Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times

Advertisements

Here at Texas Southern University; I'd say or cities, Los Angeles, Chicago, DC, New Orleans, and Bay Area. For states; It would probably be a tie between Louisiana and California. Michigan and DC are up there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:46 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
I went to college in Virginia. Lots of out-of-staters from Maryland, Philadelphia, NJ and NY.

I went to grad school in New Jersey. Students were from everywhere, lots from NY, MA, NC, Atlanta, CA, TX.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:40 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Here at Texas Southern University; I'd say or cities, Los Angeles, Chicago, DC, New Orleans, and Bay Area. For states; It would probably be a tie between Louisiana and California. Michigan and DC are up there too.
A lot of people from Louisiana at UH as well. In general, it seems like a lot of people from Cali go to school in Texas (not just in Houston) for some reason. I've never really understood why. California has tons of great colleges, so why go all the way to Texas and pay out of state tuition?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
A lot of people from Louisiana at UH as well. In general, it seems like a lot of people from Cali go to school in Texas (not just in Houston) for some reason. I've never really understood why. California has tons of great colleges, so why go all the way to Texas and pay out of state tuition?
The Californians that I know have family here (not just living in Houston, but Texas in general) or they say they just wanted to get away.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:49 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Cincinnati (and Dayton) dominates nearly every college in Kentucky. A lot of times it's kids whose parents moved there from Kentucky and send their kids back to go to college.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM

103 posts, read 259,986 times
Quote:
BOO Texas Southern LOL just playing I go to UAPB we just play yall in the lone star classic

Old 12-01-2009, 05:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
The Californians that I know have family here (not just living in Houston, but Texas in general) or they say they just wanted to get away.
It's strange because even the two years I spent at Abilene Christian Univ, a lot of people from Cali went to school there. More than any other state besides Texas. I guess your right though. It seems like there are a lot of connections between the two states and also Texas seems to be a popular place for Californians who want to "get away."

Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
I go to a fairly large school in Halifax, NS (no public/private distinction in Canada really) and I would say a solid 50% of students are from the Greater Toronto Area. Another big chunk are Nova Scotians. After Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary are probably the most represented "cities" (I assuming most people here wouldn't consider 2nd tier Ontario cities to be worth mentioning)

Allegedly, Nova Scotia is the most represented province here but it definitely seems like it is Ontario (probably cause some of those Nova Scotians commute or at least go home on weekends). Maine is definitely the most represented state followed by Mass, NH, and NY. Boston and NYC are the only major American metros I have met anybody from here.

There is also a fairly prominent island presence. A lot of Bermudians and Bahamians considering how large those countries are.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,448 times
West Virginia University-->Lots of New Jersey and Long Island natives. Others come mainly from the Pittsburgh suburbs, Maryland, and Virginia.

West Virginia Weselyan-->Many Pennsylvanians, Ohioans, Marylanders, and Virginians.

Waynesburg University-->In Waynesburg, PA. Very few from out of state, but mainly from West Virginia and Ohio.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:14 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,182 times
Quote:
That's the response I get from Texans in L.A. I think in general there is a huge exchange of students between the two states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.