Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:02 PM

12,812 posts, read 9,536,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoles19 View Post
i am a single mom i have been thinking about moving to a different state i'm researching what could be my best fit right now my son is two ears old and i was thinking that if i wanted to change how our lives are going i should start now while he so young but would it be worth moving away from familiar surroundings, family. i don't really have a social life i work and take care of my son while living with my mom but i feel like i'm holding myself back from potentially being happy im trying to determine if i should just move away so i can be more self sufficient
Are you currently paying rent? If not, are you ready to pay rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
I'm a single mother of 4, my oldest is 18, and my youngest is 10.. I live in a small town in Texas, and I feel that it's just time to move forward where my children will have greater opportunities. I'm nervous and don't know what to expect if I decide to move out of state. Any suggestions

Old 10-09-2017, 04:48 PM

66 posts, read 69,199 times
deleted because the OP posted way back in 2009! oops. just noticed lol

Old 10-09-2017, 04:49 PM

66 posts, read 69,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessieann35 View Post
I'm a single mother of 4, my oldest is 18, and my youngest is 10.. I live in a small town in Texas, and I feel that it's just time to move forward where my children will have greater opportunities. I'm nervous and don't know what to expect if I decide to move out of state. Any suggestions
the reasons for wanting to move in your case make sense. I would say it makes the most sense to just move to the nearest big city if greater opportunities is all you're after.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,185 times
I know the original post is very old but was wondering if you ever made the move? I’m in almost the exact same boat as you except I only have 1 child.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:11 PM

71 posts, read 193,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicmama33 View Post
I know the original post is very old but was wondering if you ever made the move? I’m in almost the exact same boat as you except I only have 1 child.
Yes, we made the move away from family and friends. It was a great decision and we are all happy here. My kids are teenagers now and they don't have any issues with friends because of school and our neighborhood. As an adult, it's harder to make friends but there are ways to meet people. I've found a great church that's very large and active. They offer plenty of social groups and opportunities to volunteer. I've met some great people there (as well as my children). You can also meet adults through your child's friendships and I've bonded with people this way.

As for family, we can see them throughout the year when they visit (and vice versa). The same goes with old friends visiting. It hasn't been a problem really. You just have to make more of an effort.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
I am a single Mom of 2 children with special needs. Its a small move, but looking to move to the southern part of Maine. I don't have anyone but my kids. I don't drive and scared to death. Anyone that knows me, knows that for me to move alone (without a boyfriend) is a big deal. I always end up back in my home town, but I hate it here and it makes me so depressed. i need to do this for my kids and I am I am lost at what the hell I am doing or how to do it. My kids even want to move in the worse way. I want to succeed on my own with my kids.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyseekingmore View Post
I am a single mom with three small children who is considering a move to another state with no family or friends. I moved to Columbus, Ohio about three years ago from San Diego, California after my husband died so that I could be closer to my sister. Well, after living in Ohio after three years, I realize that this isn't my cup of tea. I want to start over some place else and don't want to limit myself to just where family and friends are located. I've lived overseas and a few other places and know that I don't want to live in Ohio for the long term. Money and finding a job isn't an issue because even in death, my husband is still the breadwinner and I haven't worked in 7 years. I'm open to any place too. Currently, I don't rely on my sister too much to look after the kids, but having that security is nice (just in case). However, is this enough to stay in a place that I'm not happy? My children are in a great Christian school and that's the only thing that holds me back. The issue is...Am I nuts for wanting to do this solo? Are there any other single parents that have already gone (or are going) through this?

Thanks
I am divorced and have a 15-year-old autistic son. My current city does not have a school dedicated to autism support. I would like to move from Spokane, WA to Phoenix, Arizona. I don't own a car. I have packed halfway and unpacked twice in the same home. This is a battle that I need to fight. I am a mom who is deaf. My mom discouraged me to not go alone on the road if I got my driver's license again. I cannot tolerate this! It's snowing right now, and I feel trapped. I own my home with no mortgage. I might have to pay a professional mover to move all my stuff or give my stuff to charity. I feel very trapped. I used a real estate agent. She tells me that I want to move, stay, move, and stay...she fails to understand my situation. They judged me for being unstable, so I got rid of those real estate agents. How frustrating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.