Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Atlanta "fiasco"?

Aside from the terrorist attack, the games went off without a major hitch, the U.S. lead the medal count with 101, and city had zero debt before the Games even began. It was also the single event that catapulted Atlanta from a city of national importance into a World City. Yeah, sounds like a failure to me. Not to mention Michael Johnson's world record 400 meter world record run 2 days after the bombing was one of the highlights Olympic lore.

But that's ok, I'll just let you stay ignorant with your "Bubbaolympics" comment
That criticism is SO retarded and based on nothing but ignorance. I wonder if other countries experience the same type of polarization between cities as in the U.S.? I would expect that the entire country of Spain was very proud of the Barcelona Olympics, and Australia of the Sydney Olympics...yet in the U.S. the envy and bitterness just rises to the top. It's kinda sad that there isn't more unification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:22 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That criticism is SO retarded and based on nothing but ignorance. I wonder if other countries experience the same type of polarization between cities as in the U.S.? I would expect that the entire country of Spain was very proud of the Barcelona Olympics, and Australia of the Sydney Olympics...yet in the U.S. the envy and bitterness just rises to the top. It's kinda sad that there isn't more unification.
From my experiences from working and living in other countries they do, but to a much smaller extent than in America. That just comes from too much competition I suppose. When you have 20 cities that could easily be the dominant city in any country you put them in that's bound to happen.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
There were issues with logistics, traffic (Atlanta is already a hard city to get around, traffic or no traffic) and over-commercialization. While not a fiasco, it did hamper things a bit.
According to the economic outcome of the Olympics along with the lack of national funding, it seems that the commercialization was exactly the right amount. It didn't affect the experience for those in attendance or those viewing on telelvision.

The logistics thing was overblown by the international media, which was already bitter because Athens didn't win. There was one incident that I heard about where a bus driver got lost trying to find a venue - ONE INCIDENT - yet it has now become "logistics issues". It's so tiresome.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
From my experiences from working and living in other countries they do, but to a much smaller extent than in America. That just comes from too much competition I suppose. When you have 20 cities that could easily be the dominant city in any country you put them in that's bound to happen.
That may be true...I have no idea. But I don't remember L.A. getting as much criticism following the '84 Olympics, although I was young and didn't pay as much attention.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
There were issues with logistics, traffic (Atlanta is already a hard city to get around, traffic or no traffic) and over-commercialization. While not a fiasco, it did hamper things a bit.
Every country has problems with logistics during the Olympics. It's impossible not to given the amount of people and events that are occurring all at once.

There were no problems with traffic during the Atlanta games, that's just people projecting what they believe they know about the city. During the 96 games, most companies gave their employees the two weeks off or the option to work from home.

The over commercialization thing was a knock against the corporate sponsorship of the games. That worked out quite well for the city since we had zero debt, where the people ended up financing the games in Athens, Sydney, and Beijing...and stuck with the debt afterwards. I'm not certain, but I believe Montreal was still paying off the debt from 1976 games up until a few years ago.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 PM

Anyway, now that we have the predictable Atlanta Olympics bashing out of the way...now maybe we can get back to the topic at hand?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
I think hr was talking about the LBJ freeway, not the lake.

I guess some of the water events could be done along the lakes in Austin. And maybe some saltwater events in Galveston Bay? Make it a statewide effort.
Why not? as long as most of the events are in either Houston or Dallas (as in one or the other), I think it could work. Beijing had a few sports in Hong Kong, why not Houston have the water events in Austin (I'm not sure Dallas would go for that considering the lakes just north of Dallas)? It would be hard to beat the scenery of a rowing event in Town Lake with downtown Austin in the back ground.

But Oatmeal, you lived in Texas. You know that if Houston or Dallas where one of the forerunners to host, the whole state (the government, cities, billionaires and all) would be trying to contribute to bring an Olympics to Texas.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Quote:
I think the poster was talking about the LBJ freeway, not the lake.

I guess some of the water events could be done along the lakes in Austin. And maybe some saltwater events in Galveston Bay? Make it a statewide effort.
Indeed I was. But it really doesn't matter, He needs to get out more.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:59 PM

965 posts, read 1,885,916 times
I was just saying that the media and the elites were criticizing the commercialization, but given that Atlanta was a city built on trade and transportation, that should've been known.
But you are right, Atlanta didn't have any debt, so I ain't mad at em! And the Olympics turned an already great city into the world class city that it is today.

I'm pretty sure people in Montreal look at the Olympic Stadium and curse it.

Toronto would be a cool city to host it though.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I was just saying that the media and the elites were criticizing the commercialization, but given that Atlanta was a city built on trade and transportation, that should've been known.
But you are right, Atlanta didn't have any debt, so I ain't mad at em! And the Olympics turned an already great city into the world class city that it is today.

I'm pretty sure people in Montreal look at the Olympic Stadium and curse it.

Toronto would be a cool city to host it though.
Nice response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.