Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2006, 06:09 PM

109 posts, read 405,316 times

Advertisements

Cosmic,
So glad you agree! I've been to many parts of New Jersey and the worst parts of Detroit, and, though they, along with Terre Haute, Indiana, would have been put on my Runners-Up List, Chelsea is the place I love to hate!
As you could tell, perhaps I was a bit biased, because I had the good fortune of surviving there for almost a year. (I have to admit, however, there always is a silver lining if you look hard enough, and the best Mexican restaurant in Boston, Tijuana's, happened to be in the diseased heart of Chelsea. Almost worth dodging bullets to order their enchilada mole.)
I used to wonder why they built all those gas tanks so close to Chelsea and the airport when everyone knows about the Great Chelsea Fire of 1908, until I figured out that maybe the reasoning is if one of those planes does crash into a gas tank, at least some good will come out of it. Imagine all those little girls who'd probably be named Ashley or Tiffany if their moms and dads had only seen Chelsea first!
Cosmic, thanks for making me laugh so hard!!

Old 10-31-2006, 09:20 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Chelsea is an easy winner but a big secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farouche View Post
Cosmic,
So glad you agree! I've been to many parts of New Jersey and the worst parts of Detroit, and, though they, along with Terre Haute, Indiana, would have been put on my Runners-Up List, Chelsea is the place I love to hate!
As you could tell, perhaps I was a bit biased, because I had the good fortune of surviving there for almost a year. (I have to admit, however, there always is a silver lining if you look hard enough, and the best Mexican restaurant in Boston, Tijuana's, happened to be in the diseased heart of Chelsea. Almost worth dodging bullets to order their enchilada mole.)
I used to wonder why they built all those gas tanks so close to Chelsea and the airport when everyone knows about the Great Chelsea Fire of 1908, until I figured out that maybe the reasoning is if one of those planes does crash into a gas tank, at least some good will come out of it. Imagine all those little girls who'd probably be named Ashley or Tiffany if their moms and dads had only seen Chelsea first!
Cosmic, thanks for making me laugh so hard!!
Farouche, once you have experienced Chelsea, MA everything pales by comparison. Even the rats bail out. Everything is dripping and rotten. That dead decaying dog smell of New Orleans, mixed with corruption, shaken well and poured everwhere. A place that only could be located where it is.

Something about that Revere connection and the Boston rump, did I mention Charlestown is close. A good place for all those immigrants to start, it all has to be up from there. Send them Mexicans to Chelsea, Mexico will look like Heaven. There will be this sucking sound as they rush for the border South.

I even was able to do East Boston a bunch of times, Chelsea twice. The second time I sort of got lost and had a bad flashback. **** this map.

If you really don't understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea,_Massachusetts

In your worse nightmare in Detroit, Flint, or most of those NJ Hellholes, they do not compare. New Orleans, now I sort of forgot that jewel. Yup, just nosed out that one. The cops are worse than the crooks, in Chelsea and most of that area, you cannot tell which is which.

Actually you did not have to go to Chelsea for the best Mexican restaurant in Boston, the best was in that alley behind the Collenade Hotel in the Back Bay, nice lil French restaurant too, usually had to be on the expense account.

Chelsea had so, so much to offer and is so poorly known. You just had to have a girlfriend named Chelsea, what were those parents thinking???? Like Chelsea in England. What were the Clinton's doing in Boston so much with a daughter like that, didn't they realize the risk.

New Jersey is easy. The sewer for NYC. Like they say ant eaters fell on Alabama, soot falls on New Jersey. So many choices, any places with all them tire shredders on the exits for car rentals places can't be all wrong. Difficult to make the wrong turn there, they all are in that category.

Yes, this thread tells you a lot about the "Progress in the USA". A long and growing list. You got to experience Chelsea, so much in such a small place.

The crown jewel located just about right in the groin area to the backside.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:13 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
I don't know if I really agree about Indianapolis being among the worst. Sure, it isn't a constant orgasm to live there. It is white bread, conservative, and has a murder problem, but I wouldn't care about going back if my insane mother didn't live there. As long as she is there, pfft, forget it.

I would say that the worst city I have ever been to ever was actually Brussels, Belgium. Hard to believe that piece of crap is where they set up the EU headquarters at. All of their monuments were covered in graffiti. There were literally hills of trash bags, opened by street dogs, litter everywhere. Food was left to rot on window sills. The people were insanely rude. The guy from the hostel I was staying at took me across the street to the other building where the dorms where. Someone seriously tried to run him over. Aiming directly for him. All the women were afraid to go out at night. The men mostly of Middle Eastern decent were waiting for all the Western foriegn whores to come out.

In the US, I still haven't lived in a city I thought was such useless waste of space that I wanted out then, then, then. This thread is entertaining though.

Last edited by Sonnenwende; 11-01-2006 at 02:10 AM..

Old 11-01-2006, 02:51 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,400 times
How can Redlands, which isn't bad, and Fontana, which is eeewwww, be mentioned but not San Bernardino?! San Bernardino, Ca is one big cesspool.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 AM

109 posts, read 405,316 times
Default Terre Haute, Brussels Sprouts and Chelsea

Sonnenwende,

I think you mistook Terre Haute for Indianapolis. I've only flown over and into Indianapolis, so I'm not qualified to comment on that city, but I have had the pleasure to spend a bit of time in lovely Terre Haute, the home of Terre Haute Federal Correctional Complex, Lincoln Park Speedway, wifebeater T-shirts and Benzene Hexachloride.
I'd say either you're an eternal optimist, Sonnenwende, or you've been very lucky not to have lived in a place you wanted to run from!
Brussels sounds like a real contender. Is that why the sprouts are named after it, I wonder?

Cosmic,

Yep, you know Chelsea pretty well! It's been a long time, but I wonder if that Mexican restaurant was there in the Back Bay so long ago.....I would have liked to have given it a try. Just another good reason to leave Chelsea
(as though living there weren't enough)!
I would agree Charlestown is pretty scary, too, and my boyfriend at the time worked in East Boston near Maverick Square, so I'm familiar with that charming area as well. Two great contenders on either side of the Queen.
I forgot to mention that the only really nice area of Chelsea was Admiral's Hill - best place to see the Fourth of July fireworks.
The only problem- you've got to come down sometime!
Cosmic, I'd love to know your contenders for the best place to live in the USA. It sounds like you've been around a bit!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 AM

34 posts, read 172,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Hawaii!!!

-Volcanoes!
-Tsunami threat!
-Stupid Tourist!
-Far!

Dear Hustla718,

Thanks for your opinion about Hawaii.

What you say is true.

Your criticism of Hawaii isn't nearly as bad as the criticism of many other places in the USA.

Sincerely,

Laura Kimmick

Old 11-01-2006, 12:52 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Quote:
Sonnenwende,

I think you mistook Terre Haute for Indianapolis. I've only flown over and into Indianapolis, so I'm not qualified to comment on that city, but I have had the pleasure to spend a bit of time in lovely Terre Haute, the home of Terre Haute Federal Correctional Complex, Lincoln Park Speedway, wifebeater T-shirts and Benzene Hexachloride.
I'd say either you're an eternal optimist, Sonnenwende, or you've been very lucky not to have lived in a place you wanted to run from!
Brussels sounds like a real contender. Is that why the sprouts are named after it, I wonder?
I think I have just been lucky. We'll see if the luck continues. I'm coming back to the US for a few weeks this December and I am going to poke around the main contenders and see what I think in person. Maybe I'll be back to post on this thread afterwards? Haha!

The funny thing about Belgium was that for as bad as Brussels was, Antwerp was times better. It was clean, the people were helpful and friendly, there wasn't graffiti over every square inch. It looked like, for the most part, people took some pride in where they lived. Now, I didn't go through every square meter of the city, but I did see enough that I got a positive impression of it.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:59 PM

753 posts, read 758,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post

I would say that the worst city I have ever been to ever was actually Brussels, Belgium. Hard to believe that piece of crap is where they set up the EU headquarters at. All of their monuments were covered in graffiti. There were literally hills of trash bags, opened by street dogs, litter everywhere. Food was left to rot on window sills. The people were insanely rude. The guy from the hostel I was staying at took me across the street to the other building where the dorms where. Someone seriously tried to run him over. Aiming directly for him. All the women were afraid to go out at night. The men mostly of Middle Eastern decent were waiting for all the Western foriegn whores to come out.
Hi,

Outside the US I would say the worst place ever is Hull, England. Sonn's description above would be entirely suitable if you took away the EU Headquarters and changed the "Western foreign" phrase with just "local".

The worst place I have ever seen back on home shores would have to be Gary, IN. Dante himself couldn't have penned a description of the view from the skyway.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:10 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Quote:
Cosmic,

Yep, you know Chelsea pretty well! It's been a long time, but I wonder if that Mexican restaurant was there in the Back Bay so long ago.....I would have liked to have given it a try.

Cosmic, I'd love to know your contenders for the best place to live in the USA. It sounds like you've been around a bit!
That Mexican restauant was there a long time ago, probably still is. IIRC you had to go further up that alley, like a little past the Fire Station. The alley was between Boylston / Newberry.

The sad thing I don't really have any super best places to live in the USA. Today I guess the plan is avoid all major population centers. So I try to get by in SE Ohio. Sort of works, you can be far enough out of the loop but still sort of connected. The features that make all those town so undesirable have been exported to just about every place in the USA, tiny to large, lot of it is a matter of degree. Very difficult to find Paradise anywhere in the World. Way too many people looking for it.

One of my brothers even tried the Phillipines, I guess that sort of works, is back in the USA once a year. Maybe the secret is travel a lot and be a moving target. Once you are committed to one place, the negatives seem to ooze out.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:07 AM

19 posts, read 162,083 times
I don't have the time to read all of these posts, but I would say Gary Indiana is THE worst. High crime rate (murder rate per capita is consistently at the top of the list year after year), very poor air quality - driving on the Indiana Toll Road says it all - miles and miles of industrial landscape with hundreds of smokestacks spewing out the most putrid stink known to man. Also, it seems as if there are old abandoned buildings and churches everywhere, not to mention there might be more boarded up houses in Gary than occupied ones. If there aren't enough gangbangers in this area of NW Indiana, then you have plenty of imbred hicks. This city has to be the most economically-depressed area I have ever seen in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.