Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which best describes how you pronounce "Pecan"?
puh-Kahn 36 34.29%
Puh-kahn 10 9.52%
Pee-can 15 14.29%
pee-Can 8 7.62%
Pee-kahn 33 31.43%
Other (describe as you can) 3 2.86%
I don't know what they are! 0 0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

Yes, but is it Ah-mish or Ay-mish (or as my mom says AM-ish)???

LOL

My mother always told me not to pronounce it Pee-CAN because the Pee-CAN was under the bed. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Actually, this Texan pronounces it both ways and I've heard many other southerners pronounce it numerous ways, as well.

I don't know, it seems like when I'm talking about the pie, I say "PEE-can", but when I'm talking about the tree or the nut itself, "puh-KAHN" sounds more right.
That's interesting, MrMcCoy.

I've spent quite a bit of time in North, Central, East, and West Texas and I've never heard "pee-can." If I here "pee-can" here in the South-Central (OK, TX, AR) I would immediately think it is a transplant.

What part of Texas do you live in?

Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
That's interesting, MrMcCoy.

I've spent quite a bit of time in North, Central, East, and West Texas and I've never heard "pee-can." If I here "pee-can" here in the South-Central (OK, TX, AR) I would immediately think it is a transplant.

What part of Texas do you live in?
I live in Temple now, and a majority of my time in Texas has been spent in Central TX, but I've lived all over this state except for the Panhandle and North TX. However, I'm based out of Georgia.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
From Atlanta, GA and I say pee-can. No offense, but, how the heck can a person get puh-kahn out of pecan? I can understand if you were British but puh-cahn and pee-cahn just doesn't sound right (kind of like a person saying car-mul for caramel) to me.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I live in Temple now, and a majority of my time in Texas has been spent in Central TX, but I've lived all over this state except for the Panhandle and North TX. However, I'm based out of Georgia.
>>>>>
However, I'm based out of Georgia.
<<<<<

I think this is the key here.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
From Atlanta, GA and I say pee-can. No offense, but, how the heck can a person get puh-kahn out of pecan? I can understand if you were British but puh-cahn and pee-cahn just doesn't sound right (kind of like a person saying car-mul for caramel) to me.
That's funny because I think folks that say "cara-mel" instead of "car-mul" sound kinda weird. I don't claim to talk right....I'm an Okie to the core! LOL!

This is an ongoing discussion I have with my African American friends....they all say "cara-mel," while me and my folk (Anglo/Native American mix) say "car-mul."

Old 11-29-2009, 12:05 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I usually say car-mul, maybe sometimes "Carmel" like the California town. I'm not sure I say it "car-a-mel" very often.

One that's odd, I guess, is that I say "both" like "bolth." In fact I thought everyone did and I said once "isn't odd that both has an l-sound in it even though it has no l." My parents were confused when I said that. My first thought was "you just don't realize you're pronouncing an l-sound", but when they said "both" and I listened there was no l-sound. They told me "yeah we never knew why you did that as you were raised by us, but we didn't want to say anything." Also I tend to say "in least I" instead of "at least I." That's another thing I thought was commonplace, but now I know it's pretty much just me. (As in I did a Google search for "In least I" and stuff I wrote online was one of the few things to have it)

Note: Looking that up Both pronounced as "Bolth" is apparently called "intrusive-L" and it sounds like it occurs in parts of Delaware and Texas. However I've never been to either place and I have no ancestors in either place so far as I know. Curious.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 11-29-2009 at 12:14 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post

Ive never heard anyone say cara-mel, I thought only people in the commercials talked that way or upper class people.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:15 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Ive never heard anyone say cara-mel, I thought only people in the commercials talked that way or upper class people.
I've never heard anyone say "car-mul"

Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I usually say car-mul, maybe sometimes "Carmel" like the California town. I'm not sure I say it "car-a-mel" very often.

One that's odd, I guess, is that I say "both" like "bolth." In fact I thought everyone did and I said once "isn't odd that both has an l-sound in it even though it has no l." My parents were confused when I said that. My first thought was "you just don't realize you're pronouncing an l-sound", but when they said "both" and I listened there was no l-sound. They told me "yeah we never knew why you did that as you were raised by us, but we didn't want to say anything." Also I tend to say "in least I" instead of "at least I." That's another thing I thought was commonplace, but now I know it's pretty much just me. (As in I did a Google search for "In least I" and stuff I wrote online was one of the few things to have it)

Note: Looking that up Both pronounced as "Bolth" is apparently called "intrusive-L" and it sounds like it occurs in parts of Delaware and Texas. However I've never been to either place and I have no ancestors in either place so far as I know. Curious.
>>>>>
One that's odd, I guess, is that I say "both" like "bolth."
<<<<<

I had a junior high math teacher that pronounced it "bolth." Man, did he catch flack from us irreverent Okie kids. If I remember correctly, he was from Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.