Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 05:49 PM

146 posts, read 508,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Spoken like someone who knows NOTHING about the subject he is talking about.

Let's take this one at a time:

Arizona Cardinals - new stadium recently built in one of the country's largest media markets. They're going nowhere.

Cincinnati Bengals - The Bengals are NOT a low support team. The Bengals ARE making money. Cincinnati is NOT in the Indianapolis market. If anything, the Colts moved in on the Bengals' market.

Carolina Panthers - no reason for them to move

Tennessee Titans - no reason for them to move

Detroit Lions - see AZ Cards

San Diego Chargers - they might move; but for the the reason you gave

Green Bay Packers - The fact that you think they even can move tells me all I need to know about your knowledge on the subject
I like your way of reasoning.
Asking the Arizona Cardinals & Detroit Lions to leave would be like asking Indianapolis Colts & Dallas Cowboys to leave. They all got new stadiums, so the city must love their teams to give them what they want. Why would you want to Arizona Cardinals to leave anyhow. They went to a Superbowl & they made it to the playoffs this year. They are a good team. I hope they win a couple of superbowls. I also hope all the teams above win at least one superbowl in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Personally, I wish the Jaguars would stay where they are, because I like em. But in my eyes, they're the only team that should even be mentioned for relocation.

The team that comes second in relocation talks is San Diego, only because it seems that they can't figure out what they want to do with a stadium. But other than what I mentioned, NO other team should go anywhere.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 PM

146 posts, read 508,846 times
& what is sad is San Diego has a vary nice stadium. I love the fact that they have the different team pictures in their stadium. I actually hope the Jaguars stay too & hope San Diego stays too. Why can't we just expand the league again & have 33 or 34 teams & go up to 40 giving each Division 5 teams instead of 4. That way everyone can be happy. That's 8 new teams

Old 01-24-2010, 12:20 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Couldn't they just do a full renovation of the Murph/Qualcomm/etc. and add more suites? (I'm guessing that's what making the Chargers need a new stadium)

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorac
I love the fact that they have the different team pictures in their stadium.
Yeah, that's pretty cool. I think that's the only stadium left where they have the banners for the other teams in the league.

They had them in the rafters at the Astrodome during some years when the Oilers played there, or at least they put them up after baseball was over.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Couldn't they just do a full renovation of the Murph/Qualcomm/etc. and add more suites? (I'm guessing that's what making the Chargers need a new stadium)

I guess the answer to that is, no. Teams nowadays only look for a new stadium. Soldier Field is the only stadium I can think of that made a full renovation a few years ago and people are still made about that.

Last I heard, the Chargers were looking for a spot in some suburban towns in and around San Diego.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I guess the answer to that is, no. Teams nowadays only look for a new stadium. Soldier Field is the only stadium I can think of that made a full renovation a few years ago and people are still made about that.

Last I heard, the Chargers were looking for a spot in some suburban towns in and around San Diego.
The main reason people are still mad about the renovations to Soldier Field is because the place is supposed to be a war memorial. That's why it's called Soldier Field. In short, they defiled a tribute to our war dead to make a few more bucks. If they had done a tasteful renovation/updating, maybe people wouldn't have been so upset. But they didn't, they completely defiled the place; while it was technically a "renovation" in theory, in practice it was a full-out tear-down and rebuild. They basically built a new, freestanding structure inside the old exterior shell, which no longer serves any structural purpose. And frankly the juxtaposition of the old colonnades and the new stadium is just ridiculous. Pics of old v. new stadium for comparison:

OLD

NEW

http://www.gbsurvey.com/jss/images/SoldierField.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
California deserves five teams before Florida deserves two.
Huh?

California population and rank/NFL teams - 36,756,666/ 1 / 3
Texas population and rank/NFL teams - 24,326,974/ 2 / 2
New York population and rank/NFL teams - 19,490,297/ 3 / 3
Florida population and rank/NFL teams - 18,328,340/ 4 / 3
Missouri population and rank/NFL teams - 5,987,580/18/ 2

How does Missouri get two and Florida deserves just two? Or New York which barely has more population than Florida, deserves three?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Technically only one NFL team plays in New York and that's the Bills.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Technically only one NFL team plays in New York and that's the Bills.
Technically, but NY is what's on their helmets.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Huh?

California population and rank/NFL teams - 36,756,666/ 1 / 3
Texas population and rank/NFL teams - 24,326,974/ 2 / 2
New York population and rank/NFL teams - 19,490,297/ 3 / 3
Florida population and rank/NFL teams - 18,328,340/ 4 / 3
Missouri population and rank/NFL teams - 5,987,580/18/ 2

How does Missouri get two and Florida deserves just two? Or New York which barely has more population than Florida, deserves three?
Missouri's population is very concentrated in two large metropolitan areas...so even though the state isn't as populated as Florida, it's urban centers are large enough to support 2 teams. I don't agree with the poster that stated Florida doesn't "deserve" 3 teams.

I doubt decisions to award NFL franchises are based on state population...I'm sure there is some consideration as to how much support a team will get from residents all over the state, but most important is the support it will get from local fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.