Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your favorite Sunbelt metropolitan regions?
Atlanta 14 17.07%
Charlotte 16 19.51%
Nashville 7 8.54%
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale 16 19.51%
Denver 14 17.07%
Phoenix 9 10.98%
Las Vegas 10 12.20%
Los Angeles 13 15.85%
San Diego 26 31.71%
other (please specify when you post) 21 25.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:37 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Denver is probably just as sunny as PHX, no joke. I believe Denver has over 300 days of sunshine a year, about the same as PHX. Sure it rains and snows in Denver, it rains in PHX too, and they get worse storms. And it does snow in southern AZ, but not as much as Denver. But in Denver they can enjoy the snow with the best ski resorts in the country.
I can tell right off the bat that statement you made is what you've heard, not what you've experienced. I've lived in Denver for 18 years, Phoenix for the last 3, and still go back to visit all the time (in Denver right now for a few weeks). The amount of thunderstorm activity in the summer in Denver knocks the socks off the so-called "monsoons" they get in Phoenix (which are pretty cool, admitedly). The Denver "300 days of sunshine a year" is an age old real estate/tourism promotion myth; the actual number is probably in the low 200s. And what is considered a "day of sunshine"? In Phoenix, almost every single day of the year is pure blue sky, all day long, day after day-- at most with wispy barely formed desert clouds. In Phoenix, you're lucky if you can get one overcast day a month!

Denver is simply not like this; clouds are constantly coming and going, the weather is always changing every hour. You want to talk about "snow"?-- whatever "snow" the outskirts of Phoenix may have gotton this year is anecdotally amusing (it also "snowed" in LA this year too), but statistically nothing: 0.0 inches. And even that occurs only once every 10 or so years. I remember that day when the news made a big deal about it; well, I didn't see one ounce of snow in Tempe. Maybe from your p.o.v in Chicago Denver is the "Sunbelt," but not by the standards of the southwest. I was home last winter when we got pounded with two major blizzards in a row. Here's a quick reality check, both pictures I took within a month of each other:

Denver (late December 2006):

Phoenix (in January 2007):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 06:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
*sigh*

Some people are just oblivious I guess... I guess you want physical proof? Here you go... And I can also find MANY pics of Denver in January with no snow, and *GASP*, guess what? Pics of Illinois in January with no snow! Shocker! LOL

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/...y=#slideanchor

And Denver receives 70% sunshine, which is hardly shabby. Thats pretty close to 300 days a year Id imagine, but Im hardly a math whiz. LOL

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...pctposrank.txt

Illinois in late January (near Galena):

Old 05-17-2007, 08:47 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
The houses are on top of each other,

Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 PM

353 posts, read 503,776 times
Denver is culturally part of the sunbelt. But meteorilogically it is not the best weather. It is cold and snowy come wintertime.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:26 PM

12 posts, read 61,829 times
San Diego, like many "sunny" places, is fantastic for vacations, but not very good for realistic down to earth day to day living. It's overcrowded, congeested, polluted, mean spirited, with no sense of community and a transient population. Tough place.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:29 PM

12 posts, read 61,829 times
Dear Steve-o,

Why do you pick January as the Tell All month of graat places to live or not live? Heck, I'd choose Arizona hands down for the best place to pass the winter, and I've lived for years in : Wisconsin, California - southern and bay area, Oregon, Washington and Arizona. Oh, and New Mexico. I have to say that I just loved the New Mexico winters. SO SUNNY! And four seasons. Joyous people. Low cost of living. Pretty nice.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:33 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
seashell, I didnt pick January, vegaspilgrim did. I just illustrated something along those lines... As for AZ winters? No doubt mild, but theyre hardly the best in the country, not even close. LA or San Diego or Miami or Honolulu have much nicer winters.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:51 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,581 times
Los Angeles, of course!!! The most dynamic, diverse, exciting, fun and most beautiful of them all.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:38 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Moving beyond our debate on taxonomy... I'll put in a vote for Las Vegas. 'nuff said.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:48 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Does anybody care that there are cities missing off this list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.