Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 12:36 PM

93,153 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if other areas around the country have similar light shows like this one in my area for the holidays?

Lights on the Lake

According to a program for this show, about 10% of the people that saw it came from out of state, including Canada. Another 8% came from parts of NY State at least 50 miles from the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 12:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times
There's the Jones Beach light show here. You drive your car through it along the beach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhx6rMUFFvI

And it was always a tradition in the town I lived in that had a Christmas parade driving through all the neighborhoods. The town fire departments would decorate their trucks and the police cars and play music as they rode along your block. The Santa at the end would throw out candy canes. A lot of towns on Long island do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPSjmw_h5N4

Old 12-06-2009, 01:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Chicago always has the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival every year. I think this was the 50th annual.

This year they drew around one million people. I don't go because I get annoyed with all the crowds and kids, but it's always live on TV which I've seen once or twice. It's normally dozens of floats, marching bands, huge floodlights, Disney characters, etc. They light up over a million lights along 200 trees and buildings covereing Michigan Ave, followed by a large fireworks display on the Chicago River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.