Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:49 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,496 times

Advertisements

I currently speak three languages (English, Aramaic, Swedish), and want to learn either French or Spanish. I LOVE French, because it's romantic language, and I love France & Paris and its culture. Spanish is nice too, but not as romantic and beautiful as French.
I always hear Spanish everywhere in NJ, and I know it's useful in the U.S. Even though Spanish is spoken widely in the U.S., I still LOVE French! I wish I spoke it already fluently

I know French is more difficult to learn than Spanish, and less useful in the U.S.
None of my family speak either of the languages, but I still want to learn my fouth languages, because I love speaking another language.
What should I pick & do? Please help me!

I learned English at school in Sweden, but I'm not 100% fluently, but improved much much better since I moved to the U.S. for 2.5 years ago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Noone?

Old 11-22-2009, 04:09 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
Spanish. It will be very useful for you, far more than French.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:17 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Spanish. Spanish may sound ugly to you now, but it can be a really, really beautiful language in the right places, and in my opinion more romantic than french. Spanish is the better, more worth it language here in the US, though french is the better one if you want to travel to French areas for a temporary period of time

Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
From the sound of it, you´ve already made up your mind. Spanish would be more useful for you in the US, but if you really want to learn French, go ahead and do so. They are both wonderful languages.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
From the sound of it, you´ve already made up your mind. Spanish would be more useful for you in the US, but if you really want to learn French, go ahead and do so. They are both wonderful languages.
I want to learn both, but I know it's impossible

Old 11-22-2009, 08:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I want to learn both, but I know it's impossible
Is it the constraint of time or money? Because if you have both you can learn both languages.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:54 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Once you learn one Romance language it's much easier to learn the next one. I originally studied French in High School and then went back to study Spanish later on. I will occasionally confuse words between the two languages, but my knowledge of French helped me in understanding French. Spanish is very useful because, more so than French, it's has a lot of close similarities to Italian and Portuguese--I have Italian friends who say they can understand most spoken Spanish while Portuguese shares a lot of the same vocabulary with Spanish. And if you wish to do any traveling in Latin America or much of Southern Europe, knowledge of Spanish is incredibly advantageous.

But French is a beautiful language as well. But I've found it much more difficult then Spanish, especially some of the more difficult pronunciations.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:02 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Do you plan on working with French-speaking clients or traveling through the Francosphere? I chose French over Spanish in high school and continue to speak it to this day and it's been surprisingly useful. As you're already multilingual, you might find French a lot more useful than you might expect as I did since there seems to be an unequal supply for the demand of dual French and Mandarin speakers.

Also, there are many varieties of Spanish and some of them I've found to be very beautiful. Perhaps you should look into the different varieties of Spanish and see if you can find someone to teach you a specific variety (Argentinean Spanish, maybe?).

Old 11-23-2009, 01:07 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
French, because you seem to have a preference for it. It being "not useful" depends on what you do. French is very useful in many sciences, in African or Islamic studies, and in literature. Lots of French business investment in the US as I recall. Although it might be more useful if you're in Maine or Vermont as those two states are near Quebec and have a fairly low number of Spanish speakers.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

And you speak Aramaic? I knew Sweden received a good deal of Assyrian immigrants, but still that's so cool!

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 05:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.