Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,001 times

Advertisements

My 28 month old son was recently diagnosed with Mild to Moderate high functioning Autism.

My work has been very accepting and has told me that I can move practically anywhere that we will think he will get the best treatment. I would like to know people's opinion of where they think he can get the best help not only now but in the up-coming years.

I work in Oil and Gas industry, so Ideally, it would be great if the place has some natural resources around (Houston, Dallas, Denver, Pittsburgh and Oklahoma City all contain big offices for my company), but that is secondary at this point.

Please let me know about both the school systems and any early intervention programs the state may run. Also if ABA therapy is covered in this city/state and how hard it is to get this type of help.

Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 AM

79 posts, read 205,021 times
We also have this dilemma, as our daughter is autistic with moderate functioning. It's a definite shock, and I remember beating myself up for a few years.

The best way that I have found to learn about what services are available is to connect with the Autism Society of America and look at the state-by-state resources on their "resources" page. Though not a rule, larger metro areas often have a lot more services and autism-friendly providers than do smaller rural areas.

You can also look into some of the universities around your area; many of them have programs designed for autism in connection with their special education curriculums, though I have found that larger public universities often have the ABA programs.

Other important programs for any child with autism include occupational therapy (daily skills living for children), speech therapy (speech is generally an issue with autism), and programs which provide daily floor time where the child can interact with other children as well as special education faculty and students.

In my area, Western Kentucky University has a program called STAR, which works extensively with autistic and developmentally-delayed children.

From my experience, the Albany NY area has a lot of autism resources, but again, each child is different and I would first look at the Austism Society of America's resources to determine which areas have programs which meet your family's and son's specific needs. In our case, our daughter mostly needed the speech therapy, social skills training, and ABA.

If you wish to, please email me with more questions or specifics of your particular situation. My daughter is now 10, and I definitely have a lot of experience in cutting through the red tape involved with getting services for her and acting as an advocate.

Good luck, and please let me know if you have additional questions.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:02 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
My daughter has high functioning autism and goes to this school: Jowonio School
I have noticed a difference since she's gone to school there and is a very inclusive school.

My wife and I advocated for her to get these services through our school district and had testing done to make sure she had what we thought was the case. Here's some more about autism in my area in terms of resources and suggestions: https://www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...-syracuse.html

autism | syracuse.com

Readers offer lots of advice for children with autism | Family Life Blog - syracuse.com

I hope this helps.....

Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,848 times
I have some friends whose son went through the EEU (The Haring Center) on the campus of the University of WA in Seattle. They claim it was a lifesaver so to speak.

I've been to charity auctions there and toured the facility. An amazing place, with a gifted staff that gives a rip.

They are doing the Lord's work there for sure. Good luck. Seattle is a great place to live as well.

Experimental Education Unit - EEU | Haring Center

Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,093 times
Default re; autistic child

Hi ,my son is 7 and autistic...so i can relate to your dilemma....We live on long island new york and are lucky enough to have a fantastic school district where he has recieved 1-1 services since being diagnosed.Not sure if your job has anything going on here but if it does and i can help in any way...let me know...Chris O'Brien
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.