U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,001 times

Advertisements

First-time poster! Be gentle.

My girlfriend and I want to move somewhere laid-back, with good rent (under $400 a month). While we both dislike the busy pace, noise, crime etc of living in a big urban area, we're young (18 and 19) and would love to have things to do, places to go to. We're both in the visual arts, so access to an art scene would be a major plus.

Now, for all of this I think the ideal target would be a small, rural town (for the slow pace and cheap rent) with easy access to a livelier urban area (for the art scene and entertainment on weekends).

Now, the catch- the rural town should be as gay-accepting as it is possible for a rural town to be. We're not obnoxious or flamboyant at all, but we don't want to be closeted. We also have progressive views in general, and I don't think I could stand living in a place where most people don't believe in evolution or are really bigoted.

I'll be going to community college wherever we move to, so I'd like it if it was a more or less educated area. A college town that benefits from having lots of university kids maybe, but has low rent? The Chapel Hill area in NC?

Or maybe the outskirts of a nice, gay-friendly city? Just outside Atlanta, maybe?

Or just a rural town in the northeast or mid-atlantic east coast? How gay-friendly are rural towns in the north?

I'm also considering Columbia, SC because a friend lives in the area but I wonder if that's cutting it a bit close for gay-tolerance. (even though it's supposedly the best place in SC to be gay in, I don't want to deal with being half-closeted or unable to say "this is my girlfriend" without getting ostracized from social circles.)

Or is there some other scenario where I can get
1. laid-back pace
2. art scene
3. educated & open-minded people
4. accepting of a young lesbian couple
5. very cheap rent?

Currently we're in Wisconsin but we can move to anywhere in the country.

Any leads?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:49 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,522,007 times
The only places I know of with rent that low also have few available jobs, and people are often forced to travel very long distances to make a living.

That said, are you open to sharing a house? If so, maybe you could find something somewhere. The most lesbian-friendly town I can think of is Northampton, Massachusetts; it's not rural, but it's not a city, either. It's a college town (Smith College is there, and is part of the Five Colleges, all in the Pioneer Valley), and there are lots of smaller towns not far away. Maybe you could find a cheap room, or, if you up your rent a bit, an apartment. It's a beautiful part of the country, there's a good art scene, laid back, and I've read they have more lesbian couples per capita than anywhere else in the US. You could also easily get into Boston on weekends when you wanted city access.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,246,172 times
Hi and welcome to the forums. You might want to check into Hot Springs Montana, it is very lesbian friendly.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 AM

434 posts, read 1,109,537 times
Oberlin, Ohio (college town on the urban / rural fringe near Cleveland)

City of Oberlin

Old 11-23-2009, 12:47 PM

8,176 posts, read 17,790,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwalk View Post
Oberlin, Ohio (college town on the urban / rural fringe near Cleveland)

City of Oberlin

Oberlin was the 1st town to come to mind. My Aunt and Uncle moved there a couple of years ago. Their daughter and her partner are moving there next week.
I'll be there in Jan. I'm really curious to what all the fuss is about. It sounds like a great place.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 PM

711 posts, read 1,451,015 times
I don,t know of any place that would have rent of 400 or under and be some place that I would want to live. You really should rethink your plans. Your idea of traveling around sounds great but that idea isn,t much fun when your cold and hungry. Judging from just your living expenses of 400 a month I don,t believe your thinking this through fully. Good Luck

Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 PM

7,412 posts, read 9,577,759 times
Chico, CA is sophisticated for such a small city because the university is half the population. Lesbian couples would feel right at home anywhere in California but the cost of renting is higher than $400 even in student neighborhoods.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:29 PM

6,627 posts, read 13,745,186 times
Burlington, Vermont is a small city located in Northern Vermont on Lake Champlain. From what you've described, it sounds like a perfect area for you. The population is just under 40,000, and the area is home to University of Vermont, Champlain College, St.Mike's, Burlington College, and Community College of Vermont, among others.

Surrounding the city is beautiful Lake Champlain, and the Green Mountains. There are plenty of beautiful rural towns surrounding Burlington and it's dirt cheap. The culture of the city is very hippie/artsy-fartsy/college kid. I remember when I was a freshman at nearby Norwich University and a bunch of naked hippies went streaking by us while we were eating at a restaurant on Church Street (beautiful street by the way).

Also, if you smoke pot you'll love Burlington haha. Amazing bud, and it's ridiculously cheap since so much of it comes from north of the border.

As someone mentioned before, North Hampton, MA is another great town to look at.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:33 PM

2,581 posts, read 8,715,452 times
Boone, NC and the surrounding High Country area...though like most everywhere else $400 rent is going to be tough to find in a desirable area.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,245,732 times
Also for Ohio, Yellow Springs, which is probably more lesbian accepting than gay accepting, with a pretty good arts scene. It's close enough to the Dayton metro area to be able to commute for work, but retains a rural feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.