Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Sugar in rice??? Sure!
Sugar in Tea? Great!
Sugar in cornbread? OK.....whatever floats your boat.
Sugar in Grits?? WTF IS YOUR PROBLEMS???

Gotta second this...sugar, butter, and rice is like candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:08 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
Quote:
porridge...never knew what it was.
?!?!

You do know what oatmeal is though right? Quaker Oats?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Well I always have lived in the city in Louisiana and grew up with cream of wheat. Strangely enough my southern mother never cooked grits-why, I don't know (didn't own a double boiler I guess). I liked cream of wheat better than oatmeal as it didn't seem quite as pasty. Now I do eat oatmeal and I do like grits. I have never been to a restaurant that offered shrimp and grits. Certainly there must be some around here, but I haven't ran into it yet. Some Louisiana style food is pretty scarce in Shreveport.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:24 PM

166 posts, read 367,212 times
Quote:
Sugar in rice??? Sure!
Sugar in Tea? Great!
Sugar in cornbread? OK.....whatever floats your boat.
Sugar in Grits?? WTF IS YOUR PROBLEMS???
Hold up...rice and sugar!? They do that where you're from!? I thought that was only a weird, rural Maryland thing... I didn't know that anyone from anywhere else ate rice like that. My relatives in rural Maryland grew up eating rice only with cream and sugar--no other way. None of my family with roots in other states ever heard of that. My family from GA ate rice mostly with gravy.

My paternal grandfather told me that before he moved from Maryland to Harlem, NY in the 1950s, he thought that rice was primarily a foreign food--basically a food that mostly Chinese or Asian people ate. Other than eating it occassionaly with cream & sugar, it was never a staple food in his area of rural MD.

He said that when he first got to Harlem, he was surprised to see African Americans from other parts of the South who ate rice in other ways--and as a primary staple. His wife (my step-grandmother) was originally from South Carolina, and she ate rice EVERY SINGLE DAY. She ate it with beans or peas, or topped with vegetables like cabbage, or with gravy, and other ways. When he met her, he started eating it her way--the way that's most common in my experience.

Man, I just learned something.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Yes, I agree Nomad-rice to me was kind of substitute for potatoes (just for a change). We used to eat roast beef, rice and gravy and either some LeSueir peas(spelling) or purple hulls(summertime) with cornbread of course.

I have heard of people even in the South like rice with butter and sugar, but I always liked it with dinner or supper. Believe it or not I was grown by the time I had hoppin' John. I love it.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:58 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
Hold up...rice and sugar!? They do that where you're from!? I thought that was only a weird, rural Maryland thing... I didn't know that anyone from anywhere else ate rice like that. My relatives in rural Maryland grew up eating rice only with cream and sugar--no other way. None of my family with roots in other states ever heard of that. My family from GA ate rice mostly with gravy.

My paternal grandfather told me that before he moved from Maryland to Harlem, NY in the 1950s, he thought that rice was primarily a foreign food--basically a food that mostly Chinese or Asian people ate. Other than eating it occassionaly with cream & sugar, it was never a staple food in his area of rural MD.

He said that when he first got to Harlem, he was surprised to see African Americans from other parts of the South who ate rice in other ways--and as a primary staple. His wife (my step-grandmother) was originally from South Carolina, and she ate rice EVERY SINGLE DAY. She ate it with beans or peas, or topped with vegetables like cabbage, or with gravy, and other ways. When he met her, he started eating it her way--the way that's most common in my experience.

We ate rice with butter and sugar for breakfast...I think it's pretty common.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What one? I'm not following what you're saying...

I've never tried shrimp and grits, but I know it's more of a coastal dish originating in New Orleans/other Gulf Coast cities and in the Lowcountry area of Charleston. I have noticed that many finer restaurants have picked it up and now serve it, but it just isn't appetizing to me. I love shrimp and I wouldn't want to ruin it.
Shrimp-and-grits seem to be more of a Locountry thing, but I know people along the Mississippi Gulf Coast that eat it too. Mix it with some butter and some Tony Chachere's or Old Bay seasoning, and I'm in heaven. Yall don't know what yall are missing! LOL.

When I lived in Florida, Fish-and-Grits was popular. Fried fish, usually grouper. Now THAT I did not like at all.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
?!?!

You do know what oatmeal is though right? Quaker Oats?
No; I've never heard of that either.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post

Sugar rice is pretty common in the south.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Rice is eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, & desert and basically goes with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.