Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Is anyone else kind of shocked by how many blacks are on here??? I though half of you were white. *Sarcasm*......a little.
lol me too, im surprised, but i kinda knew who was and who wasnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I'm not sure who this "chill" is directed at, but I was objective and reasonable throughout.

For the record, my observations were only about NYC. Others who wanted to talk about the suburban or affluent areas of the North for Blacks as a whole are free to do so, but it's silly for anyone to assume I'm making a blanket statement about all of the North when I never made an assertion about an entire region, or even all blacks in NYC.

My post is based entirely on nyrican's misconceptions about Blacks based on his limited experience in NYC and the reality that numbers fare better for blacks as a whole outside of the North. If that cannot be understood, then I'm pretty much done. Those who got it can take my post as exactly as I presented it, nothing more nothing less.
i moved down south to NC from chicagoland...and i agree with this all the way.

Last edited by mas23; 11-17-2009 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I'm not sure who this "chill" is directed at, but I was objective and reasonable throughout.

For the record, my observations were only about NYC. Others who wanted to talk about the suburban or affluent areas of the North for Blacks as a whole are free to do so, but it's silly for anyone to assume I'm making a blanket statement about all of the North when I never made an assertion about an entire region, or even all blacks in NYC.

My post is based entirely on nyrican's misconceptions about Blacks based on his limited experience in NYC and the reality that numbers fare better for blacks as a whole outside of the North. If that cannot be understood, then I'm pretty much done. Those who got it can take my post as exactly as I presented it, nothing more nothing less.
I wasn't talking to anyone in particular, but I saw that some were taking it personally.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:56 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
its very sad. and i didn't say that black ppl are not moving to the south, what i said (in various threads) is that many ppl don't take the opportunities that they have. its easy to trade cost of living for cheaper rent and better weather but our job market is better...
When they can move to Dallas, Houston, or Raleigh with a lower cost of living, better weather, and plentiful job opportunities, the decision is easy for many folks. We know you think their decisions are irrational and there are no jobs down here, but people are voting with their feet.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
When they can move to Dallas, Houston, or Raleigh with a lower cost of living, better weather, and plentiful job opportunities, the decision is easy for many folks. We know you think their decisions are irrational and there are no jobs down here, but people are voting with their feet.
better weather? sure.
lower cost of living? debatable in some areas (depends on where you're from, where you're going, what you're looking for, etc. etc.)
"plentiful" job opportunities? na.

there aren't a lot job opportunities anywhere right now...and again, outside of tx, ny has a lower unemployment rate than any of the southern states that were mentioned awhile ago. i didn't check on whether or not the rest of the north does, however.

to be completely honest, i think there are several factors as to why a person moves from nyc to (lets face it) nc or fl (these two are the most common as far as my experience, with ga coming in third).

-cheaper cost of living
-cheaper cost of living
-cheaper cost of living

it has nothing to do with the weather and it doesn't have anything to do with the job market. they heard from somebody that heard from somebody that ____ was the place to be if you want a house.

which is ok. there are pros and cons to every place and if the pros outweigh the cons for joe blow and he wants to move down south then so be it.

i promise you that ny isn't hurting or missing anybody that isn't here for one bit. we have 2342342342343 million ppl and 50 million tourists that vote with the click of their cameras and the coins in their wallets.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
better weather? sure.
lower cost of living? debatable in some areas (depends on where you're from, where you're going, what you're looking for, etc. etc.)
"plentiful" job opportunities? na.

there aren't a lot job opportunities anywhere right now...and again, outside of tx, ny has a lower unemployment rate than any of the southern states that were mentioned awhile ago. i didn't check on whether or not the rest of the north does, however.
Obviously I'm not talking about the current state of the economy right now, but even with that in mind, many Southern metros are doing better than average. I've posted stats that prove such in the other thread and won't repeat myself here.

Quote:
-cheaper cost of living
-cheaper cost of living
-cheaper cost of living

it has nothing to do with the weather and it doesn't have anything to do with the job market. they heard from somebody that heard from somebody that ____ was the place to be if you want a house.
You've got to be kidding me if you don't think weather has something to do with it, because it most certainly does. That's almost always a factor. Sometimes it's the number one factor. And if you don't think the job market has anything to do with it, then why do these people flock to Southern metros like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Austin, etc.? Because those are where the jobs are to be had. They could move to Hickory, NC or Allendale, SC or Albany, GA in droves--after all, those places have even lower costs of living than the larger urban areas. They don't move there because that's not where the jobs are concentrated. After all, what good is a lower cost of living if you can't find a decent-paying job to support yourself? This is why the first Great Migration happened in the first place; Blacks moved to the North in droves for better economic opportunities. Now, in the "Reverse Migration," they're finding out they can have great economic opportunities back in the South along with a cheaper cost of living and better weather.

Quote:
i promise you that ny isn't hurting or missing anybody that isn't here for one bit. we have 2342342342343 million ppl and 50 million tourists that vote with the click of their cameras and the coins in their wallets.
Have fun. We're not missing anyone either.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:07 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
i'm not gonna go back and forth with you. i've already posted why ppl are leaving. gentrification.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
i'm not gonna go back and forth with you. i've already posted why ppl are leaving. gentrification.
Black folks started leaving NYC way before Harlem started undergoing gentrification. That only exacerbated the problem.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:22 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Its also quality of life.In these times not as many people want to raise their kids in NYC.Look at the countless number of surveys.Its not just jobs.Its all tied together.Many are tired of the crowds,weather,etc....

Old 11-18-2009, 07:13 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Black folks started leaving NYC way before Harlem started undergoing gentrification. That only exacerbated the problem.
I've got a question. Is gentrification a white thing?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I've got a question. Is gentrification a white thing?
Typically.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.