Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,807 times

Advertisements

I have spent most of my adult life in New York and Los Angeles and I have just about had it with the high cost of living, exhaustive pace of life, competitiveness, pollution, overcrowding, and commitment phobia. I will consider any place in the world where there is a modicum of sophistication, tolerance, and a decent local economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 PM

106 posts, read 380,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartHotGay43 View Post
I have spent most of my adult life in New York and Los Angeles and I have just about had it with the high cost of living, exhaustive pace of life, competitiveness, pollution, overcrowding, and commitment phobia. I will consider any place in the world where there is a modicum of sophistication, tolerance, and a decent local economy.
wow you sound like me. i too am gay and very fed up and frustrated with L.A. just came back from New york. LOVED IT. my heart is telling me vegas however. i just want a cheap house. people in vegas are much friendlier. As far as gay people are concerned, they're nuts everywhere so just dont base your move on that aspect. I've made that mistake too many times already.

my suggestions.

vegas
phoenix
honolulu
new york
dallas

Old 11-09-2009, 09:37 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Seattle, Portland, Eugene come to mind. (Although decent economy less so in Oregon).

Last edited by Bo; 11-10-2009 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you quoted and replied to was deleted

Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Hmmm the following seem to be fairly pro-gay with a fairly low cost of living. Don't know on taxes though.

Carrboro, North Carolina
Iowa City, Iowa - The state has same-sex marriage.
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,763 times
On a serious note, Iowa City was actually a very good suggestion. Very open minded, jobs, and low cost of living.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:53 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
I think you might like Austin. It sounds like what you're looking for.

Austin:

-supposed to be the 1st or 2nd metro to recover from the economy

-very supportive of the cities gay community

-many people move from Cali and by 2 housed because land is that much cheaper here

-VERY laid back and the whole state really, Texas is know for being very friendly and laid back

-low density population

-one of the "greenest" cities in the country in both the environmental and literal sense

-one of the highest cities per capita with a college degree

-a great cultural environment

You can find almost all of those things in Houston and Dallas as well (including a large influential gay community), but it sounds like those two cities might be a little bigger than what your looking for.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
wow you sound like me. i too am gay and very fed up and frustrated with L.A. just came back from New york. LOVED IT. my heart is telling me vegas however. i just want a cheap house. people in vegas are much friendlier. As far as gay people are concerned, they're nuts everywhere so just dont base your move on that aspect. I've made that mistake too many times already.

my suggestions.

vegas
phoenix
honolulu
new york
dallas

The OP said he was tired of NYC

Anyways, Houston would definitely work for what you seek or someplace smaller might be Charleston SC or Louisville KY

Old 11-10-2009, 07:17 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Atlanta. You would find a surprising # of gay CA and NY expats here.

www.sovo.com

Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta. You would find a surprising # of gay CA and NY expats here.
www.sovo.com
Which is what he's running away from.

I'm in a similar boat, having lived in DC and Philadelphia for years.

I too would recommend Carrboro/Chapel Hill, NC. I lived there for a few years back in the 90's and it's a great place to live. Unexpectedly sophisticated, liberal, clean and unpolluted, a nice mild four season climate, affordable, decent job prospects in the Raleigh/Durham metro, far less competitive and definitely low on the commitment-phobe scale. Both towns have an integrated atmosphere (as in not separate gay venues), and it's not about living 24/7 gay all the time. That may be a positive, or a negative for you. When the stars are aligned again, I'll move back.

Carrboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Research Triangle Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.q-notes.com/4182/openly-g...el-hill-mayor/

Old 11-12-2009, 08:04 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,785 times
He didn't say he was running away from the people from NY and Cali. He said he's tired of the high cost of living and exhaustiveness of their cities, among other reasons not related to the people there.

I think Atlanta (the city of, not the metro area as a whole!), would be great based on what you want. Midtown Atlanta is a popular area for the LGBT community, but it's also the artistic and cultural center for all of Atlanta. I believe Atlanta (percentage wise) is the second most popular place for LGBT folks after San-Fran. It's also the number one choice for young professionals in general. Also, at least for us heteros :-), I find southern men to be among the most family-oriented of any I have met since you're concerned with uncommitted men. Definite breath of fresh air having experience with Northern guys.

It's a lower cost of living than NYC and LA, slower pace, beautiful scenery (Atlanta is a city in the forest, I wish I could show pics of our fall foliage, gorgeous!), plenty of nightlife, great restaurants (our soul food will have you on your knees, lol), and a highly educated populace.

Some other neighborhoods that would be good outside of midtown are Virginia Highland, Old 4th Ward (for the "urban pioneer" type), Inman Park, the City of Decatur, Cabbagetown, and Candler Park.

If you want to jet to east coast towns to get your fix, they're all within a 2-3 hour a flight and easy access with Hartsfiled Jackson Int'l Airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which is what he's running away from.

I'm in a similar boat, having lived in DC and Philadelphia for years.

I too would recommend Carrboro/Chapel Hill, NC. I lived there for a few years back in the 90's and it's a great place to live. Unexpectedly sophisticated, liberal, clean and unpolluted, a nice mild four season climate, affordable, decent job prospects in the Raleigh/Durham metro, far less competitive and definitely low on the commitment-phobe scale. Both towns have an integrated atmosphere (as in not separate gay venues), and it's not about living 24/7 gay all the time. That may be a positive, or a negative for you. When the stars are aligned again, I'll move back.

Carrboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Research Triangle Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.q-notes.com/4182/openly-g...el-hill-mayor/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.