC metro. YAAAAY! EVERYONE WINS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Typical bitterness. Can't say I'm surprised (especially considering the Sox's payroll is similar).
Similar how? 2009 MLB team payrolls | GetListy!!! (http://www.getlisty.com/preview/2009-mlb-team-payrolls/ - broken link)

Yanks- 200 mil
Mets- 150 mil
Cubs- 135 mil
Sox- 120 mil

not that close. the Yankees spend waaaaaaaaaaay more than any other team. I am not making excuses. I was not the original poster who through around "buying championships'. I am just responding to the claim that sox/yankees payrolls are close. they are not.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewererabbit View Post
okay, i really don't have much to say about ct that hasn't been said and clearly there are a lot of people who feel far more passionately than me. Basically, connecticut is new england because it is one of the 6 states. Period. However, se connecticut is also undeniably in the nyc metro. Yaaaay! Everyone wins!!!!!
Just for clarification purposes, you mean southwest CT.

Quote:
It's your tone.
I'm just stating the facts. Apologies in advance if that bothers you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.