Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:04 PM
SWV SWV started this thread

445 posts, read 1,337,423 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's a re-post but okay.

Name the cities and the sport, and the reason why it should.
If you think we're fine where we're at, please give your reasoning!

NHL as well!

Last edited by SWV; 12-01-2009 at 10:33 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Los Angeles will most likely get an existing NFL team in the next 1-2 years. The stadium issues out near City of Industry have mostly been resolved, and even if a team had to play in a temporary stadium while construction occured, it could happen as early as next season. Jacksonville seems to come up most frequently.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Los Angeles will most likely get an existing NFL team in the next 1-2 years. The stadium issues out near City of Industry have mostly been resolved, and even if a team had to play in a temporary stadium while construction occured, it could happen as early as next season. Jacksonville seems to come up most frequently.
That's good for LA!!!

Jacksonville, Florida?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Does he mean that Jacksonville will relocate?

I think once LA builds that stadium, the NFL couldn't deny them getting a team!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
NFL
Los Angeles - LA hasn't had a team since 1994. LA is long overdue, and I think the Jaguars would be a good team to move to LA.
Toronto - Toronto could very well successfully support an NFL team. I don't want the Bills to move there, but it is very likely they will.

MLB
Portland - I think an expansion to Portland could be a great idea. If they built a great stadium along the lines of Pittsburgh's PNC Park, baseball could do very well there.
Austin - With the statewide popularity of the Dallas Cowboys, with Texas already having the Mavericks, Rockets, and Spurs, and Austin's NCAA Longhorns, I don't think Austin needs an NFL or an NBA team. I think a baseball team could do well there if they built a stadium with a very fun and relaxed atmosphere, with great tailgating, and reasonably priced tickets...something along the lines of Miller Park in Milwaukee.

NBA
Seattle - After the Sonics left, I think Seattle could use a new NBA team.
Las Vegas - Las Vegas has no professional sports team, and I think an NBA team would be a fantastic start for the city as I can't see baseball being a big hit there, and I know the NFL has some reservations about Vegas because of all of the sports gambling.
St. Louis - Missouri needs a basketball team. An NBA team in St. Louis could build a large fanbase from both St. Louis and Kansas City.

NHL

Milwaukee - Wisconsinites love hockey, and I know that Wisconsin Badgers NCAA Hockey in Madison is very popular. I think an NHL team could do well there.
Salt Lake City - Winter sports are very popular in Utah, and if the city can support an NBA team, I think they could support an NHL team.
Seattle - Hockey is popular in Washington (maybe due to its proximity to Canada?). I think Seattle would be a great place for the NHL.

Last edited by jayp1188; 12-01-2009 at 11:19 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
I don't know if it's a re-post but okay.

Name the cities and the sport, and the reason why it should.
If you think we're fine where we're at, please give your reasoning!
I think you mean "major league" and not "national league."

In this economy there aren't too many cities willing to spend $1 billion for a new football stadium, Los Angeles excepted. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jaguars left Jacksonville for L.A.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Nashville Predators (NHL) left town, but then the question is where would they go. Most NHL teams aren't doing very well financially, and not many cities have lavish arenas that they're willing to give away in order to attract a hockey team. Hockey attendance is down just about everywhere, too.

I don't see any of the major league sports leagues expanding except soccer. And if MLS were to expand, Atlanta would be a perfect fit.

But what I think is more interesting is the fact that the NCAA is expanding into Canada by allowing universities in British Columbia to join.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
I actually hope Austin never gets an NFL team. At least not in a long time. It wouldn't be the same!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
NFL Team: Los Angeles & Toronto
MLB Team: Portland & Las Vegas
NBA Team: Seattle, Las Vegas, & St. Louis
NHL Team: Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, & Seattle
I agree with all but Los Angeles or Las Vegas.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 PM

National- Basketball, Football, Hockey...
National Basketball Association, National Football League, National Hockey League (I think)
Major- Baseball- Major League Baseball.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 12-02-2009 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the title of the thread was changed to address the issues you mentioned

Old 12-01-2009, 10:44 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Does he mean that Jacksonville will relocate?

I think once LA builds that stadium, the NFL couldn't deny them getting a team!
Yes, the Jacksonville, Florida Jaguars. The stadium probably would have to break ground, or LA county would have to offer some sort of guarantee, but it wouldn't be long after, an existing NFL team, (most likely Jacksonville), would commit to relocation.

The NFL has no plans for expansion at this time (in other words, new teams).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.