Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:52 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Except the IOC probably won't vote for DC the same way they didnt vote for NYC or Chicago.

Too "American".

I say the least typically American the better. At least for now. Which is sorta why I thought about Honolulu. Maybe Miami. Heck SF seems anti-american to many foreigners.

But then you never know. I just am very cynical of a bunch of foreigners, many of whom are from developing countries whose people feel they were wronged by the US in the past. I think they deliberately vote against the US because they hate us.

OTOH, Salt Lake had that bribery case and Atlanta came off as a commercial enterprise. Maybe they think we're too scandalous? LOL

No, they just had a meeting there.

The IOC is based in Switzerland.
Although I have never been to Honolulu...so I may be wrong...but I don't think the city has nearly the infrastructure required to host an Olympics. It looks like a beautiful city, but it would need to have some venues already in place as well as an established transit system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:04 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Except the IOC probably won't vote for DC the same way they didnt vote for NYC or Chicago.

Too "American".

I say the least typically American the better. At least for now. Which is sorta why I thought about Honolulu. Maybe Miami. Heck SF seems anti-american to many foreigners.

But then you never know. I just am very cynical of a bunch of foreigners, many of whom are from developing countries whose people feel they were wronged by the US in the past. I think they deliberately vote against the US because they hate us.

OTOH, Salt Lake had that bribery case and Atlanta came off as a commercial enterprise. Maybe they think we're too scandalous? LOL

No, they just had a meeting there.

The IOC is based in Switzerland.
Switzerland is still in Europe but thanks for letting me know.

Although I'm sure Rio benefited from a few anti-American votes, I bet the Chicago city government and how they would handle the government had something to do with it. From reading some of the Chicago boards after Rio won, I think the fear of mismanagement and corruption might have had some influence. Probably the main reason Houston went farther than most people expected in the bid process (in spite of heat, lack of public transportation, etc) is because they where able put together a very well organized bid and prove the city would be able to run a excellent Olympics with very little complications. The IOC seems to like that. I don't know if they had the confidence that Chicago would be able to mange the Olympics with out "complications." As for Rio (although Rio will probably have "complications" of its own), I'm sure the city itself and the fact that there has never been an Olympics in South America was all too big of a temptation to pass up.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:10 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Although I have never been to Honolulu...so I may be wrong...but I don't think the city has nearly the infrastructure required to host an Olympics. It looks like a beautiful city, but it would need to have some venues already in place as well as an established transit system.
Honolulu definitely does not have the infrastucture to handle an Olympics Games, of that Im sure.

They are working on a light rail and Oahu has thousands of hotel rooms and many good locations in town that could serve as sites for venues. Honolulu already has many flights to cities all over the world and is only 4 hrs from the West Coast, which already serves as the connector for most intl and domestic flights to Hawaii. Also, Honolulu to Tokyo is a very busy route and that could serve asian countries.

Although one has to wonder about the legacy left behind-would it be worth the trouble? I dunno.

On the other hand, Honolulu could take advantage of each of the Hawaiian Islands as flights between them are mere minutes.

It would be beautiful.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:34 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I think honolulu could handle the Olympics. The infrastructure is based on Tourism. They have the stadiums and convention halls along with most of the outdoor facilities.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I think honolulu could handle the Olympics. The infrastructure is based on Tourism. They have the stadiums and convention halls along with most of the outdoor facilities.
What stadiums? That's the main thing I was thinking about...along with lack of mass transit.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
My vote is for New Orleans. Hosting an Olympics there would attract more federal money and help recharge the community.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What stadiums? That's the main thing I was thinking about...along with lack of mass transit.
Aloha stadium. Most Olympic Cities refurbish old stadiums or build news stadiums anyway.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:34 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
A culture to me a is a group of People with similar likes and Dislikes who are seen as a culture from a outsider.
There's no city in the Western World which fits that description. There are many multicultural cities in this country. Boston is one of them.

Quote:
No I do not see a bunch of intellectuals as a culture because they do not have the same likes and dislikes, and if they do than they are few and far between. ANd I would never say Intellectuals were elitist, maybe a little full of themselves but not elitist.
Groupthink has never succeeded for a reason. You can share likes and also disagree on some things and still have culture. Culture can also refer to arts, museums, theaters, etc...all of which Boston is loaded with (second most museums in the country behind NYC).

History = culture. Along with Philadelphia, Boston is the most historical city in the country.

Quote:
And yes "Crunk" is part of the Hip Hop culture,
By your reasoning, since "Crunk" people don't have the same exact opinion about hip-hop music as people who like music more styled like Jay-Z, 50 Cent, and Nas, they can't possibly qualify as a culture. Therefore
this "Hip Hop Culture" you refer to doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
WOW Did I say that Boston has no culture? NO I DID NOT, I dont know where you read that. But I will say Boston has no culture that interest me or my friends or Family.
You, your friends, and your family may not have any interest in Boston's culture, but many people do. The culture of Massachusetts is deeply embedded in many of the rules of the United States, since the US Constitution was based on the Constitution of Massachusetts.

Quote:
Hey, but Boston may interest you if you like, Red Sox, Classical Music, or Hardcore Punk Rock.
Or if you like history, museums, the arts, theater, symphony, or architecture...

Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Aloha stadium. Most Olympic Cities refurbish old stadiums or build news stadiums anyway.
Aloha Stadium indeed.

Currently seats 50,000. I think the IOC requires a stadium that seats at least 90,000. The Aloha Stadium could definitely be enlarged.

Quote:
My biggest concern is the logistical aspects. Moving tens of thousands of people from one venue to another, from one location to another. Traffic Congestion in Honolulu is insane as it is. The H-1 is probably one of the slowest moving freeways during commute times in the entire country.

I think if they worked on getting that light rail done, and maybe even implemented congestion driving days into Waikiki and Downtown-it would be awesome. Another awesome idea would be to shuttle people via water from Downtown to Aloha Stadium. A ferry ride option would be very memorable. Take advantage of the water I say.

I would love to see an atheletes village in this theme-practically in the water.

Another thing Honolulu has going for it is a very positive image around the world. People smile when they think of Hawaii and they long to be there. Imagine the scene of people getting off the plane and being welcomed with a necklace of fragrant hawaiian flowers, accompanied by a kiss on the cheek and a warm "Aloha". If there's one thing Hawaiians know how to do, its host visitors.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Well...take Atlanta for instance...the city built the 85,000 seat Olympic Stadium and later converted it to Turner Field for the Atlanta Braves. But also used were a number of previously existing stadiums and arenas:

Georgia Dome
Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium
Panther Stadium (Clarke Atlanta University)
Herndon Stadium (Morris Brown College)
Sanford Stadium (University of Georgia)
Omni Coliseum
Alexander Coliseum (Georgia Tech)
Forbes Arena (Morehouse College)
Georgia State University Sports Arena
Stegeman Coliseum (University of Georgia)
Georgia World Congress Center (Atlanta's Convention Center)

The soccer venues used were all over the southeastern U.S.:

RFK Stadium (Washington D.C.)
Legion Field (Birmingham)
Orange Bowl (Miami)
Citrus Bowl (Orlando)

I may be wrong because I don't know very much about Honolulu, but my gut feeling is that the city just doesn't have the number of venues needed to host an Olympics...and would have to build and fund many venues that wouldn't have a purpose after the Olympics ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.