Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Long story short:

... ( no diss to Phoenix, it's just not my cup of tea )

Anyways, I'm an electrician. Licensed in the states of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. I want to move some place where I can make a good living off of 40 or 50g's a year. My girlfriend is a Phlebotomist.. She makes about 30 g's a year..

Combined we would make around 70g's a year in most parts of the country.

I'm just wondering where we could make a good living on that amount of money...... I want a rent/mortgage to be around 1000 bucks a month give or take.. For a 3 BR, 2B house with a grassy backyard...... I wish we could have stayed in Boston, but it's tough making it on such low income.

I would say that you need to be in a place that is somewhat insulated from recession woes as any construction. Since all construction is the very first to get whacked hard by economic downturns, that will be very difficult. I would gather you would be able to keep a job longer in a big metro, on lower pay (think Philly); and lose a job much faster, with a bit more pay in a mid/small sized metro (think Providence RI).

Why aren't you in a union? I thought Unions guaranteed a very inflated payscale?

Your income is actually quite high for 2 people.-At least compared to our family its is. Since you are young, have you considered going back to school and getting a Masters in something you may like to work in? Accountants get jobs quite easily in Chicago. Its the land of Lawyers in DC, etc..It would be more steady

BTW you will not be able to live in any larger metro with a 3 bed home for less that 2200/month on the East Coast. Just go to craigslist and search your criteria by zip code. Or Long and Fosters rent site.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 738 times
This is what I'm thinking just became an electrician and wanting to move To a new state other than NY this is where I live im thinking southern Ohio iowa or Missouri where do you think the best salary would be. I dont want to live in a city just near like 15 miles away so any near by towns by cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.