Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:03 PM

160 posts, read 564,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgs123 View Post
I think I better NOT move there!! They would probably arrest me at the State line
Based on your posts, and I know you're joking a bit here, I'm not sure you'd be comfortable anywhere in the Northeast--there are really a lot of liberals everywhere up here--or the West, which has a lot of populations, like the LDS church and Mexican immigrants, that I'm not sure you'd enjoy dealing with.
Plus, there's a ton of meth out West, which leads to a lot of crime in places you wouldn't expect. (I know, I know, I shouldn't generalize, but I'm saying all this as a current resident of the Northeast and former resident of the West with family still there.)
I think your first inclination, toward Western North Carolina, or maybe western Virginia or West Virginia, would suit you better than a place like Colorado or New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 04:42 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
What is your occupation? Vermont, NH, NYS are all very beautiful. Even been to the Hudson Valley around West Point? Croton on the Hudson? Finger Lakes. Very beautiful areas and hardly "run down".

The key with ANY of these states is getting a job. It all depends if your occupation is in a demand area, or if you are able to telecommute.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:59 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
The locals will tell you no.

But there is a VERY REAL "brotherhood" associated with wearing the "Garments" knows as Mormon Underwear.

Mormons are prevalent in Utah, Eastern Oregon, Southern Idaho and less so in Eastern WA.

Northern Idaho is worth a look see (Coeur D Lane and Spokane are roughly 30 miles apart) Eastern WA and Northern Idaho are both conservative.

And the countryside is simply spectacular, cost of living is decent.

Great pics of the lake! My friends and I were laying on that dock for the 4th of July last summer

Old 11-21-2009, 02:14 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Alaska.
Lots of mountains.
Lots of cold and snow.
Nice folks.
And you can get a job shooting wolves from the air if you don't mind flying.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:47 PM

67 posts, read 128,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoco View Post
Based on your posts, and I know you're joking a bit here, I'm not sure you'd be comfortable anywhere in the Northeast--there are really a lot of liberals everywhere up here--or the West, which has a lot of populations, like the LDS church and Mexican immigrants, that I'm not sure you'd enjoy dealing with.
Plus, there's a ton of meth out West, which leads to a lot of crime in places you wouldn't expect. (I know, I know, I shouldn't generalize, but I'm saying all this as a current resident of the Northeast and former resident of the West with family still there.)
I think your first inclination, toward Western North Carolina, or maybe western Virginia or West Virginia, would suit you better than a place like Colorado or New Hampshire.
Thanks for your comment. I think I would like New Hampshire. " Live free or die" sounds good to me
But yeah, Western North Carolina is definitely a great place, been there many times. Just not sure there are jobs there.
West Virginia ( just went there) is just a little too isolated , you can't even use your cell phone in most areas. I don't like their ski area much either.
Virginia is too much of a " police State" to me , so even the rural part is out. I think New Hampshire , North Carolina or Colorado are most likely going to be it.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:53 PM

67 posts, read 128,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
What is your occupation? Vermont, NH, NYS are all very beautiful. Even been to the Hudson Valley around West Point? Croton on the Hudson? Finger Lakes. Very beautiful areas and hardly "run down".

The key with ANY of these states is getting a job. It all depends if your occupation is in a demand area, or if you are able to telecommute.
My husband and myself are both engineers, one of the few job areas where there still ARE jobs in many areas. So it might be hard for both of us finding jobs at the same time in the same place but not impossible. There are more jobs in New England than in North Carolina from what I've seen. My husband could just transfer to Denver. But, jobs is one of the things we are seriously thinking about. We are going to loose our built up seniority and vacation time. So we are not totally definite on moving yet

Old 11-22-2009, 03:10 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoco View Post
That depends. I think Upstate NY is more moderate with the major cities being a bit more "liberal" and the smaller towns and rural areas being a bit more "conservative".

Old 11-23-2009, 03:01 PM

160 posts, read 564,607 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That depends. I think Upstate NY is more moderate with the major cities being a bit more "liberal" and the smaller towns and rural areas being a bit more "conservative".
But upthread, SGS already said they hated upstate New York, even the Lake Placid area. Too "rundown" for them. I'm thinking New Hampshire is going to present similar issues for them, given its increasingly liberal bent and Massachusetts influences.
Based on the thread, I think they'd have to swallow really hard handle the Northeast, or even Colorado, for that matter. Maybe Colorado Springs or Grand Junction would be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.