Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2006, 09:32 PM

23 posts, read 53,845 times

Advertisements

I want to hear more Baltimore experiences. We visited downtown, saw the Orioles play and, given the advice from a travel agency who told us that our hotel would be just a few blocks' walk from the stadium, we walked after the game..in the pitch dark...scared to death..some ten blocks before we finally saw the hotel where we had checked in during daylight hours. People must have thought we were nuts..we all walked close to the curb with the one-way traffic lighting each of us until we got safely there. Never, ever again, listening to travel people who have no idea of what they're talking about or the areas of the country that they are advising people on! Anybody else gotten bad travel advice--winding up in a h**llhole of a situation that could have turned out really bad?

Old 11-26-2006, 09:42 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
Was Miami mentioned?

Old 11-27-2006, 08:22 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,456,870 times
Two more votes for crummiest town:Lincoln Park and Melvindale, Michigan

Old 11-27-2006, 09:25 AM

250 posts, read 930,587 times
OK I've read all 16 pages and am still trying to figure out what "makes" a crumby town! Is it crime? Overpopulation? Run down buildings? terrible schools? weather? or a combination of those?

Oh yeah, BLue grass I'd agree with you about Melvindale, but it's the only place in MI that my husband could find a decent (albeit not a very stomach friendly) paying job!!! So Melvindale gives me a slight "warm fuzzy"

Old 11-27-2006, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 51,461 times
Default My guess for Dancocal's question

Chicago, but it's got too many other thingsgoing for it to qualify as worst place. Food, culture, lakefront to name but a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
Guess....

1 - sic winters
2 - like any uber large city Gangs, crime, and pollution
3 - bone jarring potholes
4 - ridiculous traffic
5 - scary schools
6 - killer real estate taxes
7 - worst drivers outside of tjuana
8 - parking, what's that ?
9 - foreign nationals driving down down the street waiving
their flag honking the horn (if mexico, puerto rico, and
poland are so great, why are they here ?)
10- having to pay full price for a AAA baseball team (not family friendly;
unless your kids watch HBO)

Old 11-27-2006, 08:15 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,775,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Was Miami mentioned?
You cannot POSSIBLY consider Miami to be one of the worst places!!!
Please!

Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
Miami has gone so far downhill in my few years on earth, it scares me to think how bad it will get! It's now extremely unaffordable. full of crime (as always) and as flat and ugly as any other poverty stricken city,except in exclusive areas. In greater Miami cookie cutter homes sit on filled in wetlands, priced from the mid 500's. The weather is beyond horrible for 9 months, so much so that no one wants to opentheir windows. Oh yes we have the tiny beaches with no parking and fossils laying in the sun waiting to die. Oh and don't forget those super high Mc wages! Speak Spanish? You better if you want to communicate. Like LA traffic, you'll love Miami! Also have to love the friendly people who use sign language to express how happy they are to see you. The only people who love Miami are those not born there or who are rich. The rest of us leave, how often do you see a Miami native?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,368,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooncatJR View Post
I want to hear more Baltimore experiences. We visited downtown, saw the Orioles play and, given the advice from a travel agency who told us that our hotel would be just a few blocks' walk from the stadium, we walked after the game..in the pitch dark...scared to death..some ten blocks before we finally saw the hotel where we had checked in during daylight hours. People must have thought we were nuts..we all walked close to the curb with the one-way traffic lighting each of us until we got safely there. Never, ever again, listening to travel people who have no idea of what they're talking about or the areas of the country that they are advising people on! Anybody else gotten bad travel advice--winding up in a h**llhole of a situation that could have turned out really bad?
Baltimore ole Baltimore.
You have Camden Yards, The Inner Harbor, Fells Point, and Little Italy.
Outside of that you take your life in your hands unless you know the territory.

I like Baltimore, it's rough, but if you know the roads you can have a great time.
The Birds, The Crabs, The Harbor.
Of course again, if you take a wrong turn you may get the Bird, catch the Crabs or end up at the bottom of the Harbor

If you want to go to B'more again feel free to PM me.
Can give you directions to a safe, fun, time.

The issue in Baltimore is simple. Years of super Liberal leadership that has ran amuk, criminals go unpunished, panhandling is ignored, and the Mayor's ugh.
Not to worry, the last winner they had O'Malley is now the Governor. Good Luck Maryland. You think your taxes are high now

Old 11-28-2006, 06:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Ill add a few:

Aurora, IL
Phoenix, AZ
Pontiac, MI
Barstow, CA
Amarillo, TX

And last but certainly not least:

Nogales, AZ Hands down the scummiest, rottingest (is that a word? lol), dumpiest, ghettoest, trashiest, filthiest, steaming pile of dump ever heaped onto planet earth. By faaaarrrrrr.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:27 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,456,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Nogales, AZ Hands down the scummiest, rottingest (is that a word? lol), dumpiest, ghettoest, trashiest, filthiest, steaming pile of dump ever heaped onto planet earth. By faaaarrrrrr.
How could i forget that town...maybe because Nogales, Mexico took attention away from the U.S. side of town.

Agree though!

If Nogales had a town bird emblem, it would be the vulture, they hang around all over the place down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.