Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:53 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoons
The one that comes to mind for some reason is Lumberton, NC, though I don't recall enough about it to remember why. A lot of the Midwest seems painfully dull, and Evansville, IN is a meth-riddled example. Gary is a second crummy IN town. Newark, NJ looks and smells awful, though I read a great piece on their new mayor who seems intent on cleaning it up. Of the major cities, New Orleans and Detroit have got to be the worst. In my native Maryland, I'd have to go with Suitland (lots of homicides, very unsafe), Dundalk (Newark for rednecks) and Luke (polluted mountain town that has been pretty much abandoned).
That's a good list. I've been to Luke, MD on railroad history trips and the paper mill there is the best & worst thing to ever happen to those people. It's a shame we can't make anything in this country without polluting the daylights out of the water, air, ground and people.

s/Mike

Old 07-25-2006, 04:05 PM

158 posts, read 814,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo
I know that I am going to get many people disagreeing with me, because a lot of people like it for it's culture, but I lived there for 32 years, so I am entitled to think I know what I am talking about

1. Check out their crime rate!
2. I subscribe to the Philadelphia Daily News, even where I live now, just to remind me of why I left, and the amount of murders....it's disgusting.
3. Their public schools (I was a public school teacher)
4. The trash that is absolutely littering all over the place
5. The dime baggies and crack vials, and bullet casings that I have found even in some of the "better" neighborhoods
6. The prositution that is all over certain neighborhoods, hidden or very prominent
7. the filthy, smelly public transportation (I have taken the subway, el and various buses throughout my life!)
8. over priced housing for very small square footage, without any land (and usually, without it being a single home)
9. the ignorance of sooo many of the people that live there (and this is in all races, not just one)
10. the gangs
Most of that stuff is true, to an extent, but Philly is also home to an Ivy League university, a great art museum, and a ton of other cultural places. The nasty areas are really bad, but the nice areas are also something special...

Old 07-25-2006, 07:19 PM

11 posts, read 26,302 times
I'll agree about evansville. I have alot of family there, and they enjoy it because it's all they know, but it is secluded and there is no culture. Unless of course tractors and farmers are culture to you. Other than that, you can forget about it. Plus, no night life what so ever. Unless you want bars. Which are okay, but every once in a while, entertainmnet would be nice.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 AM

16 posts, read 43,559 times
Default Borger, TX

It's a little town about 60 miles northeast of Amarillo. The place smells like rottem eggs from the Phillips refinery and the carbon black plants. Population is about 12,000 or so and half of them are meth heads. No employment so everyone is poor except for a handful of people. Nothing to do for the kids. And there is a good chance that 8 out of 10 people you meet is an alcoholic. Police there are lazy and pretty corrupt. So Borger,TX is my vote. If you ever have a chance to visit, DON'T !!!!

Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
I used to defend Philadelphia but not anymore. I agree that there is a great social and cultural scene downtown and in surrounding College areas but overall the city is a decaying dump!

Reading PA, New Bedford, Detroit Mi, and Newark NJ easily qualify in this category.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:16 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Holy cow! After reading all of your responses so far, I definitely am not going to post mine ...it would be almost embarrassing! Man, I guess I got to get out more. I had no idea that there are so many "armpits" in this country!

Yeah, great topic, Magpies.

--'rocco

Old 07-27-2006, 02:46 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo
I know that I am going to get many people disagreeing with me, because a lot of people like it for it's culture, but I lived there for 32 years, so I am entitled to think I know what I am talking about

1. Check out their crime rate!
2. I subscribe to the Philadelphia Daily News, even where I live now, just to remind me of why I left, and the amount of murders....it's disgusting.
3. Their public schools (I was a public school teacher)
4. The trash that is absolutely littering all over the place
5. The dime baggies and crack vials, and bullet casings that I have found even in some of the "better" neighborhoods
6. The prositution that is all over certain neighborhoods, hidden or very prominent
7. the filthy, smelly public transportation (I have taken the subway, el and various buses throughout my life!)
8. over priced housing for very small square footage, without any land (and usually, without it being a single home)
9. the ignorance of sooo many of the people that live there (and this is in all races, not just one)
10. the gangs
I would like to nominate Camden, NJ - right outside of Philadelphia and all of the above issues apply. I have read that 1 out of 4 Camden residents have been arrested at one point or another, and as of last year they had the highest murder rate in the country (not sure if they still hold this esteemed title).

Old 07-27-2006, 05:50 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,905 times
Default not the worst , just over rated

Guess....

1 - sic winters
2 - like any uber large city Gangs, crime, and pollution
3 - bone jarring potholes
4 - ridiculous traffic
5 - scary schools
6 - killer real estate taxes
7 - worst drivers outside of tjuana
8 - parking, what's that ?
9 - foreign nationals driving down down the street waiving
their flag honking the horn (if mexico, puerto rico, and
poland are so great, why are they here ?)
10- having to pay full price for a AAA baseball team (not family friendly;
unless your kids watch HBO)

Old 07-28-2006, 02:54 AM

82 posts, read 542,041 times
Stab in the dark: Bridgeport, CT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal
Guess....

1 - sic winters
2 - like any uber large city Gangs, crime, and pollution
3 - bone jarring potholes
4 - ridiculous traffic
5 - scary schools
6 - killer real estate taxes
7 - worst drivers outside of tjuana
8 - parking, what's that ?
9 - foreign nationals driving down down the street waiving
their flag honking the horn (if mexico, puerto rico, and
poland are so great, why are they here ?)
10- having to pay full price for a AAA baseball team (not family friendly;
unless your kids watch HBO)

Old 07-28-2006, 03:20 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,349 times
Default Cottonwood, AZ

Lived in Cottonwood, AZ long enough to hate it! Summers are in the triple digits (dry heat my a**!).

Scorpions, tartanulas! No scenery at all except ugly desert! Jobs pay terrible, and housing is going up due to Californians coming in with the huge profits from selling their homes.

NOTHING to do in Cottonwood! boring, boring, boring.

Oh, and must mention the "no seeums"....those tiny nearly invisible little insects that will eat you alive!

Need I say more?

katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.