Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 16,740 times

Advertisements

As a divorced man in my later 50s with a long term girlfriend about the same age we're looking to relocate from the Capitol District of New York to someplace without the cold and snow. We don't live together full time but will when we move. We hope to move within a year or two.

Let me tell you what we like and don't like about where we live and maybe you can make a suggestion.

We like that within a 2 mile walk of my house (on sidewalks) there is a library with over 500,000 books, a half-dozen convenience stores, a half-dozen diners/restaurants, a huge supermarket, and a strip mall with another supermarket and a Wal-Mart as well as other stores. My commute to work is 6 miles and takes less than 15 minutes door to door. Her house isn't as convenient for shopping & dining, but she can walk to work in less than 10 minutes. We also like that within 20 miles there are about 10 public golf courses, none of which charge more than $30 for a walking round. In the summer it's really nice- it rarely reaches 90 degrees and the humidity is reasonable. The scenery around the cities is beautiful, hills with mountains in the distance. We have movie theaters, live theater, concerts of all kinds, museums, and lots of locally owned (not chain) restaurants.

What we don't like- number one is winter. Months of cold weather, leaden skies for weeks on end, feet of snow. The cost of living is number two. Income taxes, property taxes, school taxes, sales taxes- you name it the is at least one level of government that taxes it, and sets the rate as high as it can get away with. Automobile insurance rates, gas prices, etc. etc. etc. Government regulations and restrictions on everything. Plus the golf courses are closed 5 months a year.

We've looked around some and do have some ideas of where we don't want to live- the desert because we think water is a long range concern, or any development we've seen. We both find mile after mile of nearly identical houses (or worse- McMansions) and strip malls to be depressing.

Schools aren't a concern, the kids are grown and moved out. Crime, particularly street crime, is. We like to walk places and don't want to feel we can't.

I put retire in quotes in the title because we're both healthy and will probably want to work part time but that's not really a consideration for the location. We're not rich but we should be ok after we retire.

Our dream of course would to find somplace with everything we like and nothing we dislike. Just a dream, no place is perfect, but maybe someplace comes close. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:25 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times
Cookeville, Tennessee is the place to retire.

cookeville tourism - Yahoo! Search Results

Old 12-08-2009, 04:27 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Does sound like you might be describing some place in TN, maybe Cookeville or places even further east. Around Knoxville, Chattanooga or in the tri-cities area perhaps.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Don't know what you want to spend. But I would seriously look at Seal Beach, CA

Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,195 times
FLORIDA

That's where 90% of the retired go to

Although it's Hot & Humid for 6 months, and very flat.

Otherwise, try Coastal California. San Diego?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdad View Post
As a divorced man in my later 50s with a long term girlfriend about the same age we're looking to relocate from the Capitol District of New York to someplace without the cold and snow. We don't live together full time but will when we move. We hope to move within a year or two.

Let me tell you what we like and don't like about where we live and maybe you can make a suggestion.

We like that within a 2 mile walk of my house (on sidewalks) there is a library with over 500,000 books, a half-dozen convenience stores, a half-dozen diners/restaurants, a huge supermarket, and a strip mall with another supermarket and a Wal-Mart as well as other stores. My commute to work is 6 miles and takes less than 15 minutes door to door. Her house isn't as convenient for shopping & dining, but she can walk to work in less than 10 minutes. We also like that within 20 miles there are about 10 public golf courses, none of which charge more than $30 for a walking round. In the summer it's really nice- it rarely reaches 90 degrees and the humidity is reasonable. The scenery around the cities is beautiful, hills with mountains in the distance. We have movie theaters, live theater, concerts of all kinds, museums, and lots of locally owned (not chain) restaurants.

What we don't like- number one is winter. Months of cold weather, leaden skies for weeks on end, feet of snow. The cost of living is number two. Income taxes, property taxes, school taxes, sales taxes- you name it the is at least one level of government that taxes it, and sets the rate as high as it can get away with. Automobile insurance rates, gas prices, etc. etc. etc. Government regulations and restrictions on everything. Plus the golf courses are closed 5 months a year.

We've looked around some and do have some ideas of where we don't want to live- the desert because we think water is a long range concern, or any development we've seen. We both find mile after mile of nearly identical houses (or worse- McMansions) and strip malls to be depressing.

Schools aren't a concern, the kids are grown and moved out. Crime, particularly street crime, is. We like to walk places and don't want to feel we can't.

I put retire in quotes in the title because we're both healthy and will probably want to work part time but that's not really a consideration for the location. We're not rich but we should be ok after we retire.

Our dream of course would to find somplace with everything we like and nothing we dislike. Just a dream, no place is perfect, but maybe someplace comes close. Any suggestions?
I have a list very similiar to yours. It can be very difficult for some to find the place that meets their needs. Others seem to find their place very quickly. There really are not alot of options out there, not even in a country as big as ours. If you want to be on or near the East Coast its going to basically be from NC/Tenn down to Fla. and the gulf coastal states. The trouble is finding a place in those states that really meets your needs. I find just about any place in the Southern States is seriously lacking in walkability.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times
The 4 or 5 square mile area north of downtown Dallas (Uptown, LoMac, West Village, Knox-Henderson, Oak Lawn) would meet your needs for density, urban walkability, warm(er) winters and friendly people. It is well connected to much of Dallas and surrounding suburbs by a good rail transit system, and there is a free street trolley line down McKinney Avenue, one of the main drags.

Uptown Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 AM

341 posts, read 678,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
FLORIDA

Can you tell me where you got this statistic from, that 90% of retired people go to Florida? You can just provide the link or the name of the source please. Thank you in advance!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
FLORIDA

I love Florida and it is a great place to live and retire to, but 90% ???

If you choose Florida, The Villages, Naples, Sarasota, Clearwater, Vero Beach, or maybe also Palm Coast or Ponte Vedra Beach are some great smaller to midsized areas with several retirees and more walkable areas, beachfronts, golf courses, etc.

The major cities Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jax, etc are all mainly filled with students and families.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:20 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdad View Post

Pleasanton, Ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.