Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 05:17 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times

Advertisements

youngstown
flint
d.c. up until a few years ago
lima, oh

Old 04-14-2008, 05:47 PM

13 posts, read 36,990 times
Lincoln, IL (or any other tiny, ugly, dying, crap-hole town near it).

Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
youngstown
flint
d.c. up until a few years ago
lima, oh
Just wondering if you've ever been to Youngstown?

Old 04-15-2008, 04:36 PM

84 posts, read 297,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Los Angeles, California
1. 300 illegal immigrants move here every day
2. And they all hate anyone who's not them
3. And trash your neighborhood, blasting stadium-worthy P.A. systems that rattle windows of houses 5 blocks away. And promulgate the gang mentality of retaliation and macho nastiness.
4. We are the violent gang capital of the nation, meaning the violent gangs pervade more communities here, not just slum parts.
5. Smog is pervasive to every corner except those communities next to the ocean.
6. 4 million people inner city and 10 million total county-wide is just too many no matter how spread out we are.
7. Public transportation to these far-flung locales is anemic at best
8. It takes an hour to drive anywhere no matter where you want to go, and 3 hours during rush hours (6 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
9. No one speaks English voluntarily, and most don't speak any at all.
10.They outlawed purebred dogs this year with mandatory spay and neutering.
Had to have an 11. We retain only a 28% population of middle class, as opposed to 50% elsewhere in all U.S. cities. That means this is city for the filthy rich, or poor people crammed 14 to a house who serve the rich. Nothing affordable or available for normal, middle class working Americans.
yeah and if you HAVE to work in LA but want a safe place that even comes close to affordable to raise your kids... then there's only Santa Clarita! yuck. no offense to any Santa Claritans or anything but it feels like LA's version of Bakersfield. Plus it still takes 2 hours ONE way to commute to work!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:46 PM

84 posts, read 297,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Those of us who have suffered from living in Houston feel offended that we have not been included in the list of suckiest places to live. How dare you guys forget Houston!
Hot, humid; Texans who think they are special just because they are from Texas; overly sensitive to everything, so you have to adjust your personality to so many people you think you must be Sybil; a city of the haves and have nots--especially since Katrina; etc., etc., etc.
Houston is just a dull, boring, over WalMarted, big box stored FRANCHISE loving restauranted city...zzzzzzzz.... Houston's slogan should be something like, "guaranteed to put you to sleep."

oh gawd i totally agree. houston's terrible. then there are the ones who live in the so-called "nicer" parts of houston i.e. sugarland who think they are SSOOOO much better than everyone else. i visited and regretted it. rednecks with a couple of dollar bills. oh yeah.. and no offense or anything.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:00 PM

27 posts, read 95,217 times
Ok - I have lived in quite a few states - NY, Fla, Va, De and Tenn and I have to say out of all of these states Memphis Tennessee has got to be the worst place I ever lived. Summers are hot and sticky and downtown Memphis is dirty with homeless people all over - definately qualifies for "ARMPIT" as far as I am concerned.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:15 PM

40 posts, read 153,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Sorry to momentarily hijack this thread.

I feel I must respond due to the overwhelming ignorance on part of the posters regarding Philadelphia.

Does Philadlephia have troubled neighborhoods? Yes

Are Philadlephias better neighborhoods teeming with slums? No

Does Philadlephia belong anywhere remotely close to being in this thread?(Crummiest friggin town in America) Absolutely not.

Does Philadlephia have tress? You bet it does. The most of any city in the country according to the american arbor soceity.

Statements like those posted above are the reason why I absolutely despise coming onto these boards. Clueless unlearned people making ignorant incorrect remarks about places they've never been to and know nothing about. Philadlephia is 135 Sq. Miles Ohiogirl81 + Moonlightsadness. Its a huge city and the lemmings that you are probably think the entire city is teeming with slums but you would be woefully misguided but why doesn't that surprise me? Of those 135 Sq Miles perhaps 35 sq miles you should contemplate getting a bulldozer and starting over. Ohiogirl, There is alot more to Philadelphia than slums, I hate to disappoint you so.

Read a book, do some research, then tell us why your statement is true, or more likely why your prior statement isn't true. If you don't know what you are talking about its best to keep your false beliefs to yourself.

Philadelphia has more trees in its city limits than any city in the country. Theres your first bit of learned knowledge for today. Fairmount Park spreads 11 sq. miles which is 11 times as large as NY Central Park and 1/4 of the size of SF and Boston.

Heres a few pics of tree deprived Philadephia and a few of its teeming slums .You may contemplate sparing yourself the embarrasment next time.

This goes out to all the cities that get trashed upon by ignorance.

Treeless Philadelphia?

http://i5.pbase.com/g6/18/747618/2/73904417.wkoPIRer.jpg (broken link)

Teeming Slums of Philadlephia

Was actually considering visiting here..Beautiful pictures

Old 04-19-2008, 04:20 PM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
Sterling, Kansas- i moved there, they were so nice! than after a month or two everyone there were jerks! they treated me like crap because im from the big city Detroit, not even close to Kansas. Im sure Sterling isnt the only town in Kansas like that!!

South Hutchinson, Kansas- that suburb of craptown USA is so ugly and dirty, full of old warehouses and very ugly houses and stores on the main street, ugh, hated going through there!

Gary, Indiana- that place smells so bad, and so much crime, full of ugly abandond factories no longer in use, it totally makes the short strech of the Indiana Lakeshore look teribble.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:15 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Just wondering if you've ever been to Youngstown?
i have. my impression was that it was economically done and decades away from any renaissance. it doesn't look as bad as some say, but it is evident youngstown is that bad.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:19 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
As I read each of these posts, and think back on my many travels across the US, I'm led to say: What is to one man (or woman) an armpit, is to another man (or woman), a paradise!

It's all about connections to a place, family, friends, and passions. If you have those, you can live in the Arctic tundra and be perfectly content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.