Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I agree black is black. I'm just saying that there has been a dividing line created somewhere down the line that puts the two sides at odds with one another. This goes back to slavery times (but that's a long story by itself). We can't start to fix the problem if we don't first acknowledge that it's there.
UTHORNS96 my brother you are over exaggerating. What two sides are you talking about? There is no rift in the black community about skin complexion. We come in all different shapers, forms, colors, and fashions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:32 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,580 times
Any southeast city really, but probably Atlanta would be the best bet.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
UTHORNS96 my brother you are over exaggerating. What two sides are you talking about? There is no rift in the black community about skin complexion. We come in all different shapers, forms, colors, and fashions.

True, but I still know some ignorant, color struck black men who won't date black women of a certain complexion. Sad, but true. The rift isn't what it was back in the day, but it's there with some people.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
over exaggerating? Hardly. He is right. There was a rift in our professional communities between dark skinned blacks and light skinned blacks. Look it up to see the stories behind it. Like grindin said, it has died down. But people didn't talk about that for nothing.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Ugh, you must be one of those light-skinned brothers

jk,lol

Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ugh, you must be one of those light-skinned brothers

jk,lol
It depends on what you consider light skin. I am not chocolate and nor am I yellow. I fall in the middle if you must know. Considering "Yellow" folks as you call them make up a significantly less portion of the population of the general black population it’s irrelevant as I stated. I don't discriminate and I never said it doesn't exist but it’s not a huge deal. It’s no different than the preference of a blonde or brunette.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
It depends on what you consider light skin. I am not chocolate and nor am I yellow. I fall in the middle if you must know. Considering "Yellow" folks as you call them make up a significantly less portion of the population of the general black population it’s irrelevant as I stated. I don't discriminate and I never said it doesn't exist but it’s not a huge deal. It’s no different than the preference of a blonde or brunette.
As a dark-skinned brother; I have to disagree. Seriously, put up Beyonce against any dark-skinned woman in Hollywood and watch her be the most favored. I'd also like the add that if Beyonce was dark-skinned; I honestly don't believe she'd have as much fame as she has now. Hell I even think the same thing with Obama; just picture if he was Wesley Snipe color ().

Old 03-08-2010, 06:23 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
This is not a joke, I am serious about this question. I have lived in both Maryland (college) and the Midwest (job) and found that in those areas, men of all races do not actively pursue black women.

I don't know whether it is cultural, fear of sexual harassment accusations or just plain zero attraction to black women but in those places I got (and still get) no play.

A little about me, I grew up in Ghana, a country where men actively pursue women. They make catcalls, walk up to you and boldly ask you out for a date.

Since I moved to the U.S., I have not had that experience. I know I am not ugly but for the life of me, cannot explain why I never get asked out. I asked a caucasian colleague of mine and she said that American men are just shy and that they don't chase women the way I was used to in Ghana. She advised me to make eye contact with men I like and to smile encouragingly.

I tried that but failed woefully. I am just not used to making the first moves with a man also, the men I liked were not attracted to me.

I decided to stop but now want to move to an area where men are bolder. Does such a place exist in the U.S.?

I am professional, 26 with a grad degree
Alaska!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
As a dark-skinned brother; I have to disagree. Seriously, put up Beyonce against any dark-skinned woman in Hollywood and watch her be the most favored. I'd also like the add that if Beyonce was dark-skinned; I honestly don't believe she'd have as much fame as she has now. Hell I even think the same thing with Obama; just picture if he was Wesley Snipe color ().
Tina Turner & Aretha Franklin are both darker than Beyonce. I wouldn't say that’s a good example, but I do understand your logic from a certain extent.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
Quote:
I've always theorized one reason Beyonce is so controversial in some circles is an indirect result of our issues with colorism in the black community. And I also thought the hard truth that she wouldn't be as popular if she was the complexion of Kelly Rowland (whom I find to be more attractive than Beyonce). Yes, she's a black woman, a beautiful black woman at that, but she has the complexion and features that don't make her as "ethnic" looking, and therefore, more marketable to the mainstream.

That being said, colorism is an issue in the Latino and Asian communities as well.

Anyone remember this? It's a bit exaggerated for entertainment, but it is a reflection on some of the rampant ignorance and division when it comes to issues of colorism.

Last edited by grindin; 03-08-2010 at 11:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.