Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2006, 04:16 PM

16 posts, read 162,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Detroit-segregated, poor planning, many factories within city limits-functional and nonfunctional, the (supposed) jewel of Detroit-Belle Isle is a party ground, too many ghettos in one city, "proud" politicians, bad air, bad transit system (pratically nonexistent).

Just to point out a few...

Other towns/cities:

El Paso, TX
Phoenix, AZ
L.A., CA
Little Rock, AR
Sedona, AZ
Snowflake-Taylor,AZ
What's wrong with Sedona? We visited there and it's very beautiful. Touristy, yeah, and probably hot in the summer, but geez compared to Camden New Jersey, it's Honolulu.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:44 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,456,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNewYork View Post
What's wrong with Sedona? We visited there and it's very beautiful.
Such a nice and beautiful place to be infested by "weirdos"! That is my complaint about Sedona!

An artsy-fartsy new-age town!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:13 AM

850 posts, read 3,149,508 times
Only because I have lived in this county since I was 12 years old do I feel able to comment on this.

Lebanon Junction, in Bullitt County KY - the armpit of the county.

Small town, dinosaur attitudes about growth " no new people to contaminate this town" is a statement made by a city council member.

Mayor voted in this November won because he is related to over half the town, and ran only for spite due to a fight with current/outgoing mayor.

School system 1 full year behind school district in Mt. Washington - 20 minutes away.

Close minded does not begin to describe it - as there are no African Americans living in this town - and when they visit (some friends of mine) I always have to tell them apologetically NOT to visit the local mini mart.

When I-65 was built years ago, the council and most citizens did not want access given to the town. Eventually, an off ramp was built, but there was no way to get back on. Citizens actually went to city council in the 1980's to attempt to stop the addition of an on-ramp - siting undesirable people would be stopping in this town.

Okay - I have raised my children here - but looking back, would not have if I had had other possibilities. Their education at the designated high school was less than 3rd rate - as I related to another on a thead yesterday concerning his special needs child. If I could do it over, they would have been home schooled at the very least.

I have said enough - and maybe too much. There are some decent people here, but if you look cross-eyed at someone it will be around the town before you can uncross them!

Gossip, no job opportunities, and water so bad we receive letters in the mail every year or so warning us the water has exceeded limits of cancer causing agents. I spend a fortune in bottled water. Won't even give it to my pets!

A wonderful place to be....

Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 PM

944 posts, read 3,943,790 times
What a fun thread!

My vote goes to just about any city in the San Joaquin Valley of California, like Bakersfield or, uhhh, Bakersfield.

Why?
1. Hot smog in summer
2. cold fog in winter
3. rapid growth simply because it's a cheap way to be within 2 hours of LA
4. culturally deprived
5. ugly
6. flat and sprawling
7. smells bad
8. I grew up in Santa Barbara so I'm a snob who always hated Bakersfield!

Old 12-28-2006, 02:26 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,510,816 times
Gossip, no job opportunities, and water so bad we receive letters in the mail every year or so warning us the water has exceeded limits of cancer causing agents. I spend a fortune in bottled water. Won't even give it to my pets!

The incorporated city mailed you that info?. That's unusual. We drove through Hazard, Ky. Wow, I never realized place like that still existed.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:52 PM

26 posts, read 113,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Such a nice and beautiful place to be infested by "weirdos"! That is my complaint about Sedona!

An artsy-fartsy new-age town!
Oh right, hearing about 'the vortex' was pretty weird.... and all those crystal shops.... better'n gang bangers, though.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:30 PM

61 posts, read 259,306 times
Default Newport, TN (Cocke County)

Newport, TN (Cocke County). The name of the county says it all, but this place is populated by uneducated hillbillies, corupt cops, judges and leaders. One of the schools principles was arrested for possesion of a gun and attempted murder of his gf, but yet he's STILL the Principle. They treat newcomers, or what they call "outsiders" like crap. This is Hillbilly, inbred hell.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,456,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYr View Post
Oh right, hearing about 'the vortex' was pretty weird.... and all those crystal shops.... better'n gang bangers, though.
Good point about the gang-banger part. It seems to be a relatively safe neighborhood.It is not my cup of tea so to speak.It's a shame such a beautiful area that is being transformed to Yuppieville, U.S.A. That is another part of my complaint.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:17 AM

23 posts, read 96,736 times
Default Worst Cities: Riviera Beach, Tampa, Belle Glade, Etc

Well, besides the humidity, bugs, alligators, urban sprawl, shopping malls and outlets (that would give NJ a run for it's money), and alta-cockers (abnoxious, old people) driving homicidal "condo cruisers," aka Crown Vics and 79 Fleetwoods; Florida has it's share of worst cities:

1. Belle Glade- Migrant worker town (sugar cane industry) with high crime and the highest incidence of HIV outside of Washington, DC.

2. Riviera Beach- Very high crime, gangbanging, prositution, drugs, and homelessness. This once beautiful city (just north of Cleamtis St, West Palm) is now home to some of the worst narcotics related violence in the country

3. Tampa- Oye Vey. Poor, ignorant, toothless, uneducated trailer park trash, violent crime (second highest road rage in the USA), and urban sprawl. Little or no culture (Ybor City is a poor excuse, it is still a rundown area that were once filled with seedy cigar making factories but now house cheesy clubs and bars that are the cultural equivalent of a West Texas saloon).

4. Miami- One of the poorest cities in the country (for those of you who do not know Florida
Miami Beach and Coral Gables is not part of the city of Miami it is separate town and does not count) .

One of the poorest cities outside of 3rd world country. Miami's Design district is considered the "snatch'n grab capital of the USA."

5. Outside of Florida, I would definately list Los Angeles, Newark, Detroit, Flint, and Philadelphia.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:21 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,510,816 times
Question Interesting-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca to Santa Barbara View Post
Well, besides the humidity, bugs, alligators, urban sprawl, shopping malls and outlets (that would give NJ a run for it's money), and alta-cockers (abnoxious, old people) driving homicidal "condo cruisers," aka Crown Vics and 79 Fleetwoods; Florida has it's share of worst cities:

1. Belle Glade- Migrant worker town (sugar cane industry) with high crime and the highest incidence of HIV outside of Washington, DC.

2. Riviera Beach- Very high crime, gangbanging, prositution, drugs, and homelessness. This once beautiful city (just north of Cleamtis St, West Palm) is now home to some of the worst narcotics related violence in the country

3. Tampa- Oye Vey. Poor, ignorant, toothless, uneducated trailer park trash, violent crime (second highest road rage in the USA), and urban sprawl. Little or no culture (Ybor City is a poor excuse, it is still a rundown area that were once filled with seedy cigar making factories but now house cheesy clubs and bars that are the cultural equivalent of a West Texas saloon).

4. Miami- One of the poorest cities in the country (for those of you who do not know Florida
Miami Beach and Coral Gables is not part of the city of Miami it is separate town and does not count) .

One of the poorest cities outside of 3rd world country. Miami's Design district is considered the "snatch'n grab capital of the USA."

5. Outside of Florida, I would definately list Los Angeles, Newark, Detroit, Flint, and Philadelphia.

That is interesting, about Belle Glade- we happened to drive through there on the way back to Boca from Captiva once- where are those statistics from? It was very remote, and people living in squalor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.